Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 1660

Thread: Noobs! Introduce Yourselves!

My Cars
    2001 Z3 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Welcome, lurker.

Your front bumper/curb parking is giving me anxiety.
    It was early days in ownership. Glad to report zero damage and a much more savvy owner.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by hancod View Post
    It was early days in ownership. Glad to report zero damage and a much more savvy owner.
    The day I installed a pair of splitters on my M Roadster, I parked just a little too close and thought I ruined everything. Shockingly, no damage aside from a hairline scratch on the bottom of one splitter that I had to look extra hard to find. I'm extra careful now too.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 roadster2.3i
    Hey there!
    I'm gordsnatcher. I snatch gords! (don't ask)
    I am an appliance technician (a very good one) and an automotive tinkerer (a rank amateur one)

And now, my story...

Two months ago my old Ford Ranger left it's transmission in Barstow CA, and I was obliged to leave the rest of the truck there with it, along with the newly built flatbed :-( I got back home by other means and set about finding a replacement. To my surprise, there were no small trucks, jeeps, or anything else in that vein to be had, so I started looking for anything that could get me home for the holidays.

What I found was a 2000 Z3 2.3i convertible with 104K on the odo. It had horribly unsafe rear tires (first thing I replaced), badly sun-damaged paint job, worn top, slightly torn seats, significant camber on the rear wheels, more minor cosmetic problems than I could count, and no engine problems to speak of. It was a father/son project car that the father/son had gotten in over their heads on.

But I can do better.......... right?

I bought it last week for a song, and now I intend to work on it till it is fully restored or I get a girlfriend, whichever comes first!

I plan to start by replacing the rear trailing arm bushings (I confirmed they are cracked and soft, sounds like the IE bushings are a favorite here-bouts) replacing the rear dif bearings and seals (it whines and the oil was a tad low) and generally overhauling the back end. So far those are the worst problems I can find, but who knows what might be in store?

After that, I will move on to the front strut reinforcement kit (seems worth it) then the stereo system (antenna broken, code locked, and who owns cassette tapes anyway?) then the minor interior problems (broken passenger door handle and lots of little fiddly bits snapped or worn) then re-cover the seats, replace the top, and finally paint! (I'm thinking blue/green chameleon)

Should be fun!
    Last edited by gordsnatcher; 11-22-2021 at 07:54 PM.

My Cars
    S52 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by gordsnatcher View Post
    What I found was a 2000 Z3 2.3 convertible with ... significant camber on the rear wheels
    Stock rear camber is negative 1.5-2.5 degrees IIRC. Which is a lot and a wide range.
    They're not adjustable from the factory but plenty of people sell weld on kits that use eccentric bolts from another model (e34 or e28 I think) to adjust the toe and camber in the rear.
    It's not a horribly difficult job, but it's not a small job to pull the subframe and weld them on and elongate the holes.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Welcome Gordsnatcher, I bought a 96 last year as a project car and am planning to do the subframe bushing soon. From what I've read here, use OE-Style rubber RTABs as the poly ones always end up squeaking. It's OK to use the IE poly subframe bushings though and I think they're easier to install. Since you'll have to drop the subframe, consider replacing the differential bushing(s) too - and there is some feeling here that hard Poly can cause the welds to crack, so I plan to use OE-style rubber. For the seat repairs, I'm very happy with leather I got from LSeat.com (I went with White with Black inserts). There leather is $400 and a local shop did the install for a total of $1000.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3i
    Hello from Western PA.
    We purchased a 2000 Z3 2.3 last year to replace our 95 Miata. We purchased it with 75K miles on the car. We purchased it while in Florida for the winter, so with 3 vehicles and 2 drivers I had to fly back to Florida to retrieve the Miata in the spring. Besides tires and brake pads, the only other necessary maintenance was replacing the front struts. I do have a new water pump and thermostat housing to install this winter. It started leaking oil from the valve cover so a new gasket is on order. The Z3 is much more comfortable on long trips than the Miata was.

My Cars
    96 BMW Z3
    Hello from Western PA.
    Send pictures... sounds like you got a very nice replacement for an old Miata. They're fun in AutoX, but for a trip, the Z3 is a much better choice.
    Claude Berman, 96 Z3 Production Date 2/96 BMW CCA# 581686
    The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance. Socrates, 469–399 B.C.E

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Coupe
    Nice to see the great support of the Z3, happy to be a new owner and join. I bought a ’98 E36 Z3 - 115k early this year – first BMW since my ’69 1602 back in the 70s. Absolutly love it. California car, the body is in superlative shape, mechanicals are great, but needed ‘rejuvenation’ of defered maint– valve cover gasket (wow, much harder than the 1602 - haha), electric seat Delrin spacers, fix the glovebox ‘sag’ issue, all the fluids, leather wheel cover, shifter boot. All low hanging fruit. I added an aftermarket remote keyless to the car – I hesitate to say the brand, apparently there is one of the forum ‘lords’ who literally blocked me when I unknowingly posted a good experience with them – a total uncalled for DH/AH – but back to the car, I was stunned that while the E36 would bring the windows auto up on a click, there was no provision for DOWN on a remote click in the factory configuration of the car – the BMW Codes as some call them, basically firmware settings you can adjust with a PC, the right connector, plug and software. It's a drop top, why NOT the windows!? I checked, auto UP is provisioned from BMW factory, there is no auto down – until now. I built an auto-down on remote system. Will post the details/pics/schematics/code shortly.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M roadster
    hi. About 7 years ago my wife wanted a sporty convertible. (The kids were grown up and had mostly left home). I found a foxbody Mustang convertible that I brought home, removed the engine, and rebuilt with go-fast goodies. Needless to say, Deb no longer wanted the Mustang. I then moved to a Chrysler Sebring. Unloaded it within a month - no thanks. I then found a 2000 estoril blue Z3 2.3. Finally, a happy wife. She drives this all year long (winters in Pittsburgh are lots of ice, snow, steep hills, and SALT!) At almost 200,000 miles and several winters, it is getting rough. (She recently had someone tell her as she was getting fuel... Wow, I have never seen a pretty BMW look so rusty and old.) When she first got it, I managed to convince her to let me drive it. I was sold on the car - except it was hers and she doesn't like to share it. So I found a 1999 black z3 2.8. Faster but not fast enough. Looking some more, I found a silver z3m roadster. After the M roadster joined the fleet, I was reminded by Deb that her Z3 was getting rough. So I found another 2000 estoril blue z3 which will replace her current Z3 at the end of this winter. I think we are hooked! With 4 z3's I have completed many fixes and updates. (Replacing roof on 2nd blue Z3 right now) I enjoy the cars (including the wrenching) and I'm always on the lookout for another one. kurt
    Kurt
    1998 BMW M Roadster
    1999 BMW Z3
    2000 BMW Z3
    2000 BMW Z3
    2008 BMW R1200GS

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by kurt141 View Post
    hi. About 7 years ago my wife wanted a sporty convertible. (The kids were grown up and had mostly left home). I found a foxbody Mustang convertible that I brought home, removed the engine, and rebuilt with go-fast goodies. Needless to say, Deb no longer wanted the Mustang. I then moved to a Chrysler Sebring. Unloaded it within a month - no thanks. I then found a 2000 estoril blue Z3 2.3. Finally, a happy wife. She drives this all year long (winters in Pittsburgh are lots of ice, snow, steep hills, and SALT!) At almost 200,000 miles and several winters, it is getting rough. (She recently had someone tell her as she was getting fuel... Wow, I have never seen a pretty BMW look so rusty and old.) When she first got it, I managed to convince her to let me drive it. I was sold on the car - except it was hers and she doesn't like to share it. So I found a 1999 black z3 2.8. Faster but not fast enough. Looking some more, I found a silver z3m roadster. After the M roadster joined the fleet, I was reminded by Deb that her Z3 was getting rough. So I found another 2000 estoril blue z3 which will replace her current Z3 at the end of this winter. I think we are hooked! With 4 z3's I have completed many fixes and updates. (Replacing roof on 2nd blue Z3 right now) I enjoy the cars (including the wrenching) and I'm always on the lookout for another one. kurt
    Welcome to the forum, there's lots of info and knowledgeable people here willing to help.

My Cars
    1999 BMW z3 1.9L
    Hi! I'm Aaron, I'm 17, got this beat up Z3 1.9 1999 for around 1000 dollars! I love cars so much and my dad finally let me get a car ahaha. Found BF.c searching for forums to ask about my car! UH well I got a lot planned for the car. Complete revamp, tubular chassis perhaps, engine swap, the works! My goal is to make it fast and sexy THE CAR IS MAD BEAT UP THOUGH, I'm stripping it down to the bare chassis right now.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    I inherited my father’s Z3. It’s a 2001 model. He bought it in 2004 with 36xxx miles. As it sits today, it’s got 41,500 miles. He loved it, took impeccable care of it, and enjoyed driving it on those somewhat rare occasions. 2.5L, 5 speed.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by fivestar51 View Post
    I inherited my father’s Z3. It’s a 2001 model. He bought it in 2004 with 36xxx miles. As it sits today, it’s got 41,500 miles. He loved it, took impeccable care of it, and enjoyed driving it on those somewhat rare occasions. 2.5L, 5 speed.
    Wow, your dad drove just like mine. He bought his in 2012 with 12.5k. It has just under 16k now.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 12-16-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by AyAy View Post
    Hi! I'm Aaron, I'm 17, got this beat up Z3 1.9 1999 for around 1000 dollars! I love cars so much and my dad finally let me get a car ahaha. Found BF.c searching for forums to ask about my car! UH well I got a lot planned for the car. Complete revamp, tubular chassis perhaps, engine swap, the works! My goal is to make it fast and sexy THE CAR IS MAD BEAT UP THOUGH, I'm stripping it down to the bare chassis right now.
    You got your work cut out for you! Welcome and enjoy the ride!

My Cars
    '96 Dodge Caravan
    Welcome to all of the new members! If you get around to it, maybe start a thread with pics and details of your cars and show us what you're doing with them. I personally love that stuff over only having "hey how do I fix this problem" posts. I like seeing old, broken things/cars fixed and made nice.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 2.5i
    Hello everyone,

I just joined as I picked up a 2002 Z3 2.5i for my son today to learn how to drive a manual transmission car and to start wrenching together. And oh my goodness is this car much more fun that I expected. I am avid DIY guy mostly in the Porsche 964 community but hope to work together with my son to take care of this car. We had fun for a few hours today as he is mastering the art of a manual trans with a smile on his face the whole time.

Overall it is in great shape. California car and everything appears to be working. 98,280 miles. We did notice some kind of knock, multiple knocks between 1st and 2nd gear shifts when the clutch is down and you are in the process of shifting. I hope to get the car on my lift soon and start to take a look and research more about this issue. Love the FAQ and hope to learn about all the trouble spots and preventative maintenance to take care of so my son can build some wrenching skills.

All the best,
    Ricardo

Last edited by RicardoD; 12-18-2021 at 11:02 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoD View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just joined as I picked up a 2002 Z3 2.5i for my son today to learn how to drive a manual transmission car and to start wrenching together. And oh my goodness is this car much more fun that I expected. I am avid DIY guy mostly in the Porsche 964 community but hope to work together with my son to take care of this car. We had fun for a few hours today as he is mastering the art of a manual trans with a smile on his face the whole time.

Overall it is in great shape. California car and everything appears to be working. 98,280 miles. We did notice some kind of knock, multiple knocks between 1st and 2nd gear shifts when the clutch is down and you are in the process of shifting. I hope to get the car on my lift soon and start to take a look and research more about this issue. Love the FAQ and hope to learn about all the trouble spots and preventative maintenance to take care of so my son can build some wrenching skills.

All the best,
    Ricardo

Welcome Ricardo. .got any pics? Also, the Z3 is a great car to learn wrenching on. It's pretty easy to work on. After making sure that any delayed maintenance issues are taken care of, a lot of folks like to replace the original rubber suspension bushings with either new rubber or poly, depending on the ride/handling balance you are after.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 2.5i
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt Clagwell View Post
    Welcome Ricardo. .got any pics? Also, the Z3 is a great car to learn wrenching on. It's pretty easy to work on. After making sure that any delayed maintenance issues are taken care of, a lot of folks like to replace the original rubber suspension bushings with either new rubber or poly, depending on the ride/handling balance you are after.
    Ok, let me see if this works as I am still figuring out how to post photos here. Most others forums I participate in photos can be attachments and not URL links.

------------------
    Ricardo
    1982 BMW 320i
    1990 964 Carrera 4

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Once you’ve made 100 posts you can attach photos directly. Looks like you found one in nice shape. The 2.5 engine is practically bulletproof if serviced properly.

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    'nice car. I bet he's the coolest kid in the neighborhood.

My Cars
    with cheeseeeeeeee

Moon

happy winter solstice

nn6v6zpf9z681.jpg
    google-black.blogspot.com kenvsryu.tumblr.comsonyalphanex.blogspot.com

Spence:You ever kill anyone? Sam:No, but I did hurt somebody's feelings once.
    join the Bimmerforums Chat: http://youtube.com/stream?s=235077632

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Wow, your dad drove just like mine. He bought his in 2012 with 12.5k. It has just under 16k now.
    Haha Nice! Yeah, he rarely drove it the older he got. Id say most of those 5,000 miles were put on within the first 6 yrs or so of his ownership. After that, it became more of a special/rare occasion for him to drive it. Especially these last 5 yrs or so, when his health started to decline due to age and then ultimately cancer.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0i Coupe
    After owning a '99 328i for 7 years, then moving to a '14 Audi S4, I've come back to something more suited to my taste. Picked up this '02 3.0i this week. 144k on the clock, cosmetically in great shape, runs strong, needs some love to tighten it up a bit. Stoked to be back in a BMW!

Eazs3cYfREma+qLWHYPqHw.jpg

My Cars
    F85 X5M, E36/7 Z3M

Noobs! Introduce Yourselves!

Hey everyone, over the summer I picked up a 2002 M roadster with 65k km’s (40k miles). Love the car so far and plan to keep this one long term as my “classic car”. I’m sure I’ll have many questions going forward but for now it’s stored for the winter. I’ve already bought polyurethane subframe bushings to be installed next season to hopefully prevent any subframe issues (no cracked spot welds yet).

Thanks!

Last edited by gkt4; 01-02-2022 at 08:49 AM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Waddup everyone. Ive had my Z for about a year or more now and just found this forum. Glad to see a there is still a community for these cars.

I currently work as a Tech for Toyota.
    Got her at 115k and now at 133k. :P

Plan on getting rims on her soon & need a new soft top as it leaks a lot from the rain down here.

I have her listed on marketplace but I may hold on to the chassis.

Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364656667 LastLast