Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 631464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1660

Thread: Noobs! Introduce Yourselves!

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Kevin Burns, glad to meet you. It's pretty simple. Back in the late 90's I just loved the lines of the Z3 Roadster but was always into American V8's and such (Drag racing "Bracket racing").

Never really knowing the fun of a roadster, over the past 8 years or so my father owns a Miata. I drove his car a few times and kind of liked it "Kind of". I finally found a Z3 in the color and engine I always wanted. It's a rust free Arizona car. 1997 Z3 6 cylinder in Yellow. Drove it about 500 miles so far, and simply love it. The car was taken care of pretty well but it does have some small issues. A/C and Check Engine light. I'm not worried about the check engine light, as emissions "I live in Ohio"...We don't have emission testing. Eventually I'll look into it and fix it. The A/C and Check Engine Light "In that order" will come after the all important roll bar.

As far as modding it, I'm not to worried about that as I don't intend to race or do donuts or anything like that. At most maybe better bushings under the skin.
    More or less just tighten up the suspension a bit as I will be driving the car on highways at speed.

I will say this, I was impressed in 5th gear that the engine had so much passing power it blew my mind. I never knew what I was missing. After a week of driving this car my Benz E320 4matic felt like a stretched out rubber band.

Here's the kicker.
    I seen this car on Facebook marketplace. I made contact and drove down to "buy" the car (160 miles). Exactly as stated. When I arrived, I handed him the money. He asked if I was going to test drive it, I said no, do you have a phone I can use to call Triple A.
    (I don't use cell phones anymore).
    Blew his mind that I didn't want to test drive the car or even open the hood. "There is nothing on earth that can't be fixed anyways". Lucky nothing is wrong with this car and I didnt even know it was a rust free Alabama car until he told me.

DSCN4216.jpg
    Last edited by K&B.21; 05-25-2020 at 09:58 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 M Coupe

Intro and Alternator Qs.

Hello, my name is Steve and I live in Aptos, CA. I am the original owner of a 2000 Z3 M-coupe. The shoe has been a wonderful car, but with 20 years and 145+k mile on her, she is starting so show signs that certain items need refreshed. New H&R sport springs, urethane bushings all around, TC Klein rear shock mounts and fresh adjustable Konis returned all of the road feel and control has come back better than ever. But now the usual culprits are starting to go.

Yesterday it was the alternator. I am looking for advice on whether to go with the OEM 115 amp or move to a Bosch 140 amp alternator replacement which is roughly $350 less. Any guidance would be appreciated. I have the stock sound system, but have added fog and driving lights, bluetooth adaptor and a V1 radar detector. Anyone swap in the Bosch AL0739x 140 amp in their MZ3 S52? Any advice would be appreciated.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Roadster
    Hello! My name is Paul and I live in northern Missouri. I am the owner of a 2000 Z3 roadster. I have owned it since 2006 and drive it mostly in the summer on sunny days. I recently started thinking of selling it, but just couldn't. It is so much fun to drive. It has been a great little car.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8
    Rays_First_Car.2020-04-03.DSC_0172.Fullsize (2).jpg
    Hey guys! My name is Ray, Im from Northern California (just outside of Sacramento) and I bought a 2000 2.8 Z3 as my first car. With it came some adventures, the day after I bought it the alternator died, and the car lost all power in traffic.IMG_0368.jpg
    Luckily it made it safely to the side of the road. This then started my wrenching, I had never worked on a car before! Since then I've done a decent amount of preventative maintenance, and a bit to fix some issues. The list includes seat bushings, vanos rebuild, VCG, OFHG, and most recently giubo. When I did the giubo, the drive shaft would not slide back far enough, so I had to drop the exhaust. Those stupid exhaust nuts were so seized on, I sheared one off. Since my dad never really worked on cars himself, we didn't have any impact tools, I had done everything with hand tools and a bit of elbow grease! We finally gave in and purchased an impact to hopefully get the other 3 exhaust nuts off. None of the others sheared off, which was a relief to me. However I still had to deal with the last one, so using a combination of a hacksaw, and the neighbors drill that I borrowed, I was able to get the old stud out.
    IMG_0713.jpg

This all has happened within the last month and a half, and I've loved every minute of it. Oh, and this car was the first time I had ever driven a manual! I'm still trying to reduce the notorious driveline clunk on clutch disengagement, so any ideas would be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Welcome, dude. Like the silver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 2.5 Z3
    Hello!

My name is Charlene but my nickname is Charlie! I was born and raised in Tampa Fl and have been married for 5 years. My husband brought me a 1998 BMW Z3 2.5 for my 30th birthday and I love it! He use to own a 97 Z3 and a 97 Miata when we dated like 10 years ago so I learned driving stick with him.

We were excited so we snagged these photos on my birthday but I'll be posting better photos of just the car soon once we give her a good wash. My husband said the Z3 community online was great so here I am.

This girl has 95k miles, I'm the 3rd owner and she was garage kept by the last owner and I'm assuming the first owner to cause she's in pretty amazing condition for being 22 years old. Needs a couple things and she'll be like new. We got it for only $3,500.00 !!! Last owner literally had a huge shop parked with a bunch of nice cars lol.

102683269_246828839950304_915931059865045167_n by Charlene Smith, on Flickr

101966667_711275199637367_7690883079094828041_n by Charlene Smith, on Flickr

83612391_10157342036185841_286645709313146880_o-2 by Charlene Smith, on Flickr

101535998_10220799157182745_2351086345033613312_o by Charlene Smith, on Flickr
    Last edited by Charlie1990; 06-06-2020 at 10:48 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Is it a RHD?
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 BMW 2.5 Z3
    haha, no, my cell camera flipped it, I guess cause its the selfie cam?

Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    Is it a RHD?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8

Newb

Hello - I just joined today!

I got my black 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 two days ago. I love the car so far.

Funny story though. The day I was supposed to purchase the car at the bank the owner calls me and tells me he can't make it because the clutch pedal dropped to the floor. He was great about it and had it towed off and fixed. Here is a picture from that day.

https://imgur.com/a/5ehhMyy

It was fixed the next day, just needed a new slave cylinder.

I've only made a couple of short drives so far, but I'm enjoying it so far.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Welcome, nice looking Z3 you got there. They are a pleasure to drive especially with the top down! This fourm has a lot of knowledgeable members if you need any info.

My Cars
    2001 Bmw Z3 3.0i
    Hello everyone. My name is Will. Ever since I was younger, I have always been a huge fan of BMW. I have been looking for z3's for quite some time now with not much too luck. I'm really looking for a z3 I can finally learn manual on and work on. Could anyone help give some advice to an aspiring car enthusiast trying to find the right one?
    Thanks

My Cars
    1998 bmw z3
    Hi I’m Cole. I got a nice 1.9 w/ 24k miles a year ago. It’s not my daily driver, but I managed to put 3000 miles on it in the last year. Besides some minor aesthetic repairs, I’ve just upgraded the suspension w/ koni, h&r, and akg thanks to Ed at bimmerbum. I have a tuned ecu from midnight tuning I will install once I figure out how to align with the ews. And I’m thinking about brakes, although the stock seem pretty good. I’m basically trying to maximize what I have. Thanks to all here who have unknowingly help me so far

My Cars
    bmw z3
    Hey all. My name is Tom, from Iowa Park Texas. I bought a '97 Z3 last July, and have been enjoying it ever since. I've owned a number of sports cars over the years, but the past 10 or 12 years it's been (boring) wife cars. I decided to treat myself one more time before I get too old to enjoy it.(I'm 74) Took me several months to find one that fit my requirements ( manual transmission, NOT silver). I located this one on Craigslist in Killeen, Tx. 5 speed , black paint. and price was right. drove it back with my grandson, through a monsoon rain in Ft. Worth, not a drop leaked through the top, and it handled the wet, flooded roads really well. I decided to join the forum for friendship and tech help.

My Cars
    00 Z3M-07 Tacoma dbl cab

Wink

Hello from the gem state!

My names Jake, & I recently purchased a 00' z3 M roadster from a dealership in northern California.

Quoting Todd from Everyday Driver, I've been looking for some "running shoes" for a little over a year. I work out at sea for several months at a time & I already own a truck as the reliable winter ready vehicle so I wanted something that was just for fun. After modding my truck, I also wanted something that I could wrench on too. I bounced around from many different cars, going from a WRX to an RS to a BRZ/86, but I decided to ditch everyday practicality entirely & focus on roadsters after test driving an ND Miata before I left on my most recent trip haha. I didn't however want to get anymore in debt because I still have student loans, so I started researching other options while I was at sea. After coming back from a 5 month hitch (thank you covid & delaying crew reliefs) and with the same amount of time in research put in, I decided on the z3 M. I had always liked BMW & German cars, my previous car was an a3 before I sold it for the truck but I was hesitant to own another German car again. Two buddies of mine from college (one of whom owns an 8 series & introduced me to these forums) with an almost religious fervor eventually converted me. A week after I signed off the ship, I bought a ticket for me & my dad down to Sacramento where we I purchased my first BMW!

Current plans for the car are to keep it stock for the next couple months, but my build list is to upgrade the cooling system, then suspension, then if things are favorable look into FI. I do not plan on tracking the car, but I do plan on carving up some canyon & mountain roads here. Cheers

My Cars
    '98 Z3 2.8
    (With apologies to people really in AA): Hello my name is Scott and I'm a caroholic. Growing a red blooded American male its hard to resist the siren's call of the automobile, from hot wheels to movies featuring great cars during the 60s and 70s. Lustful dreams of youth are tempered by the reality of finances. But as one gets older, doors start to open.. car doors that is. I've owned the FWD 04-05 Impala SS with the supercharged 3.8L that I've done extensive work on. I've also owned classic Chevy Corvair early model convertible with its air cooled rear engine. Twisted the wrenches myself.

For several years I've been wanting to get back into a rag top. But one with some performance without eating me out of house and home in gas. And not one that is a bloated "muscle" car (aka Mustang, Camaro). The Miata is cute, but under powered, in my opinion. I still get wood at the looks of the front end of the Pontiac Solstice. Not crazy about the rear and the interior is crap, and handling/suspension is not up to being a "sport's car". But the Ecotec 2.0 turbo (GTX trim) pumps out 260HP and a 2.5K easy turbo upgrade nets another 100HP. Not bad for a four banger.

Recently I've been exploring electric car and conversions. Stumbled across several done on Z3/4s. Did a quick internet search for Zs in the area. Low and behold this nice little 1998 red number beacons me with her sexy red dress, long pointy roadster nose (missing on later Zs), and muscular flared rear. In it was the 2.8L with only 125K. After reading about this engine and taking the car for a spin, I think I'll run this engine to the ground before I'd want to swap it out. The reviews all talked about how smooth, refined, and powerful these BMW 6s are. Add me to the list of converts. I love the low end torque and how quiet the engine is, even with the top down. The slightly throaty, gurgling exhaust tones are perfect for my tastes. There when appropriate, never obnoxious.

As with most older cars, I'm slowly discovering it has all the classic Z3 issues: broken selt belt strap holders, rear diff weld sag, air bag warning light. The car interior and exterior overall isn't bad for a 20+ yr old car. In car years she is an old lady. But thanks to modern medicine (engineering), this base coat/clear coat paint system results in old tarts such as this look nearly showroom new. Granted, you ought to sand back and discount some of the wrinkles. She has some bad ones under her chin that looks like she had a fight with a low curb and lost, thus the scars to prove it as chipped spiderweb like on plastic spoiler/lower front opening.

My plans for her are to address some of the minor issues before checking out this whole rear end mess I've read about with reinforcement plates, etc. I do have a welder in the family (thank goodness). I'm also part of DIYMA (DIY mobile audio) group and I have a "blank canvas" in this car for audio update. Nice to have a simple car without any controls thru the radio. Having the battery right in the trunk is great for car audio saving me running expensive 4 gauge front to back. Due the small size of the vehicle and not wanting to take up all the limited trunk space, I'm most likely going with the smaller class D amps. 4 channels by 100W for less than $125 (Soundstream PN4.520D) in a 4.75"x9"x2" package gives me a light weight, space saving format.

One of the "crazy" things I want to do is a custom British car style tonneau cover over the entire cab. Not just behind the seats. Just something for the occasional Houston shower we get. The deal is, I LOVE driving with the top down, all the time! My idea is to use super magnets sewn into the edges to lip it over the cab and stay attached to the metal body without old fashion snaps. It would be split down the middle so the driver's side portion can be removed and the car driven partly covered. Again, instead of zipper, using magnets. The tricky part is going to be the dashboard area. I'm thinking about something like carving a pool noodle (closed cell polyethylene foam) to fit up in there for the cover to rest on/attach to and to raise it up enough to force water to drain down. The middle would be raised by something like a tent pole. I'm not looking for a solution that will withstand gale force winds and driving rain. Its really only the dash part I think is an issue. I also thought about something that would drop straight down from the windshield and past the steering wheel. But, in my mind, I don't like the aesthetics. I want more or less flat lines and a see thru windshield. Then again, an idea I just had: Just have the main cover go up and over the dash and just lay there (magnet hold). Then a clear heavy gauge plastic piece would clip into the top where the convertible top holes are and drop down over the steering wheel and extend just beyond the windows, thus keeping H20 out of the area and maintaining the looks. (I like this idea for simplicity). The sides of this clear cover could tab into the vertical door window track providing a rubber seal. So rain driving in that direction would hit the clear shield and go straight down to the main cover which is peaked slightly in the middle draining water to the sides.

Maybe I'll post my progress on this once I get this tonneau going. I also have fiberglass/epoxy skilz. Which means a sub box in the future. I could also do the front dash portion of the tonneau by molding a piece of fiberglass. Basically tape the whole section off and start laying FB right on the dash and windshield which insures you have the right shape and it fits. Otherwise use expanding foam and create a foam block that then is used as your mold. I'd also like to try molding these fairly simple door cards (thus adding room for door speakers in the pocket area, and/or smaller format speakers up high). This car also has very simple A pillar covers. Simply lovely to add stuff too. Short pieces, No modern air bag crap in there, etc.

Enough stuff for now. Just enjoying the crap out of this new (used) car. A blast to drive!

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8
    Hi all! Im Austin, and an avid car guy! Im in AZ and have a 97 2.8 z3. Fun little thing, but needs alot of work! Ive been lurking, gaining info and spending way too many hours in the garage already with this car. Ill be around, and looking for constant advice as I build her up! Look forward to being active on here.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3
    Hello everyone, my name is Rolf. I am 29 and live in Virginia. I am most definitely a noob to this forum as well as a noob to being a BMW owner. My girlfriend and I bought a 1997 BMW Z3 about a month ago as a fun car to have and drive around the state. Been really enjoying it and would like to fix up the interior a bit in the near future. It has a cassette holder in between the seats that I would like to replace (possibly with a leatherZ armrest), and the subwoofer in the back between the two seats needs replacing someday.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Hello all,

I have been lurking (and asking a question or two) to educate myself in anticipation of purchasing one of these fine cars. Finally I am an owner of a 2000 M. I’m a middle-aged guy who can finally afford the roadster he has always wanted and this car hits just such a sweet spot. Sort of at the beginning of modern safety (steel and crumple technology, airbags, etc) yet still really fully analogue. Like many here have observed, the styling has really aged well and I think captures all of the charm of traditional roadsters in a modern car (somehow ND Miatas or even S2000s just look too new to me). The engine is intoxicating and the car feels substantial. Perhaps equally importantly, I have been impressed by this community in both its technical knowledge and willingness to help. People sing the praises of the Miata community, but they really have nothing on the Z3 crowd. This makes me confident that I can keep this great car on the road. I’m looking forward to many years of great drives and projects.

Tom

My Cars
    98 Z3M Roaster
    Hi Fellow Members,

I purchased a 98 Z3M roadster back in early June. I found this is GA from the original owner who was a car fanatic....like the rest of us! Garaged since day one with every receipt and document including original window sticker. He owned several collectable cars with 2 lifts in his garage to fit them all. It was time to let many of them go. Once I decided I wanted a Z3M, I began the search from coast to coast. Many phone calls, facetime and videos of prospective cars. Once I found this car and spoke with the owner - I knew it was the one for me.

Imola Red with Black Leather. 47k miles and in very nice shape. Previous owner added a few modes early on: Dinan CAI, Dinan AFM, Dinan Strut Brace, Dinan Stage 4 tune, UUC short Shift Kit and a SuperSpring Exhaust. Everything else is mostly original. The tires are 17 years old and look new - must be replaced regardless.

In the few short months I have owned it I have replaced the rear window, a few belts, trans and brake fluid, new front pads, ZHP shift knob, corrected sagging glovebox, seatbelt guides, updated Dinan Stage 4 ECU tune with newest version, wind blocker and had a paint correction completed. My plans for the very near future - most likely this winter: Suspension refresh/upgrade - researching TC Kline and KW as I want to improve handling and lower that car just a bit without significant comfort loss. Replace subframe bushing as well as all related front and rear suspension bushings, 18" wheel/tire setup, fix seat bushing and completely overhaul that stereo.

My wife and I both have BMW daily drivers: 2015 2 Series and 2019 X3. I have had many summer cars along the way with the Miata NC being the last one prior to the Z3M. I spent way too much money modifying my Miata and was never really satisfied. I did just about everything shy of turbo/supercharger - which was on my list. It was time for a change. I researched many cars but never really gave the Z3 much of look and actually thought it was ugly. I was driving by a dealer on the east coast of NH that specializes in rare cool cars. They had a 2000 black on black Z3M. I said lets give this a try. To my surprise It provided me with the vintage feel I was after with just enough modern touches. The power and sound were right on. It changed my entire search. I knew that the Z3M was for me.

I have learned so much since joining this forum and look forward to a long relationship with my Z3M. Thank you to those that I have already reached out to via PM. I greatly appreciate the help.

695ACEE5-DA58-47FD-8756-182CD05EFC51.jpeg
    B9E6EF66-A89B-4A49-B900-22B5508C8D06.jpeg
    41E8C55A-88E1-4B14-8042-E759CBAE5C9D.jpeg
    58DDF8B3-088B-4A23-A972-4BFDCA50D2D1.jpeg
    98 Z3M Roadster | Hardtop | Dinan Throttle body, Hi Flow AFM, CAI, Strut Brace, Stage 4 ECU Tune | SuperSprint Exhaust | UUC Short Shift | TCK Suspension

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Looks like you got a good one, love that exhaust!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Looks mighty familiar Dino. My buying experience was much like yours. We're definitely two of the lucky ones. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 10-06-2020 at 09:14 AM.
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    WoW. We have gained a lot of enthusiasts, just in the past few months. Welcome to you all!
    I look forward to witnessing your journey and, perhaps each of us helping the other(s) a bit along the way.
    Enjoy the ride...
    Brad

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Hello,

I just signed up today! I've been a car and motorcycle guy most of my life. I rode motorcycles for a few decades but within the last couple of years, decided to quit while ahead. A minor crash on the Ducati prompted me to consider calling it. So, the Z3 was acquired to fill that 'fun' gap...and boy does it! The bikes are gone and the Z3 gets my undivided attention now...strictly a fun car, weekends, the twisties.

Things I'd like to do: stiffen the suspension, flash the ECU, cold air intake and better flowing (not necessarily louder) exhaust. The car is a 2000, with 152000 miles. I purchased from the second owner who has owned since 2001. I absolutely love this car! I got a little spoiled with the handling of my Cooper S and Miata, both of which I no longer own.

Chris

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Welcome! The Z3 easily beats out all the others.

I almost quit motorcycles this year, but found the perfect bike. A Suzuki DR650 dual sport. Just 360 lbs and mostly unchanged for 24 years. Carbureted, simple and absolutely bullet proof. I've had all types of bikes. None can fill the nitches like this one. I love everything about the Z3 and the DR. If you ever get the urge to ride again, check out the DR650. Not street bike fast, but more than capable of being fun on or off road.

Enjoy your Z3!
    You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster
    Noob. The Z3 has been one of my dream cars since 1995 and I wanted one real bad when I was seventeen. I now own a base model, and I think it’s great. It’s winter, and I keep the top down, unless it’s raining. It’s got a lot of work to go to get it purring, but it goes. It’s Alpine white with red interior, stock everything. Just replaced the brakes with a flush, radiator, and battery. 113k miles, it’s a 2000 Z3 2.3. My plan is to make it much better and trade up to an M 3.2 when I can’t stand not having one. Love the convertible. I feel like some of the other guys, like I want to ride a motorcycle all the time, but this is sweet as well.

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 631464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast