Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1660

Thread: Noobs! Introduce Yourselves!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Welcome. Lots of knowledge and wisdom on this forum. Ask for help any time you like.

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3 roadster
    the last thing i was told was that it has the euro chip in and it was set up to be run on the autobahn and then the guy left Germany and had the car flown back on a c130 transport directly to Florida, the only thing that says USA in the part that says its compliant with USA emissions standards. all the other badges are in German followed by English, and i believe it is in metric if i'm not mistaken. the part that throws me of is that is has a US VIN plate. according to my moms husband the first time the car was ever driven in the states was when he bought from the original owner right after he came back stateside from Germany. being my first BMW i am confused by this because as you stated all of the z3's were built in south carolina, did BMW maybe have a few done in Germany as like a prototype market test or something and maybe i was lucky enough to score one of those. that to me would be super awesome if it were case. regardless i can cruise in automatic or shift over to manual and have tons of fun either way.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    My name is Paul. Just purchased a 1998 M Roadster, picking it up tomorrow. Really happy with the purchase as it has only logged 28K miles and in pristine condition. Question for you guys. Looked at getting it shipped from Phoenix, but the reputable carriers all quoted north of $1,300 dollars so I'm planning on flying out there and driving the car home to Houston. Tires are good (5 years old) and I'll obviously check fluids before taking off. Any concerns I should be aware of given it's about a 1,000 mile trip? I did verify subframe welds are intact.file-4.jpegfile2-2.jpegfile1-2.jpeg

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by pjkeating View Post
    My name is Paul. Just purchased a 1998 M Roadster, picking it up tomorrow. Really happy with the purchase as it has only logged 28K miles and in pristine condition. Question for you guys. Looked at getting it shipped from Phoenix, but the reputable carriers all quoted north of $1,300 dollars so I'm planning on flying out there and driving the car home to Houston. Tires are good (5 years old) and I'll obviously check fluids before taking off. Any concerns I should be aware of given it's about a 1,000 mile trip? I did verify subframe welds are intact.file-4.jpegfile2-2.jpegfile1-2.jpeg
    Nice looking z! One thought I had was that you could rent a u-haul. Trailer it home...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    -
    Looks good! Be careful with that Genie garage door opener remote, I have the same one and it leaves a slight dent on the sunvisor.

My Cars
    2001BMW Z3M
    Hi I am Steve. I live in the UK. I own a 2001 Z3M. Love the car. It still scares me lol. Been relying on info from this site since I bought the car. Figured I better join the community as I now start to sort out all the little things with the car. First on my list is figuring out the anti theft system.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Welcome Steve. I'm running the less scary 2000 Z3 M and have no experience with anti theft.

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by uksteve View Post
    Hi I am Steve. I live in the UK. I own a 2001 Z3M. Love the car. It still scares me lol. Been relying on info from this site since I bought the car. Figured I better join the community as I now start to sort out all the little things with the car. First on my list is figuring out the anti theft system.
    when i got my 96 z3 i was told that when i put a new battery in it i have to put a 4 digit code into the radio otherwise the car will not start. not sure if that is of any help to you, it was the only thing that came to mind for me because it was insisted on me how important it was not to lose the code otherwise i would have to call over to germany or something. i wrote it down in 3 different places just because lol
    Last edited by therarestbundls; 06-02-2019 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    '17 535, '16 X1, '01 Z3
    Hello Gents, my name is Carlos in beautiful Charleston, SC. Currently own a 2017 535 and a 2016 X1 and I'm in the market for a Z3 but after reading about the subframe issues I'm a little afraid to buy it. For that issue, is it better to get an older model with the 4 cylinder engine instead of a late model with a larger engine? What's the best model year? I've found a 2001 Z3 with 86k miles that looks awesome (in pictures), haven't checked it yet.

Thanks for any advice.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjasso View Post
    Hello Gents, my name is Carlos in beautiful Charleston, SC. Currently own a 2017 535 and a 2016 X1 and I'm in the market for a Z3 but after reading about the subframe issues I'm a little afraid to buy it. For that issue, is it better to get an older model with the 4 cylinder engine instead of a late model with a larger engine? What's the best model year? I've found a 2001 Z3 with 86k miles that looks awesome (in pictures), haven't checked it yet.

Thanks for any advice.
    A good friend of mine had a 4 cylinder z3 that was eventually totaled from a collision (not his fault). With the insurance money, he bought an M Roadster and has loved the transition from light and not so quick to a little heavier with a lot more power. From my reading on the forum, any of the six cylinder Z3 have enough power to put a smile on your face. All Z3 are subject to the subframe failure, but it seems that the more powerful cars that have been driven aggressively are more prone to the failure. Many have M cars have not experienced the failure, but all keep an eye on the spot welds. Some forum members have done the Randy Forbes subframe repair as a preventative measure, while others have had no choice. Forced induction or tracking a car almost necessitates the fix. If you want to avoid the worry, buy a car that has had the RF repair already; those are harder to find, and they will cost more.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    More power doesn't necessarily mean you'll drive it aggressively. I have a low mileage M roadster with no sub-frame issues. My outings are not ultra-conservative, but never wide open throttle accelleration pounding through the gears stuff. I'm not worried in the least about spot welds failing. I did change the rubber oem sub-frame bushings to Ireland Engineering poly-urethane recently as an extra precaution. Those are supposed to minimize any excessive flexing in the subframe from the drivetrain torque. If you're leaning towards a 4 cylinder, you obviously don't plan on racing the car or driving it that way. If you buy a 6 cylinder with good spot welds, no matter how many miles, you should be okay. The poly bushings would be a good upgrade.

My Cars
    '17 535, '16 X1, '01 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    I did change the rubber oem sub-frame bushings to Ireland Engineering poly-urethane recently as an extra precaution. Those are supposed to minimize any excessive flexing in the subframe from the drivetrain torque. If you're leaning towards a 4 cylinder, you obviously don't plan on racing the car or driving it that way. If you buy a 6 cylinder with good spot welds, no matter how many miles, you should be okay. The poly bushings would be a good upgrade.
    Thanks guys. Where can I get the Ireland Engineering Polyurethane bushings?

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjasso View Post
    Thanks guys. Where can I get the Ireland Engineering Polyurethane bushings?
    http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/CTGY/Z3-parts.html

Marty

My Cars
    1998 bmw z3
    Hello I’m a N00b, my names Matt. 1998 Z3 2.8 got this car from ex bestie he was second owner from 99-2017
    found this forum re searching randy Forbes my subframe is sepperating ugh

how do I add pics?

Last edited by Zedsled; 06-25-2019 at 04:19 AM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by therarestbundls View Post
    when i got my 96 z3 i was told that when i put a new battery in it i have to put a 4 digit code into the radio otherwise the car will not start. not sure if that is of any help to you, it was the only thing that came to mind for me because it was insisted on me how important it was not to lose the code otherwise i would have to call over to germany or something. i wrote it down in 3 different places just because lol
    Is the code required with an after-market stereo unit, such as Sony and Kenwood?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Matt—You will need more posts before you can attach pictures.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    10 posts required to post pictures. Goes fast if you feel talkative.

This week in Wisconsin, we're expecting the temperature to break 80. Time to start enjoying some top down weather.
    Looks like AZ is getting hotter too.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by jsun View Post
    Is the code required with an after-market stereo unit, such as Sony and Kenwood?
    I have a Kenwood aftermarket head unit....No code is required for aftermarket units.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by delvec View Post
    I have a Kenwood aftermarket head unit....No code is required for aftermarket units.
    Thanks for the info!

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    New 2000 M Coupe owner here. Titanium Silver / Black. 100K+ miles. Cosmetically very nice, but needs serious maintenance TLC.

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3 roadster
    having a little trouble after swapping out my battery, i turn the key to position 2 to turn the radio on so that i am able to input the 4 digit code however my radio will not come on and the car will not crank. the dash lights come on, the digital clock comes on, the back lights around the radio come on but not the radio nor the headlights or running lights. the hazard lights work when i push the button but not the regular turn signals and the windows will not go down. all while the key is turned to the 2nd position on the ignition also the brake lights dont even come on when i press the brake pedal. am i going to have to replace the radio to fix this issue, or is this going to be something kinda major. i have the 4 digit code that was provided that my mothers husband called over to germany to get. im guessing the dealership close to him was unable to get it or something. i am completely stumped, i have power but it wont turn over almost as though it is security mode or something. any help with this would be tremendously appreciated.

I am new. Just purchased a 2000 2.8 Z3 manual shift. 50k miles. Seems to be in great shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Wekcome Stungeon. Congrats on your Z3.

Fun car. Enjoy!

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    I am new here too. Got a white 2000 2.8 Coupe with 100k miles two weeks ago. Car is in great condition and it is perfect mechanically. It's a 4-speed auto but I just couldn't refuse the car...

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Welcum jsun.

Congratulations on your fun, classic car. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 06-28-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Page 50 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25404142434445464748495051525354555657585960 ... LastLast