Thread: airbag/wreck z3 question

My Cars
    88 BMW 735i

airbag/wreck z3 question

step-son ran our 2000 z3 into a bridge abutment Sunday night at about 20mph (bad rain, he pulled over and didn't see it)-damage to front bumper, hood, lights, radiator- its gonna be a parts car. both dash airbags went off. now it will start but not crank- (engine turns over solidly, but it sounds like its not getting gas/maybe fuel pump is off). I know about the fuse at the battery and I've bypassed (disconnected plug, cut fuse out and put terminal on) No change. fuses under the hood are good. (checked fuel pump fuse). I need to move the car (can winch it over if necessary) but it sounds like it wants to crank, but no fuel. what am I missing?
    BTW, the step son walked away without a scratch and wife insists I find him another old BMW to drive (she's bragging about how it took the impact, but protected the kid).
    thanks in advance!

My Cars
    82 320i 89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by aputnam7 View Post
    step-son ran our 2000 z3 into a bridge abutment Sunday night at about 20mph (bad rain, he pulled over and didn't see it)-damage to front bumper, hood, lights, radiator- its gonna be a parts car. both dash airbags went off. now it will start but not crank- (engine turns over solidly, but it sounds like its not getting gas/maybe fuel pump is off). I know about the fuse at the battery and I've bypassed (disconnected plug, cut fuse out and put terminal on) No change. fuses under the hood are good. (checked fuel pump fuse). I need to move the car (can winch it over if necessary) but it sounds like it wants to crank, but no fuel. what am I missing?
    BTW, the step son walked away without a scratch and wife insists I find him another old BMW to drive (she's bragging about how it took the impact, but protected the kid).
    thanks in advance!
    the car won't get fuel and possibly spark if an airbag has been deployed. the fix is to replace / repack the airbags and swap out the air bag sensors and likely relay. until then the ecu won't allow the car to start. the airbags are a one use only system.

vulture comment :
    if it winds up a parts car i could probably use the rear diff cover if it is the med case with the finned cover.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    It would greatly help if you ID'd the car. You said Z3, which has a pyrotechnic battery cable to disable the starter, but then say you bypassed the fuse, which would imply an M. Totally totally different electrical systems.

/.randy

My Cars
    88 BMW 735i
    2000 2.3 convertible, not listed as an m. did have the battery pyrotechnic (had heard it referenced as a fuse, sorry for confusion) - (now bypassed). I just need to move the vehicle and wanted to crank and not have to winch it around. without buying more airbags etc, how can I bypass this?
    also update: bought a 2004 330ci convertible last night for him. we'll get it on the road soon.
    thanks for any thoughts or simple work arounds- nothing permanent, just want to move it.
    I've got a friend that says he wants to take it on as a project, otherwise I'll parts it out and post that info here.
    Last edited by aputnam7; 08-30-2023 at 11:30 AM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Okay. MS42.1. If you have already check all fuses, including the four for the engine management in the E-box, we need to test for power in the system. With the key on, there should be 12V on the red/white wires going to coils, injectors, many solenoids and valves. The only ones easily accessible without some disassembly will be the VANOS solenoids.

/.randy