Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Difference between replica Contours and the real thing?

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, 90 Mi

Question Difference between replica Contours and the real thing?

I've been thinking of getting some replica contours made by AT Italia that the Tire Rack sells. Does anyone know about these rims and what the difference is between the replicas and the Contours that come from BMW? Is there a significant difference in weight or quality? Or are they essentially the same?

My Cars
    Yes
    Original BMW M Contour wheels have an M badge and a single groove that runs around the outside of the bolt holes. They're probably also stamped "BMW" on the back of one of the spokes. Replicas tend to be softer and heavier than the originals.

You could probably pick up a used set of OEM Contours at a comparable price.

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, 90 Mi
    Tend to be softer and heavier, but are they in this case? I can't find any statistics on the AT Italia stuff. I can't believe that there are too many places making these rims. As it is they are a particular style that only fits BMW cars.

I have a set of these for my 99 M3. I am using them with snow tires for my winter setup. So far they have been fine but I cannot compare to the real thing for weight comparison.
    I've hit some nasty frost heaves up here in Northern Vt. at many degrees below zero (it going to -20 tonight!!) and no problems with bending, losing air, etc. I bought them used from a guy who ran them on his E46 M3 for his winter wheels.
    Tire rack sells them and they would not want to carry a line that has lots of problems.

My Cars
    Yes
    Someone else might be able to help you with the weight/toughness issue.

Also, the finish on the replica wheels may not match the original BMW paint and clearcoat.

My Cars
    Z3 2.3, Isetta 300
    I have a set....same quality as OEM...you can buy the ///M sticker at the dealer for $1.25 each. The only difference I can find is there is no reinforcement around the valve stem. I have run them year round in Cleveland, OH, and never bent one. I believe the weights are similar - both real and fake are as heavy as they look.
    EX-NASA SpecE30 Racer---NASA Florida Certified Instructor

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, 90 Mi
    Thanks for the comments. I'd pretty much made up my mind to go with the new replicas with new tires, but I just wanted to get some feedback.

I guess I would buy into some OEM contours if I found someone nearby selling them, but overall I can get the new replicas and new tires for 1250 from Tire Rack so it isn't that bad a deal.

The other difference is if you go staggered, the lip is the same width for the the 17x7.5" and 17x8.5".

I just got a set of the Type 5 Sports in with the satin finish and stainless steel lip (yes, stainless steel!)