Thread: Adaptive Headlights - installed after?

My Cars
    328xi

Adaptive Headlights - installed after?

I didn't order the Adaptive headlights with my car and now I regret it after reading the amazing article in this month's BMW magazine. Anybody know if it can be installed after? The technician at BMW isn't sure, but he doesn't think so.

My Cars
    MINI Cooper S, BMWs
    the headlight system is extremely complex and relies on various sensors and wiring that won't be in the car already. add to that the part cost on each light is almost as much as the whole package and I'm going to have to agree with the tech. Anything can be done... but it will cost you quite a bit more than if you had it ordered.

My Cars
    328xi
    Update:

My AWESOME dealership will order a new car for me (later production boohoo) and sell the one I currently have arriving! Alright!

My Cars
    '07 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by Harve View Post
    I didn't order the Adaptive headlights with my car and now I regret it after reading the amazing article in this month's BMW magazine.
    Where did u get the BMW magazine? The current one I have has a X5 on the cover.

The paper copy or the online copy at BMW?
    -Chris
    2007 Montego Blue 328xi

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | PBX

My Cars
    328xi
    The BMW magazine gets sent to my house, it's the paper copy. I think its the one with the X5 on it.

My Cars
    E92 328xi, E93 335i
    I thought these were standard?! It says it on the BMWUSA website

My Cars
    07 2500hd, 91 s-10
    xenon lights should have adaptive lights as standard equip.
    Branden
    BMW Tech

My Cars
    328xi
    In Canada it's a $490 option. We get different standard features here.

My Cars
    Toyota Camry
    I believe the adaptive head light's standard on the coupe and not the sedan.

I have the 328 coupe and adaptive head light was a standard feature, and I am loving it for those dark corners when you are turning at night.

Sincerely
    JZ

My Cars
    E92 328xi, E93 335i
    I just ordered my 328xi, I was wondering if the HIDs are standard? The salesman said both the adaptive headlights and the HIDs were options. Is this true?

My Cars
    '10 Mazda6
    Quote Originally Posted by MyE92 View Post
    I just ordered my 328xi, I was wondering if the HIDs are standard? The salesman said both the adaptive headlights and the HIDs were options. Is this true?
    They are standard on all Coupes and on the 335 Sedan. Only on the 328 Sedan are they optional.
    Current:
    2010 Mazda6iT
    2007 Honda CR-V EX-L
    2009 Kawasaki Concours14 Black (my true summer ride)
    1996 Honda Nighthawk 750

Past:
    2007 E90 335i-6MT-SG/Black/Al-ZPP-ZSP-Navi-Heated-CA-iPod-Blacklines
    2002 MB C230K Coupe
    2000 Altima SE (Ugh...)
    1990 CRX Si (the one that got away)

My Cars
    2007 328i Coupe
    This is the first BMW I have owned on which I have not wanted a lighting upgrade. The xenons come standard and they are adaptive. In addition, the cornering lights help even more around tight bends, which is really appreciated. While I wish they would just develop the lights with a beam pattern good enough that all of the adaptive gadgetry wasn't needed I am glad they have added it.

I noticed something new though...These new lights don't use the center lights, the ones that served as the high beams on all my prior BMWs, for "passing flashers" or for the high beams. Instead they are the cornering lights. If I flash the high beams to pass it turns on the xenon high beams for each flash. Weird...not sure this is good for the life of the xenon bulbs.

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by JNMACE View Post
    This is the first BMW I have owned on which I have not wanted a lighting upgrade. The xenons come standard and they are adaptive. In addition, the cornering lights help even more around tight bends, which is really appreciated. While I wish they would just develop the lights with a beam pattern good enough that all of the adaptive gadgetry wasn't needed I am glad they have added it.

I noticed something new though...These new lights don't use the center lights, the ones that served as the high beams on all my prior BMWs, for "passing flashers" or for the high beams. Instead they are the cornering lights. If I flash the high beams to pass it turns on the xenon high beams for each flash. Weird...not sure this is good for the life of the xenon bulbs.
    Xenon bulb is not turning on/off when you flash. There is a shutter that moves exposing more/less of the bulb. You may have seen this referred to as Bi-Xenon.

My Cars
    '07 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by JNMACE View Post

Pull the high beam stalk back towards you, the halgon lights flashes (it's more of a yellowish color)

Push the stalk foward, the shutter in the xenons opens and stays like that until you pull back on the stalk.
    -Chris
    2007 Montego Blue 328xi

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | PBX

My Cars
    328xi
    Hey thanks guys, I was having doubts about the adaptive headlights. I test drove a 7 with them on and didn't notice much of a difference. I ordered my 3 with them anyways and I'm excited now! I'll be taking it to the mountains as soon as I get it!

My Cars
    '07 BMW 328xi
    The BMW magazine gets sent to my house, it's the paper copy. I think its the one with the X5 on it.
    I don't see it in the paper copy I have. It's a 'BMW Magazine' dated 4|2006.

Can you check what your magazine date is, maybe a volume #?
    -Chris
    2007 Montego Blue 328xi

My Cars
    '07 X3 & '07 TL Type-S
    Hey thanks guys, I was having doubts about the adaptive headlights. I test drove a 7 with them on and didn't notice much of a difference. I ordered my 3 with them anyways and I'm excited now! I'll be taking it to the mountains as soon as I get it!
    The first night I had my 328i I kept swerving back and forth on my street, just to watch them dance back and forth... lol

It's a REALLY cool feature, and works very well.
    I've seen the light!

'07 BMW X3 White
    '07 TL Type-S Kinetic Blue