Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: releasing/re-engaging tops?

My Cars
    '98 M3, '84 325es

releasing/re-engaging tops?

It seems that someone asks how to manually release a stuck top, or how to re-engage it after the fact, at least twice a day. Don't know why they can't just search, but anyway, can a mod identify the "best" post for handling this issue and sticky it in here? I'd be more than happy to help identify the "best" post, if needed.

Sorry for the semi-rant, but when I popped in here this morning, there were at least 3 or 4 new threads all with basically the same question.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    I agree. The top of this forum all asks about the same question. People seem to eager to get an answer that instead of looking if it might be already there...they post a new (same) question and wait for an answer, while it's there as they type...
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    I would also like to get the convertible pdf I was provided hosted as well. It covers the engage and re-engage procedure as well as a lot of other things with diagrams and pictures.
    I try to send it out to all that want it but it needs to be hosted as well...

My Cars
    325i Convertible
    Send it over, ill host it...

email: matt@purebyte.com

My Cars
    1996 328ICA, 2002 325 xiTouring
    I can do this video also and add it to the DIY videos, I'll run out now and pull the red flag just for you guys
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Sadly, stickied threads seem to be overlooked by the people that would gain the most from reading them. Hopefully, this time will be different.

Straight from the thread that is already stickied at the top of the forum...

Directions given by a member:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=564247

The BMW PDF already hosted:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...74&postcount=6

Video of the procedure, by millertimebmw03

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boiybaJkMrI
    Last edited by palomino; 08-28-2007 at 01:20 PM.

My Cars
    74 v12 xke jaguar, 69 mustang,96 bmw 328i conv.
    hi i dont mind the rant
    had to pull the cable due to a blown fuse in the trunk
    replaced the fuse reengaged the two motors but still feel that a reset must be in order to get the top moving again thebarnes@mindspring.com
    thanks bobby530

My Cars
    did you get this taken care of?
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    1998 ///M3 Convertible & 318Ci
    I had problems with my top so I decided to reset it. Here's the problem:
    When I turn on the key while pressing the convertible (close) button, the lid wouldn't close.... it started then one of the motor in the trunk started to click/ knocks). I noticed that the motor doesn't goes all the way in when I pushed it back. What gives? Is this the problem?

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrijmetselarij View Post
    I had problems with my top so I decided to reset it. Here's the problem:
    When I turn on the key while pressing the convertible (close) button, the lid wouldn't close.... it started then one of the motor in the trunk started to click/ knocks). I noticed that the motor doesn't goes all the way in when I pushed it back. What gives? Is this the problem?
    This is where wifeys vert is now- the last part... started then one of the motor in the trunk started to click/ knocks). I noticed that the motor doesn't goes all the way in when I pushed it back... Still like this, haven't had time to take apart yet. re-synce fine 3 times but motor in the trunk (deck lid motor) started to click/ knocks on open cycle.

thanks palomino for the re-sticky.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    1998 ///M3 Convertible & 318Ci
    Actually today I was able to put the motor all the way in... I was excited, thinking it will fix the knocking problem but alas, it doesn't make any difference. Would someone please help?

Mike

My Cars
    1997 328I Convertible
    I have a situation I tried to troubleshoot with my top using those resources. I have the light flashing on the top actuator switch. I checked and S1 and S2 are showing different positions with the top fully up, which it should not. I have the fully automatic top. When I try to lower it I first disengage the motors using the lever under the seat, then disengage the top from the windshield using the allen wrench. I cannot do anything with it from there. it will not let me fold it up. I have disengaged the motors, so wondering if maybe there was a problem with one of the bows, or possibly since the light was flashing there is something preventing me from taking it down any further? Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: O.K. I was dumb..I needed to crank the allen wrench some more to get the top past the tension point so I could open it. I get everything to the point of where the top is folded down and the deck lid is closed, and try the resynch procedure, but the deck lid motor clacks. I believe there is no way of getting around the fact I have a bad motor. I had a mechanic swap it out just to see and it worked, so I just have to foot the bill for the motor. fooey!
    Last edited by S33TH3R; 10-19-2007 at 01:58 AM.

My Cars
    So has everyone resolved there problems?
    I love this car.
    DIY Videos and Help

My Cars
    '98 323ic
    Quote Originally Posted by millertimebmw03 View Post
    not quite. I found that searching forums takes way more time than to post a direct question and get an answer. I'm not that good of a searcher perhaps...
    anyway, my '98 323ic has the following issues:
    -broken latch in storage compartment, cover won't open. I have a new latch, but how do I get to it since it won't open???
    - I installed a new german cloth/ british made top. still none of the 'automatic' part works without helping it. what can you do about that? (this was before the latch broke)
    - it leaks where it meets the windshield, both corners. what new part does my 9 year old car need??
    thanks for taking the time!
    Horst

My Cars
    1999 bmw 323ic

Unhappy feel like i've tried everything...

I've tried all of the suggestions above - the video tutorial, the .pdf, the other member advice...

I can successfully re-engage the soft top motor - however I cannot re-engage the motor that pulls up the hard cover (that opens to reveal the folded soft top). I think people have been calling this the tunnel?

When I reach around that motor box as outlined in the .pdf and video, I can feel something shift forward a bit when I pull towards me... However, it stops short and doesn't pull all the way forward and click or have any other sign of re-engagement (and when i try to reset in my optimism that it worked even if i didn't feel it working, I hear the motor whirring but nothing happens).

One other note - when I reach around, it feels like there is a piece (gear-like feeling) that is trying to fit in a hole, but for some reason doesn't slip in. One person recommend turning the gear a bit and trying again - however, it shifts what I suspect is about 1/8" and then won't let me turn it any more. I'm not sure if there's a way I can release the gear to spin freely, or if there may be another reason it doesn't want to slot back in?

Any guidance, help, tips would be very much appreciated!

Thank you thank you!
    Last edited by sliceolime; 01-11-2008 at 12:49 PM.

My Cars
    ESS 625++
    Quote Originally Posted by millertimebmw03 View Post
    We are trying to change the rear window on our top and it seems that the battery was changed recently (not quick enough to avoid the resetting).

We have released the lever under the back seat and heard the two clicks, i think we've reset both motors in the trunk but we cannot get the top to go down. There is too much tension in the rear window area to lift it up and of course there's too much tension up front as well.

Is there something that I'm still not seeing?

It is a '99m fully auto top.
    ESS 625
    RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

My Cars
    1995 325ic
    I have followed the directions on resetting the motorized top on my '95 325ic. It hasn't worked. We were told that our activation switch module might be bad. What steps should I take from here?
    Red drives red

My Cars
    BMW 328 Convertible
    Ive never had this problem

A switch from BMW will be cheap - try that

You must ensure that tghe hood is full retracted. Also the Cover

Push it down hard as you engage the motors

Obviously make sure the cables are tight

It does take about 30 seconds with the ignition on a like magic it starts working

Maybe if this doesnyt work dis connect bthe battery for a few minutes and then re connect but now I am clutching at straws

Richaed

My Cars
    335i e30 convertible, 325i e36 convertible.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby530 View Post
    hi i dont mind the rant
    had to pull the cable due to a blown fuse in the trunk
    replaced the fuse reengaged the two motors but still feel that a reset must be in order to get the top moving again thebarnes@mindspring.com
    thanks bobby530
    where's this fuse in the boot? The fusebox says fuse 49, but i cant find it anywhere!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
    We are trying to change the rear window on our top and it seems that the battery was changed recently (not quick enough to avoid the resetting).

We have released the lever under the back seat and heard the two clicks, i think we've reset both motors in the trunk but we cannot get the top to go down. There is too much tension in the rear window area to lift it up and of course there's too much tension up front as well.

Is there something that I'm still not seeing?

It is a '99m fully auto top.
    sounds silly, but are you lifting the front section of the roof first, prior to trying to ldit the back section. You will not beable to lit the rear section (window) without the front section (release handle) being lifted).

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by sliceolime View Post
    I've tried all of the suggestions above - the video tutorial, the .pdf, the other member advice...

I can successfully re-engage the soft top motor - however I cannot re-engage the motor that pulls up the hard cover (that opens to reveal the folded soft top). I think people have been calling this the tunnel?

When I reach around that motor box as outlined in the .pdf and video, I can feel something shift forward a bit when I pull towards me... However, it stops short and doesn't pull all the way forward and click or have any other sign of re-engagement (and when i try to reset in my optimism that it worked even if i didn't feel it working, I hear the motor whirring but nothing happens).

One other note - when I reach around, it feels like there is a piece (gear-like feeling) that is trying to fit in a hole, but for some reason doesn't slip in. One person recommend turning the gear a bit and trying again - however, it shifts what I suspect is about 1/8" and then won't let me turn it any more. I'm not sure if there's a way I can release the gear to spin freely, or if there may be another reason it doesn't want to slot back in?

Any guidance, help, tips would be very much appreciated!

Thank you thank you!
    So your issue is solely getting the motor drive cog back in? You may need to remove the panel it sits on, to get better access to it, so that you can sync the gear better for it to fit. also, you could try releasing the motors again,moving the hood compartment a little, re-engadge the motor and very gently move the compartment until the gear sits, then try re setting again. This will at least prove the cog will actually interface properly.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by horsttappert View Post
    not quite. I found that searching forums takes way more time than to post a direct question and get an answer. I'm not that good of a searcher perhaps...
    anyway, my '98 323ic has the following issues:
    -broken latch in storage compartment, cover won't open. I have a new latch, but how do I get to it since it won't open???
    - I installed a new german cloth/ british made top. still none of the 'automatic' part works without helping it. what can you do about that? (this was before the latch broke)
    - it leaks where it meets the windshield, both corners. what new part does my 9 year old car need??
    thanks for taking the time!
    Horst
    remove the rear door cards with the roof semi down (you should still be able to move the roof a little, failign that its possibel to remove the rear doorcard without moving the roof atall, but very difficult. Use torch, and long prod to release the catches manually.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by S33TH3R View Post
    I have a situation I tried to troubleshoot with my top using those resources. I have the light flashing on the top actuator switch. I checked and S1 and S2 are showing different positions with the top fully up, which it should not. I have the fully automatic top. When I try to lower it I first disengage the motors using the lever under the seat, then disengage the top from the windshield using the allen wrench. I cannot do anything with it from there. it will not let me fold it up. I have disengaged the motors, so wondering if maybe there was a problem with one of the bows, or possibly since the light was flashing there is something preventing me from taking it down any further? Thanks for the help in advance.

Edit: O.K. I was dumb..I needed to crank the allen wrench some more to get the top past the tension point so I could open it. I get everything to the point of where the top is folded down and the deck lid is closed, and try the resynch procedure, but the deck lid motor clacks. I believe there is no way of getting around the fact I have a bad motor. I had a mechanic swap it out just to see and it worked, so I just have to foot the bill for the motor. fooey!

Get the motor re-wound. Don't buy a new one. People do this alot for the suspension compressors on range rovers, when a cheapo relay fails, and leaves the motor running too long.

My Cars
    1994 325i Hellrot Convertible
    guys i have another question....instead of syncing the top motors back together... can we just disengage the top motor so that we can use it fully manually?? you know put it up or down ourselves.. it would be helpful in case the motor broke down and i cant fix it in the mean time!

My Cars
    1994 325i Auto Conv. 137K miles, 2001 Chevy Tahoe
    I have been using my top fully manually for the last couple of weeks. It works fine. Just make sure that after you lift the lid, you really have to pull up on the top in a steady motion, with lots of strenght. I am short and this was difficult until I got the hang of it.

As for re-engaging the motors, I also could not get the lid motor to re-engage. What I found was that if i disengaged both motors and re-engaged the lid motor first, then the top motor, it worked. But now my problem is that I can get one of the other to work, but not both. I can raise the lid, but not the top, or i can raise/lower the top, but not the lid. So i went full manual until i figure it out. i tore apart the area above the battery, and still can't find this mysterious "fuse" that is related to the motors. where is it? what does it do? bentley manual says that the motors fuses' are under the hood. what gives? anyone know where the rear fuse is?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast