Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 528i M52 cooling system bleeding, overhaul, overheating

My Cars
    E30ic, E39 M5
    Here's a terrific pictorial walkthrough on another board to supplement what e39dream has gone out of his way to provide on this thread already. Thanks again e39dream!

Tim

My Cars
    97 528i, 06 750 iL
    Ok, so now I am starting to overhaul my cooling system. I am taking it in stages since it is so expensive.

First I will replace the hoses and thermostat including an aluminum thermo housing and the radiator plus expansion tank.

Second I will replace the water pump, fan and fan clutch a month or so later.

My questions:

Pelican sold me SEVEN hoses to do a complete replacement. I was shocked to see that my upper radiator hose had a '96 stamp on it so it was obviously never changed. I suspect likewise for the others. How do I find where every one of these hoses goes??? Can all be accessed with relative ease?

How do I completely drain my cooling system?

I have links for the radiator, thermostat as well as system bleeding from above thread but I don't want to jump in until I have all the info in hand.

Thanks.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    theres diagrams of the hoses on realoem, not the best diagrams but might help. otherwise just match the hoses one by one to the ones already on the car- shouldnt be too big of a deal.

To drain your coolant open the drain on the drivers side bottom of radiator- theres a valve.

My Cars
    99 540i Cosmos Blk/Blk
    Ok so im new to this board (daily Bimmerfest member) But lately I have had trouble with my car overheating. Ive learned alot about my engine so much that I watch the Temp needle religiously. But It all started when me and my father were leaving the BMW dealership here in Houston and we pulled out of the driveway there and got about a mile down the road and I looked over from the passenger seat and the needle was at 3/4 . I was really worried, so we stopped and let it cool off. Then we make our way to Walmart and and we get on the freeway and cruise at about 60mph for 13-15 miles. We get to the parking lot and as we are looking for a parking spot it starts to climb to 3/4 again so we pull off to the side and put it in park and rev for 25-30 sec. it went down to the middle again. We were in Walmart for a good 15min or so, and we start to make our way home. The needle was steddy for the whole trip home so I thought ok just some random thing. I went on with my business of going to work a 8min drive there and back after about 5 hours there in the parking lot cooling off. I did this for about 1 week and then it started doing it again in the 8min drive(I didnt know this was possible) But it only does when Im either pulling down my street or in my driveway. Mind you it hasnt got to red yet just 3/4. So thats three times now. Now this Saturday we go to get gas and thats probably a 10 min trip one way. It did it AGAIN as we get into the driveway. But this time as we are sitting in the driveway idleing it actually hit RED(the red part of the little gauge lit up red). I quickly shut her down. I was frightened!! I didnt drive it for 3-4 days while Im talking my parents about how we are going to ge it to the local indy. One night my dad comes into my room and says "come here and hold this flashlight" We proceed to go outside and open the hood and look in the radiator cap, to my surprise the tank was EMPTY . We were kinda eyecrazy thinking that the car should have told us that it was low on coolant. I mean it was bare dry!! The next day my dad brings home some coolant the Prestone pre mixed, and we put it in to the Cold Kault line. Now Today has been its second day of me driving it to work(8 min there and 8 min back after sitting for awhile in between). No problems yet, she warms up good to the middle and stays there. My question is do you think im ok now?? Do I need to bleed it?? Im 16 years old and I want to learn as much as I can about these cars and I think im in love! (with the car that is)
    Help me please?!

My Cars
    m52 powered
    hey underPAR- welcome to bimmerforums. You'll notice theres alot of 528i people here

if the expansion tank was bone dry you can bet your keyster theres air in the system. grab another gallon or two of the same coolant and top off/bleed the system.

"when in doubt, bleed it out." lol

My Cars
    99 540i Cosmos Blk/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    hey underPAR- welcome to bimmerforums. You'll notice theres alot of 528i people here

if the expansion tank was bone dry you can bet your keyster theres air in the system. grab another gallon or two of the same coolant and top off/bleed the system.

"when in doubt, bleed it out." lol
    Alright man thanks.
    Is there a proper way to bleed it? Sorry if this was already posted.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    theres a link to the bleed procedure on page 1 of this thread.

My Cars
    99 540i Cosmos Blk/Blk
    theres a link to the bleed procedure on page 1 of this thread.
    thanks again, and im sorry.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    hey no problem- if it wasnt there I'd have typed it out for you- I'm just lazy

My Cars
    97 528i, 06 750 iL
    As I posted above, I purchased an aluminum thermostat housing. I have seen some posts that seem to imply the OEM resin is better. Can I have some feedback regarding experiences with the alu vs. resin products before I put mine on the car?

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 740il
    Hey e39dream, that last post reminded me of how my issue turned out. Low coolant. I did bleed the system 2 or 3 times per instruction and topped off. Haven't had a problem since. Best 8 bucks I ever spent!

My Cars
    1999 M3
    It's about time for me to do this. What kind/brand of coolant do you recommend using?

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I'm just using some prestone premixed stuff I got from my local auto parts store. I had originally thought I'd go get some BMW coolant and switch to that but I've been busy and the prestone is keeping her cool.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Okay, I just got a 540i for the wife. 82K on the clock. The first thing I'd like to do is have the cooling system checked and address anything as needed.

I called a local indy shop in town and wanted to get an estimate for servvice. They only work on Europeon cars...and they specialize in BMW's.

This is the prices they gave me:

Radiator - Labor $169.20; Parts $215
    Exp Tank - Labor $131.60; Parts $71.75
    Water Pump - Labor $357.20; Parts $140
    Thermostat - Labor $169.20; Parts $64.50
    misc (coolant, extra parts..etc..) $40+

Sub Total: Labor - $827.20; Parts $491.25; Misc - $40 +
    TOTAL (approx.) - $1360 + tax

I got the coolant system package price from Bill at Bimmer Clinic on here.
    As a comparison this is what it would cost for parts from Bill at Bimmer Clinic: $435

Labor: Free (me )

So I'm looking at right around $1400-1500 parts and labor through these folks... YIKES.

There is something to be said about rolling your sleeves up and doing it yourself.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    I have been kicking around the idea of opening a bimmer only auto shop. hiring a certified bmw tech for major repairs and doing oil changes/ brake and cooling system jobs myself. Theres a shortage of good indy mechanics around here- I could make a fortune. I'd need someone with a big wallet to help me get started though.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    On a side note....do you have after market calipers on your ride or are they just painted? They look red.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    4 stock calipers painted red.

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    I'm just using some prestone premixed stuff I got from my local auto parts store. I had originally thought I'd go get some BMW coolant and switch to that but I've been busy and the prestone is keeping her cool.
    Switch it out with either Pentosin or BMW Blue stuff. Or I can give you pointers on changing your head gasket!

SRSLY.. do it.
    RIP Motorsport Recycling! Long Live //MSR Performance.
    wiseguy@motorsportrecycling.com

My Cars
    m52 powered
    lol- it's on the to do list.

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Put it near the top... trust me.

My Cars
    02/2000 528iA - Bone Stock; 1999 Expedition
    I cracked my radiator, or it cracked... whatever, it's cracked. On the drivers side right beneath the fitting where that hose goes. So I'm ordering a new radiator, got a decent price and all seems good.

Here's the question. Would it make sense that the radiator cracked, therefore causing the engine to overheat, or do you think the engine overheated and caused the crack?

Ben
    02/2000 528iA

My Cars
    OG e46 m3
    i know i probably did this the worng way but...

when i was filling up my resevior with coolant i left the cap open and just started the car and watched all the bubbles just come out then i put the cap on. I know the system pressurizes during driving but i figured since the car was cold the thermostat wouldnt open and everything would workout.

My Cars
    more space pls kthx.
    Quote Originally Posted by b528imcmanus View Post
    I cracked my radiator, or it cracked... whatever, it's cracked. On the drivers side right beneath the fitting where that hose goes. So I'm ordering a new radiator, got a decent price and all seems good.

Here's the question. Would it make sense that the radiator cracked, therefore causing the engine to overheat, or do you think the engine overheated and caused the crack?

Ben
    02/2000 528iA
    Ben,

It overheated because it blew out all of its' coolant. If I were you I would also buy an expansion tank, thermostat, thermostat housing (Aluminum) and a water pump while you're at it.

Use OE Coolant.. BMW or Pentosin.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    what is pentosin?

My Cars
    02/2000 528iA - Bone Stock; 1999 Expedition
    I'm about to change the radiator out on my car and I need to get some fluid. I'm going to the dealership to get it, I just need to figure out how much to get. And at what mix

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast