Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: what is the benefit of wheel spacers?

My Cars
    E36 M3, Dinan Supercharger

what is the benefit of wheel spacers?

are wheel spacers strong enough for track use? i've never thought that it was a good idea to use them. i just wonder why would people need them? if the rim sizing was the issue? why not just get the proper offset and rim combination.

can increasing the overall distance of the wheel stance (ie. from left wheel to right wheel) with spacer increase performance? i personally don't think the spacers can do enought, but i just thought to post this thread.

any opinions for discussion?
    Coucoui 6
    1998 Dinan Supercharged M3 with Dinan cat back exhaust, 2.70" S/C pulley, Coolingmist water/alcohol injection, UUC stage 2 flywheel & stage 3 SPEC clutch, UUC swaybarbarians, Dinan strut brace, X-brace, Vogtland club spec springs w/ Bilstein Sport shocks, E46 RSM w/ Z3 plate, Understeer SSK w/Delrin bushing & Sparco knob, Urethane bushings{control arms, trail arms, tranny mount}, Brembo Slotted rotors, Stainless Steel brake lines, Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").

My Cars
    Hondas
    I have heard differing opinions on the use of spacers at the track. I won't do it. As for their usage, when the offset is too high (pushed in too far) rubbing can occur at various places. A spacer pushes the wheel out further so that it can fit without rubbing.

The thread in my link above was deleted/moved. Here are some more recent threads to prove he is still wholly incapable of running a business:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

My Cars
    E36 M3, Dinan Supercharger
    i wonder what size spacers i would have to use in order for me to get 245's tires up front? but i'm not sure if i should try the spacers in the first place. my rims are Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").
    Coucoui 6
    1998 Dinan Supercharged M3 with Dinan cat back exhaust, 2.70" S/C pulley, Coolingmist water/alcohol injection, UUC stage 2 flywheel & stage 3 SPEC clutch, UUC swaybarbarians, Dinan strut brace, X-brace, Vogtland club spec springs w/ Bilstein Sport shocks, E46 RSM w/ Z3 plate, Understeer SSK w/Delrin bushing & Sparco knob, Urethane bushings{control arms, trail arms, tranny mount}, Brembo Slotted rotors, Stainless Steel brake lines, Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    put the wheels on, if they dont fit, go to the local hardware store and buy some spacers/washers. Use those to see how much of a spacer you need in order to make the wheel spin freely w/o rubbing or hitting anything. Go to Modbargains.com () check out the available spacer sizes we have, and get something that is close to what you have measured and know will fit.

My Cars
    '88 325 & '06 Forester
    Bump... no answers yet, im curious as well. With aggressive driving im wondering how spacers will hold up.
    '88 S52E30 | '05 M3 ZCP | '18 RDX

My Cars
    740i Sport, LR Disco, Ducati 998
    As long as you have hardware to match the spacing you should be fine.

I've tracked, drifted and in everyway abused my car with 5mm front and 10mm rear.

The reason: I did not have caliper clearance up front and needed to get the wheel further from my brakes. Rear, aesthetics basically, going for flusheness.

I had H&R spacers, I would never use spacers without changing hardware to longer studs.

and dont forget anything beyond 5mm'ish get hubcentric spacers!!

My Cars
    96' 328i
    i used spaces and had bad experiences w/ them. only way i would use them again is after doing a wheel stud conversion.

My Cars
    '88 325 & '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by randytt View Post
    i used spaces and had bad experiences w/ them. only way i would use them again is after doing a wheel stud conversion.
    hmm... can you elaborate?

Thanks
    '88 S52E30 | '05 M3 ZCP | '18 RDX

My Cars
    E36 328/E39 530
    Spacers are used on the track mainly to widen the cars track and lower roll center. You can do the same thing with lower wheel offsets, but wheels cost more than spacers. When the wheels are pushed out a little more the car becomes more stable going straight as well as corners. They can also be used to manipulate oversteer and understeer. Drifters use bolt-on(not the sandwich type) hubcentric spacers/adapters for benefits listed above and also for just aesthetic reasons.

I remember seeing a clip on Speed, I think it was from the show Redline. An S2000 on a race track took a corner and one of the rear wheels just came off the car, sending the S2000 into an uncontrollable spin. I just kept wondering if the car had spacers.
    Last edited by ghambino; 02-28-2007 at 09:49 PM.

My Cars
    96' 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by e30mk View Post
    hmm... can you elaborate?

Thanks
    one of the bolt i got from h&r went bad on me and stripped a hole. i am pretty sure it was because of a spacer or bolts that came with them because i swapped wheels a 100x (torqued to spec) and never had problems untill i got the spacers. imo i would get wheels studs if u plan on getting spacers.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    I basically have only used spacers on my wheels since I have gotten my GC coilovers on. I run 20mm spacers in the front with cheap ass bolts, w/ no problems, so I should expect that the H&R ones I sell on my site should perform a 100x better. I have yet to experience a bad problem with my spacers, knock on wood. The only downside I have had so far is that they cause a lot of vibrations, but then again, that is what you get when you use generic and cheap spacers. I am going to go with H&R spacers this time around. I have gone through various wheel set ups and have taken my wheels on and off with the spacers w/ no signs of extra wear or defects.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Coucoui 6 View Post
    i wonder what size spacers i would have to use in order for me to get 245's tires up front? but i'm not sure if i should try the spacers in the first place. my rims are Speedline 3 piece rims(front=18x8.5")(rear=18x10").
    Quote Originally Posted by Coucoui 6 View Post
    why not just get the proper offset and rim combination.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    E36 328/E39 530
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

1. The size of the spacer you need to fit 245s up front depends on the offset of the wheels. I'm guessing no more than 10-15mm spacer, but that depends on the wheel offset.

2. Its hard to just get the proper wheel and tire combo. Why? Because almost every single wheel made for BMWs is closely made to stock specs. Not a problem if you are using shocks/struts. The problem comes in when you use coilovers. Almost every E36 thats running coilovers uses spacers up front.

Solution: Fork out the dough for low offset wheels. They cost more and look at lot better than say wheels with +38/+40 something offset.

My solution: If you have an E36, buy wheels made for an E39. If you want to do the Euro/stretched tire look, buy wheels made for an E38.

Damn I wish I could manufacture wheels for BMWs. The folks in Sweden and Denmark know whats up.

My Cars
    740i Sport, LR Disco, Ducati 998
    Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

No offset solution will help you clear some larger brake combos when spoke design will interfer with the caliper. It happens.

Ray's wheels are awesome in this regard by offering several "face" styles to accomodate cakiper variances.