Thread: fog light help!

My Cars
    RIP 325i

fog light help!

ok so last spring i replaced my light bulb on the passanger side fog light. and it wouldnt go back into place!!! i tried FOREVER and it wouldnt go back into place!
    so i used gasket maker to hold it in becuase i gave up after an hour of trying.. andits still held on there by the sealant.

now question is!
    why in the HELL is it not going back into place? is the bracket missing?
    and the driver side fog light wont come out i tried and tried with a LONG screw driver but it WONT come out!

i want to replace the cracked fogs soon and put the H7 bulbs in there!

HELPP!!!
    thanks in advance!
    also.. im contemplating getting a m3 bumper.. are the fogs interchangable? or should i just wait?
    thanks again guys!
    1994 325i Uber Sedan 5-spd swap'ed
    E36 Automatic to 5-Speed DIY Write Up
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.
    Custom 2 tone suede interior comming early 2006.

My Cars
    '93 325is, '04 G35 sedan
    i have a broken fog in my garage, and i was messing with it and couldn't figure out how the bulb removed either. but it is probably sealed because the bulb would break if cold water hit it

M3 cams *UUC stage II lwfw w////M5 clutch *JC cam & lwfw chip *ECIS intake *Bosal cat back *UUC udp's *M3 3.15lsd *M3 shifter *H&R & Bilstein sport *E46 M3 rsm *Z3 rein4c plates *Depo DDE's *Zender lp *M3 spoiler *M3 moldings * M3 mirrors *billetwerks *jbl/mtx sub system
    '04 G35 sedan 5AT all stock

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    i got the fog light replaced!
    BUT i cannot get it back in w/o using the gasket maker.. and the lense isnt flush with the bumer
    3 Pedal Club Member!
    RE DMS, RE Weighted Selector Rod, ACS SSK, ZKW w/ Catz 5100 HID's & DDE Chromums, AT Italia Type 5 Sport wheels.

My Cars
    it varies
    It sounds like the fog light bracket clip busted.

Kind of hard to explain. Previous owner of my car held mine in with Velcro (ugh). Essentially, you have a hole in your bumper for the light.

Behind that hole, and fastened to it, is a frame. One side of that frame has a clip. The other side of the frame, on the top and bottom of it, has two little cuts in it.

So to install the light, you'd push it diagonally into these cuts (the light has nubs that fit into them), and then press the other side against the clip until it holds the body of the light.

You really almost have to take it apart to figure it out. I did not really understand it until I ordered new bulbs and brackets from Zygmunt.

I don't know why one side would stick, but I do know that a broken bracket is probably why one side won't go in.

My Cars
    RIP 325i
    how much did these clips cost ya? i might as well order them at the same time.
    3 Pedal Club Member!

My Cars
    it varies
    Originally posted by joe325i
    how much did these clips cost ya? i might as well order them at the same time.
    I don't know. I suggest calling http://www.bimmerparts.com/

They have a great deal on new fogs, new brackets, and they even come with bulbs. It's like $36 each plus shipping. I just went and got new ones because mine were so sandblasted.

From time to time I have seen them turn up on the classifieds here and DTM. I think people just get them when they buy new lights and don't need them. I'd look there before buying anywhere else.