Thread: High flow cat: will this fit?

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1

High flow cat: will this fit?

http://www.randomtechnology.com/

They don't have a bolt-on for our car, but maybe a pair of one of these would work?
    http://www.randomtechnology.com/universal.html

I don't know the size of the space down there, so I can't tell for myself....
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    Bump...

Does anybody know the dimensions of the stock cat and pipes for a '97 M3?
    -c///m
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

I dont have it on my car, but I have read before in other threads that it WILL indeed fit our car and is regarded as one of the better high flow pipes.

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Not sure if they have anything that would fit, but CarSound cats flow *MUCH* better than Random Tech cats(which barely flow above OE Honda catalysts).

A guy in the H/A community flowbench tested a bunch of cats plus straight pipes for comparision. Result was that Random Tech was only a few percent better than an OE Honda catalyst, and the Carsound cat was only 10-15% shy of a straight pipe with the same ID.

Plus Carsound cats are much cheaper than Random Tech cats.

Just conveying some 'ricer knowledge' I picked up while on the Honda side of things.

My Cars
    Ok, nevermind, then. Thanks for the info!

-c///m

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    Hey check this out. Looks like Carsound has an application for Euro M3s, looks like it might fit...anyone have any idea? I'm going to email them. If so, and the price is right, might be a good, legal, alternative to the track pipe.

Can someone look at this pic and verify it is the saem setup as the US cars?

http://www.as-sl.com/car-sound/ficha...0&ma=4&md=1192
    98 ///M3/4/5 | Dinan Stage 1 suspension | Dinan STB | Eibach sways | x-brace | Dinan CAI | Dinan TB | Dinan DME | TMS pulleys | TMS headers | Magnaflow exhaust | 3.91 LSD

My Cars
    Is that domain name correct? I can't find that server...
    -c///m

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    Works for me. Here's the pics:

versus OEM:

98 ///M3/4/5 | Dinan Stage 1 suspension | Dinan STB | Eibach sways | x-brace | Dinan CAI | Dinan TB | Dinan DME | TMS pulleys | TMS headers | Magnaflow exhaust | 3.91 LSD

My Cars
    Ah, there we go. Old firewall script was blocking some IPs that used to be considered reserved.

That cat looks pretty good... Let's hope that it'll fit on US-spec M3's, too...
    -c///m

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    It looks like it doesn't have the bend to bolt up to the exhaust manifold. Could be a problem. Could be modified maybe. Anyone?
    Last edited by berserkr; 01-18-2003 at 04:18 AM.

My Cars
    '16 Golf R
    CarSound's email is full and got kicked back to me. I'll call them on Monday to get the scoop. If the cats are reasonably priced, I may pick some up. Probably need a bit of modifying but if it's simple and it works we may have a viable alternative here.

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD
    You can also get Carsound or Magnaflow (same thing) cats from Evosport or some other source for about $100 each (need two)and weld them on, instead of buying the whole assembly and having to bend it.

My Cars
    e36 328is,T4R, is250AWD
    Oh one more thing, I hhave heard lots of good things about Carsound's cats being very high flow, but I have also heard that they don't last very long at all compared to OE, bmw especially, Just some things to think about.