Thread: 83 633csi drivetrain/motor swap into an E36

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5-98 323is

83 633csi drivetrain/motor swap into an E36

i recently picked up a 1983 633csi with a 3.2 in it...i am planning on pulling the motor and tranny and rebuilding each to go into my 1992 325i...jw if anyone knows if i will run into any problems with the swap..i would like to swap rear ends also if it is possible...i appreciate anyones input on the subject thanks guys!

P.S. sorry if this thread is out of place im kinda new here havent been on the site alot

My Cars
    1991 318is, 1982 toyota corolla vert
    thats awesome
    I have no technical input for you.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by haledj View Post
    thats awesome
    I have no technical input for you.
    same but good luck

My Cars
    325i, S4
    Just out of curiosity, why are you planning to undertake this swap? It seems like it would likely be a lot of hassle, and in the end you'd wind up with a heavier engine without a whole lot more power. Especially considering the potential costs involved, and what that money would translate into in mods for the M50. Plus the fact that it seems like the M50's are pretty mod-friendly engines. It's a kind of cool idea in that it seems very unique, but it wouldn't be something i'd inclined to try and pull off. Good luck if you do go through with it though, it'd definitely be interesting to see.

My Cars
    2019 Golf Mk7 1.4T
    Quote Originally Posted by absent View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are you planning to undertake this swap? It seems like it would likely be a lot of hassle, and in the end you'd wind up with a heavier engine without a whole lot more power. Especially considering the potential costs involved, and what that money would translate into in mods for the M50. Plus the fact that it seems like the M50's are pretty mod-friendly engines. It's a kind of cool idea in that it seems very unique, but it wouldn't be something i'd inclined to try and pull off. Good luck if you do go through with it though, it'd definitely be interesting to see.
    He's right, you could have saved money and invested in FI for the M50. It's a very good engine. IMO if the 633 runs just keep it to have one. They're not all too common you know.

RIP 1994 e36 325i Boston Grun.
    e36 DIY: Climate Control Light Replace (analog)
    4>2 Member #5

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5-98 323is
    thanks for the input guys...i picked the car up for 50 dollars off of a friend...it runs and i know they are rare but it needs to be restored and i would rather put the money into my E36...i was looking to build the motor to push around 300-350 somewhere in there without FI...becuase i dont really want to run into the problems with FI...But i havent spent any money yet so

Will i be able to get 250-300 hp out of the M50 by going FI without having any internal engine problems...i appreciate everyones input on the subject and have never attempted or researched a swap like this but if i can go with a supercharger and be better off that will be the way i go...and maybe get the 633csi in driveable condition

My Cars
    E34M53.9L/E46M3
    As much as its going to cost you to build that thing to handle 350hp you could probably find an e36m3 motor.

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Hate to break it to you, but there is no way in hell you will get any NA M30 to 300rwhp unless you blow like 50k on it. Heck, ones with 30k in them only push 280. In comparison, you can get 360rwhp/400rwtq for ~5-6k with FI. Check out the Turbocharging Dynamics website.

You could push a S38 to NA 300rwhp without much trouble, but then you are talking about 15k, and that is on the low side, probably more like 20k.

NA is very, very expensive, while FI is just expensive.

I can understand a M30 swap into an E30, but like others have said, why an E36? That would be like putting a Babbage Machine into a Deep Blue case.I'd just build up the M50 or swap in a S50, then twin screw that sucker.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5-98 323is
    thanks for the input xatlas0 like i said ive never looked in to this before so that is why i am getting your opinions on it...can anyone tell me what i would be putting into the M50 motor to get it ready for FI...cam, pistons, rings etc.
    i will probably end up building the M50 then supercharging it...

My Cars
    94 540,72 3.0CS,'13 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bilstein325i View Post
    thanks for the input xatlas0 like i said ive never looked in to this before so that is why i am getting your opinions on it...can anyone tell me what i would be putting into the M50 motor to get it ready for FI...cam, pistons, rings etc.
    i will probably end up building the M50 then supercharging it...
    People have pushed 500rwhp with no internal mods.

People have been running 400rwhp daily with a MLS gasket and ARP studs for years in turbo applications. Supercharging will impose a significant limit if you use a centri supercharger. Eurosport has made a twin screw kit that should satisfy your requirements admirably, especially if you swap in a S50 bottom end to get additional displacement.

Check in the FI section under the tried and true setups thread.

My Cars
    2019 Golf Mk7 1.4T
    s50 ftw

RIP 1994 e36 325i Boston Grun.
    e36 DIY: Climate Control Light Replace (analog)
    4>2 Member #5