Thread: 2002 Front Fender Removal

My Cars
    1997 540i 6-speed

2002 Front Fender Removal

Hi, This is my first post . . . ever, to any forum, please bear with me. I need information on BMW 2002 Front End bodywork. How do I remove a front fender? Do the inner and outer fenders come off as a unit? It seems necessary to seperate the fender from the nose piece by cutting, is that correct? Any information would be appreciated.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    I don't know the details myself. Other's on here will. In the meanwhile, here's a good reference site for 2002 restoration, lots of pics/details covering a full restore of a 2002tii - it might even have the info you're looking for.

http://www.my2002tii.com

Welcome, BTW. Good luck with the 02 front clip.

My Cars
    e10s, e30s, e36s, e34s

Fender removal

Hey,

I posted a scanned article from an ol' BMW magazine years ago on my site how to do this. Go to my site (I can't post a link. Some BS about not enough permissions on this forum which sounds ridiculous to me):

www dot marsmann dot com /2002tii/ techspecs.htm

and go down towards the bottom to click on the Fender Removal/replacement how to. Put the above together and substitute the "dot" with an actual period.

Enjoy!

My Cars
    1997 540i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    I don't know the details myself. Other's on here will. In the meanwhile, here's a good reference site for 2002 restoration, lots of pics/details covering a full restore of a 2002tii - it might even have the info you're looking for.

Welcome, BTW. Good luck with the 02 front clip.
    Hi . . . thanks for the link to the 2002 restoration site. It will surely provide much useful information. Nothing yet on front fender changeout, however. If you come across anything, please let me know. Mike

My Cars
    1997 540i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by marsmann View Post
    Hey,

I posted a scanned article from an ol' BMW magazine years ago on my site how to do this. Go to my site (I can't post a link. Some BS about not enough permissions on this forum which sounds ridiculous to me):

www dot marsmann dot com /2002tii/ techspecs.htm

and go down towards the bottom to click on the Fender Removal/replacement how to. Put the above together and substitute the "dot" with an actual period.

Enjoy!
    Wow . . . I was about to post a message stating I couldn't find the site . . . ran into the same URL blocking software you did, then discovered a couple of errant spaces (blanks) in your posting. Eureka . . . this should do the trick. I'll let you know in a day or two. Thanks, Mike

My Cars
    several
    the fender is separate. 2002s are unibodied. There are a fe bolts to remove and at the front upper portion, they ere originally leaded to fill the gap.

My Cars
    1997 540i 6-speed
    Quote Originally Posted by 2many02s View Post
    the fender is separate. 2002s are unibodied. There are a fe bolts to remove and at the front upper portion, they ere originally leaded to fill the gap.
    Thanks 2many02s . . . I found everything I needed to know in the magazine article link provided by marsmann. To any one interested there is a lot of adhesive applied at the factory. The intent being to seal the joints between the fenders and the unibody. I would imagine it contributes to stiffness as well. As a result it is difficult to remove a fender. Mike

My Cars
    several
    I have a junker that I am going to practice on. It is eventually going to be an 02 carryall trailer.

My Cars
    74-2002tii/76-2002a/79-323i/90-525i/91-318is
    Quote Originally Posted by mamarrone View Post
    Hi, This is my first post . . . ever, to any forum, please bear with me. I need information on BMW 2002 Front End bodywork. How do I remove a front fender? Do the inner and outer fenders come off as a unit? It seems necessary to seperate the fender from the nose piece by cutting, is that correct? Any information would be appreciated.
    The article you have is by written by the folks over in the UK at Jaymic and covers the subject well. I reviewed that also prior to doing my project.

Here are two photos you wont find on my site about the fender removal. The real question is whether or not your original fenders have been replaced. They really stuck them on their good back at the factory.

Good luck with your project,

Keith
    1974 2002tii -"Stella"
    • 1975 2002 • 1976 2002a "Gert" • 1979 E21 323i • 1991 318is • 1990 525i •

Webmaster 2002 Registry | Co-Director Tii Register

My Other Time Waster

My Cars
    1985 7351, 2009 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by my2002tii View Post
    The article you have is by written by the folks over in the UK at Jaymic and covers the subject well. I reviewed that also prior to doing my project.

Here are two photos you wont find on my site about the fender removal. The real question is whether or not your original fenders have been replaced. They really stuck them on their good back at the factory.

Good luck with your project,

Does anyone have that magazine article? The link expired. I could really use it. Thanks!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3