Thread: Rebuilt Title -- Stay away?

My Cars
    87 Eurospec M3

Rebuilt Title -- Stay away?

I'm looking for an e36 coupe and ran accross a 96 328is, it has m3 bumpers and side skirts (all OEM parts) as well as 2 sets of wheels and h&r race springs, 62,000kms (~38,500 miles). The owner is asking $25,000 CAD (~16,000 USD). Just curious if I should stay away from this car or go test drive the car and have it checked out, and if everything *seems* good then lowball him?

Thanks,
    Stan

My Cars
    M3 & M Coupe
    for a rebuilt title he seems really high. i would go with $12k but by no means i would stay away from it. have everything checked out though.
    Only a company that built airplane engines could build a car to make your heart soar. BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    -If you use hair gel... M3...
    -if you put gear oil in your hair... ///M Coupe...
    Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    one should always strive for improvement...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    There is a difference between good driver and a responible driver. Good drivers aren't always responisble and responsible drivers aren't always good. The trick is to try and learn to be both.
    If you gave a european engineer 8300 cc's to play with, he'd come up with a lot more than 500 hp. We can get that much these days from a pencil sharpener..
    (Clarkson driving the Viper)

My Cars
    87 Eurospec M3
    thanks for the input, as a side note those miles are total on the car, not after the rebuild

I bought my black 1997 328is, 4 months ago, with 90 000 kms, for $22 000 cdn.

Keep looking.

I'd offer him at the most 19k for it, and even then you will have a very hard time trying to sell it cause of the title.

You should stay away.

My Cars
    '94 325IC Blk/Tan (stock, but not for long)
    Hi Stan,
    I'm posting this link just to give you an example of what's out there. This car is being sold by a Cleveland dealer. Its a real M3 with 34k miles, no rebuilt title, and they're asking $19,900, meaning it could be had for $16k or so.
    http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...BF0324SEN91713
    Evan 1994 325IC

My Cars
    97 328i
    I would stay away from it at this time. As others have pointed out, there are so many clear title cars out there right now to be had for great deals. Why pay the same price for a re-built title, when you can get a clear title car. You will definately have trouble selling it down the road too.

Take your time and you'll find the perfect car.
    Improved for speed

My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP, 90 Mi
    I think with a rebuilt title you should get a rebuilt title price. Which basically means chop a third off the top of a clean title car price. I've seen M3's with rebuilt or salvage titles for really cheap. As long as you pay a low price for the car you are fine.

That sounds a bit high for a car with a salvage/rebuilt title. I'd do 12k no more than that.

My Cars
    87 Eurospec M3
    thanks for all the advice, looks like more waiting for me

My Cars
    no BMW at the time
    stay away from rebuilt. You never know what WASN'T rebuil on it, and what WAS

Originally posted by Janolaw
    Hi Stan,
    I'm posting this link just to give you an example of what's out there. This car is being sold by a Cleveland dealer. Its a real M3 with 34k miles, no rebuilt title, and they're asking $19,900, meaning it could be had for $16k or so.
    http://www.getauto.com/autolinks_car...BF0324SEN91713
    oh, crap. That's nice.
    Ordered: '14 BMW M4
    Current: '08 Suzuki GSXR 1000; '08 HD Street Bob
    Previous: '06 BMW 330Ci; '06 Mercedes CLK-350; '04 Acura TL A-Spec; '95 BMW 318ti

My Cars
    2004 Honda CR-V
    Janolaw, where do you live in Cleveland? Is that your 94 325iC? It looks like the one I saw at Solon, BMW when stopped by during the late fall to pick up some parts.

My Cars
    '94 325IC Blk/Tan (stock, but not for long)
    Hey, just sent you a PM. I live in Solon and you are correct: My car is the same one you saw at the Solon BMW dealer. I love it but so far I haven't put the top down yet. Can't wait!! Whereabouts in Cleveland are you?
    Evan 1994 325IC