Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch the build-up of a Vorshlag E36 LS1

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeZ View Post
    Lets keep this thread on topic (Vorshlag conversion)
    Agreed. This thread is about Vorshlag's build-up of their car and future products. Lets try to keep it on topic.
    Last edited by BimmerBoyZ3; 04-16-2007 at 03:03 PM.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBoyZ3 View Post
    Agreed. This thread is about Vorshlag's build-up of their car and future products. Lets try not to keep it on topic.
    Typo, or humor? You decide...

(Note: bimmerBoyZ3 corrected it after this post)
    Last edited by DaveAZ; 04-16-2007 at 03:04 PM.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 135i Coupé
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveAZ View Post
    Typo, or humor? You decide...
    Typo...hectic day today.
    -Dustin

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    Quote Originally Posted by LexdiamonNYC View Post
    I don't know about anybody else, but having a vendor with an established reputation in a community that i'm a part of, and having that same vendor document most of their R&D and post it for us to critique and ooh & aah at, speak volumes to me.....and will definately make me feel alot more comfortable doing business with them.......!!!
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

My Cars
    535i
    Quote Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
    Automatic question: Not supported in the initial kit, but we're willing to entertain the idea if there's a market for it.
    I am sorry, I meant using an originally automatic vehicle and then going over to a LS1/T56 combo as you guys are accomplishing in the initial kit.

My Cars
    '98 EK4, '96 CP9A
    would the shorty headers clear the steering shaft on a RHD vehicle? I'm pretty sure there are more than a few ppl interested in this conversion from UK and Asia

My Cars
    '91 318is, '93 GMW, Evo
    Quote Originally Posted by joon View Post
    would the shorty headers clear the steering shaft on a RHD vehicle? I'm pretty sure there are more than a few ppl interested in this conversion from UK and Asia
    Hmm, that's going to be a little tough since we won't have one around to mock up. Plus, your brake booster is on the other side, our motor mounts are designed to clear a LHD booster not to mention the hard lines that run from the M/C to the ABS servo motor are different as well. We're always open to help, but I think until Vorshlag LTD opens up in Asia, it might be a little challenging.

Automatic question: Yes, we have started with an automatic. It should be nothing more than finding a clutch pedal assy, m/s and a few hard lines to convert to a manual. The pedal box has mounting points for the pedal already on our car. Fewer parts required than converting a BMW auto to a BMW manual since we're doing the driveshaft AND the T56 has the clutch slave on the throw out bearing. I priced out buying the parts from BMW and it is actually fairly inexpensive. Pricing from salvage yards is dicey because no one really wants to get under a dash for a clutch pedal and a hard line from the clutch m/s to slave, $50 worth of parts. We will most likely locate the parts then go "pick a part" them ourselves.

As for a kit (your question), I'm speculating at this point, but we may provide the challenging parts, lines, etc then tell you what else you need to source. You can decide whether you want new stuff from BMW or salvage them from a car being parted out.
    Brian Hanchey
    www.ast-usa.com
    AST Suspension - USA

For 2012, AST Suspension - USA is a proud to support the following series:

Official supplier to the GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge
    Official sponsor of the Pirelli World Challenge Series
    Contingency sponsor to SCCA and NASA amateur racing

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Any update so far? Headers?
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    21.5# injectors(50k miles)-$60
    Crystal Clear 4 door corners-$20
    Grey 2dr C Pillars covers-$30
    Grey Sunvisors-$30
    Grey Sunroof Motor cover-$10
    Grey Sunroof trim peice-#10

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=566229

My Cars
    535i
    Automatic question: Yes, we have started with an automatic. It should be nothing more than finding a clutch pedal assy...
    Thanks for answering my question. Getting the option for the hard parts and the part numbers or such for the other parts (pedals, etc) would be great.
    Last edited by Divergent; 04-19-2007 at 05:43 PM.

My Cars
    E21 323i, 1967 Mercedes 230s, E36 325 coupe, 2002
    Nice work guys! Any new updates? I have seen this conversion done in Australia on a RHD car a couple of years ago. It was a car converted from a Holden Commodore SS. It also had a badly broken diff. It so happens that a standard 318is diff cant handle the power of a V8!

My Cars
    '98 EK4, '96 CP9A
    Hmm, that's going to be a little tough since we won't have one around to mock up. Plus, your brake booster is on the other side, our motor mounts are designed to clear a LHD booster not to mention the hard lines that run from the M/C to the ABS servo motor are different as well. We're always open to help, but I think until Vorshlag LTD opens up in Asia, it might be a little challenging.
    oh well.. thanks for the quick reply.. E36's are cheap and plentiful here and this would be an awesome project.. I can probably deal with the MC and all the accessories.. it's just the engine mounts and headers I'm concerned about.. if I'm seeing it correct, I think your LHD offset mounts would work if got rid of my RHD vacuum booster and ran a hydraulic-assist booster instead?

anyway.. looking forward to seeing the completion of the beta prototype

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Divergent View Post
    Thanks for answering my question. Getting the option for the hard parts and the part numbers or such for the other parts (pedals, etc) would be great.
    Just pick up a pedal assy from the salvage yard. I did for mine. You could buy each individual piece from BMW but it will more likely cost more.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i
    Pick up parts from a junkyard? AMERICAN engine in a BMW? This is all sacrilege!...

Just kidding, I've been waiting for this project to come to kit form for about a year and a half, and I can't wait to see the finished result!!!

ROCK. ON.

My Cars
    98' M3/LS2; 97'' 328i
    Anyone have an idea of how this kit (or this engine in an M) is going to be for daily or semi daily driveability? Noise, vibration, excessive squeaks and rattles, higher underhood temps, etc.
    Just wondering.

Either way, I can't wait to hear an update.

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Anyone have an idea of how this kit (or this engine in an M) is going to be for daily or semi daily driveability? Noise, vibration, excessive squeaks and rattles, higher underhood temps, etc.
    Just wondering.

+1
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    Grey Sunvisors-$30

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Speed View Post
    Just wondering. Either way, I can't wait to hear an update.
    Its not for me to say but I will anyway.

It shouldn't be much different than the original motor. Same apprx weight and the motor runs well in a Chevy. The headers may give off more heat but it shouldn't be a problem.

There should be no squeaks and rattles from the kit or engine. In time the extra torque could concieveably lossen some welds though.

In general I would expect very little difference in the items you listed.
    Frank
    540/6

Race/Street Rubber Z1 Star, 275/35-18 Front & Rear, Eibach Sways Front & Rear, Cut and Formed OEM Sport Springs, Bilstein Sports, Go-Go-Ware, ATE disks w/SS lines & HPS pads, UUC SS, CDV, White/Tan, Bling free and Stealthy.

My Cars
    98 M3, 2005 silverado,
    You can always have your headers ceramic coated that greatly reduces underhood temps.

My Cars
    BMW #6 (see sig)
    Quote Originally Posted by franka View Post
    There should be no squeaks and rattles from the kit or engine.
    Do the motor mounts that will be provided in the kit have the same vibration-absorbing properties that the OEM BMW ones do? That would surprise me...

-Evan
    1992 525i 5speed: Sold :: 1996 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 540i 6speed: Sold :: 1995 M3ti 5speed: Sold :: 1997 328i 5speed: Sold :: 1997 528i 5speed: Sold

"Success is a series of great decisions backed by action."

"Cowards never start, the weak quit along the way and only the strong survive"

"Success is when opportunity and preparedness meet."

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Speed View Post
    Just wondering.

Update: Headers are being built. Tedious, tedious job we've asked a professional fabricator handle for us. Making them to work with a production cnc-bender adds more thought and tedium to the process. These things take time - a couple more weeks, hopefully.

As for squeaks and rattles, well, the E36 chassis is pretty tight. My daily driven '97 M3 has zero squeaks after 117K miles, 100's of solo events on sticky rubber, spherical bearing camber plates, and 750# springs. Will adding 150+ hp add to the stress on the unibody chassis? Surely, but not unbearably so. We'll see as we rack up the miles, but certain aspects are already planned for upgrading, including the rear subframe (some added gussets), the lower K-member brace (we'll make an alternate to the factory convertible/LTW "X-brace"), and an upper strut tower brace (our Mason Engineering braces fit with ease). Now on our customers 700+ hp version, considerably more chassis bracing will be added to this track terror, such as a 10+ point cage, thru-the-floor subframe connectors, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahheck01 View Post
    Do the motor mounts that will be provided in the kit have the same vibration-absorbing properties that the OEM BMW ones do? That would surprise me...

-Evan

Prepare to be surprised. Our LS1 swap set-up uses our proven Polyurethane Competition Vorshlag E36/E46 motor mounts as a part of the LS1 motor mount assembly. These work well in the E36/E46 on the street - much firmer than OEM goo-filled rubber mounts but not vibration prone below 1000 rpms like our Nylon Ultra-Competition motor mounts. So, they won't be "factory BMW" NVH free, but damn close. More impressions will be posted when the headers are done and its running.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    '98 EK4, '96 CP9A
    it breaks my heart to see no RHD headers in development haha :P

damn I've gotta find a way to make this work on our RHD cars... LOL

My Cars
    BMW 328i E36
    HI there folks, some possibly dumb questions cumming up (i'm not technical)

I would like to know if the mod will be fully integrated with the current speedo and ref counter and i presume that the onboard computer will be out of a job (no range,distance,consumption,check and code?)

Cant wait to see/order the final product ! :-)

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Bump
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    Grey Sunvisors-$30

My Cars
    94E36S50,96S52,03Z4,etc
    Quote Originally Posted by trebla View Post
    HI there folks, some possibly dumb questions cumming up (i'm not technical)

I would like to know if the mod will be fully integrated with the current speedo and rev counter and i presume that the onboard computer will be out of a job (no range,distance,consumption,check and code?)

Cant wait to see/order the final product ! :-)
    Speedo is off the diff (yes)
    rev counter requires a modification to make it read 8cyl instead of 6 cyl (yes)

onboard "Check ok" box goes away (no loss- you never know when your washer fluid is low or when your brake circuit is just fine but it tells you it isn't.)

You also get a new port to the LS-1 computer.

My Cars
    BMW 328i E36
    Thanks man ! :-)

"I need to see this car in action"

My Cars
    Cosmos 328is
    Any idea on price?
    "I can sell out Madison Square Gardens masturbating" -Mike Tyson...
    Fight my brute now!! - http://wopperjr.mybrute.com

Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast