Thread: Pulling m30 motor from e23...Hard to do?

My Cars
    E30 325is & 325e

Pulling m30 motor from e23...Hard to do?

I have an e23 parts car that has front end damage on it (hit a retaining wall at 60mph...and the motor was still running afterwards) I'm going to pull the motor from it and do a m30 swap on my e30 ...how hard is the motor/tranny out? the trans is an auto so I won't be needed that, but i figured it would be easier pulling the drivetrain out in one piece. I haven't pulled a motor out before but i have done my clutch and oil pan on the e30 and thats done easiest with the motor hoisted a few inches above the subframe. Aside from that I'm clueless about removing a motor and such....any advice would be helpful.

My Cars
    00 740i 6spd, 01 740i
    IMO. run away. E23 M30 not the best choice for that type of swap.

My Cars
    E30 325is & 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfixr View Post
    IMO. run away. E23 M30 not the best choice for that type of swap.
    true but I already have the e23 and it was free, the top end was rebuilt in april and it has like 180,000 miles on it only 30K more than my e30 ...i know i have to change the oil pan..but with the older gen m30 i can use my wiring harness and such..

plik is offline Voted "Nicest Guy" - 2007
    My Cars
    1998 740i
    I say do it! I mean, why not -- it'll be fun. You will, of course, need an engine lift.

The great thing about older cars is there is much more documentation from BMW that's available. So you'll actually be able to get a repair manual, unlike us E38 owners.

My Cars
    E23, E32
    there's a pretty good 'engine removal' write-up in the E32 Bentley. It wouldn't be the exact same obivously but the engines are fairly similar.

Not the hardest thing in the world at all.

I belive if you look around the E38.org site (the E32 page) you might find a link for a Bentley manual . . . just saying haha