Thread: 2006 750li Sunroof Issue

My Cars
    750li

2006 750li Sunroof Issue

I have a 2006 750li and I have a question about the sunroof. When I open my sunshade while driving I hear air coming into the car. When I close the sunshade everything is fine. The sunroof opens and closes perfectly. I have dark tint on my windows and sometimes I like to open the sunshade (without opening the sunroof) just to allow some extra light in the car. I have had this issue since the first day I bought the car.
    Has anyone heard of this issue?
    Thank you for your time.

John

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    I've driven in countless ones and I've never heard this. Since it's a 2k6 take it into the dealer and have them check it out. Could be many things.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740i, 1986 Mazda RX7, 2000 Isuzu Trooper.
    I have a 97 740i that does exactly the same thing. I bought it two years ago with 133k miles on it and it has been like that since I got it. I have always kept the sun shade closed when the sunroof is closed.

Please post if you find out what causes this (I'm guessing a bad seal on the sunroof).

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Both of my cars (e30 and e38) exhibit the same behavior, and neither leak. The moonroof does make some noise which is muffled by the shade. Normally I will drive with the shade closed unless in town, where I prefer to drive windows up and moonroof fully open.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    '04 760Li, '07 Tahoe LTZ, '02 ZX12R, '04 Road Star
    I have an '04 760Li and with the sunshade open it does the same thing. I have heard that they all do it. This is the air rushing over the front lip of the sunroof. I have ridden in a couple of other E65/66's and they make the same noise with the shade open. No leaks from mine.

Maybe the service writer has a cure, but wait until your next service to bring it up.
    2007 BMW 525i All Options

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ Der elefant (RIP) 10/31/09
    2004 BMW 760Li Der dicker esel(sold) best car ever
    2004 Subaru STi(sold) fast and fun to drive, not comfortable
    2002 MB ML320 Sport (sold) good car, MB customer service leaves little after warranties run out

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE7(sold) Big POS

1967 Hemi GTX(sold) Will always be missed

My Cars
    750li
    Glad to know that I am not the only one with this issue.
    I have had several other luxury cars and suv's none of them ever did this.
    Thank you for all the responses!

John

My Cars
    Yeah, I can drive them.
    I don't think this is an issue. Its just the wat it is. My e38 and the e66 both make that noise. Same noise, same results. I rarely opened the sunroof on the e38. Once a month to keep it working. I have run the e66 through a few times just to make sure it worked. All you are hearing is wind noise. Maybe some aerodynamisist <sp?> could fix it or recuce the noise but its a fact that it is there on almost every car with a sunroof. Its not a problem unless you have a leak.

FWIW, I have had it on EVERY car/van/truck/suv I have ever owned that had a sunroof. US, Asian and German.....

My Cars
    '04 760Li, '07 Tahoe LTZ, '02 ZX12R, '04 Road Star
    I agree with T56.

Come to think of it my '07 Tahoe has that wind noise as well wit hthe shade open!

Don't sweat it. If you want silence close the shade!
    2007 BMW 525i All Options

2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ Der elefant (RIP) 10/31/09
    2004 BMW 760Li Der dicker esel(sold) best car ever
    2004 Subaru STi(sold) fast and fun to drive, not comfortable
    2002 MB ML320 Sport (sold) good car, MB customer service leaves little after warranties run out

2004 Land Rover Discovery HSE7(sold) Big POS

1967 Hemi GTX(sold) Will always be missed

My Cars
    01 740iL w/Sport Package, 01 Lightning, 01 HD F150
    some had luck changing the s/r gasket or the top windshield seal. another known culprit are missing jack pads. If your car is OK in these 3 areas and still makes noise, then it may be a design quirk.

BTW, mine also makes the same noise and I either close the shade when it gets too loud. Or the pleasure of driving the 7 makes me forget about it.

My Cars
    2000 S/C 740i sport (03/99) Orient Blue
    Ditto - changed S/R seal 2x so far and adjusted a few time, everytime it goes away but seems to always re-appear in time. One way to tell is to push the front of the sunroof frame up and forward while driving. If the noise goes away it is probably seal or adjustment. If the noise is unchanged it is air rush which is normal.

My Cars
    WIND NOISE IS 100% NORMAL WITH SUNSHADE OPEN. Sorry, just a fact. Dealers can try and adjust the glass, but it never really goes away. They don't seal 100%. If they did, they wouldn't need drains in the front corners!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    I'm beginning to like this forum more and more, as more and more BMW technicians and mechs begin to chime in on various issues. You guys see these problems every day and can definitely play a very important part on this forum with your advice. Contribute often and at length.

Thanks in advance for your participation and advice.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    07 750

Air Noise in Sun Roof

Quote Originally Posted by gcmartin View Post
    I have an '04 760Li and with the sunshade open it does the same thing. I have heard that they all do it. This is the air rushing over the front lip of the sunroof. I have ridden in a couple of other E65/66's and they make the same noise with the shade open. No leaks from mine.

Maybe the service writer has a cure, but wait until your next service to bring it up.
    It is not the air rushing over the tip. something is misaligned or there is a bad gasket. I've had several different cars and none of them made noise. My Lexus at any speed to totally quiet.

My Cars
    89'750iL,98'740iL,00'M5
    My E38 made the same noise and it was the roof drains in the front that came out of place. Could be that? It did quiet down when the cover was slid over. Might be a similar issue?