Thread: Anyone have issues with windows not retracting when door opens?

My Cars
    F10, E30

Anyone have issues with windows not retracting when door opens?

A friend of mine has an '06 Cooper S and twice this winter, her window's won't drop down when she opens the door.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else. So far, I'm attributing it to the humid weather we have here which occasionally gets cold enough. When I had to park my M3 outside I noticed the same thing once and a while. The only difference with her case, is that they seem to stay frozen all day while mine were back to normal after driving to work/school.

I'll probably just send her to the dealership if it happens again. Hey, it's free anyway!

Also, windows DO function normally. Only the window retraction doesn't when this has been an issue.

TIA!

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Anyone???

My Cars
    MINI Cooper S, BMWs
    there is a way to reset the windows... I believe you hold both window switches up for a few seconds and then hold both down for 20-30 seconds.

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Ok, but this is an intermittent problem that has only occurred twice. I doubt they need to be reset.

My Cars
    1987 325is
    if it happens again tell her that when it happens run the windows that are malfunctioning down then all the way back up with the door open and see if that helps. if the window goes all the way up and the door cannot be closed it could be a looped up door lock accuator, due to the possible frozen windows. and maybe the control module stayes looped up until the car is turned off then back on.

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Yup. My thoughts exactly and I had her do that each of the two times. I scheduled an oil change for her on Monday and told them to check on that while it's there.

I appreciate the response!

My Cars
    E39BMW R52Mini
    I was having this exact problem with my cooper, come to find out the problem was me. I noticed the windows not dropping when i opened the doors. It only happened a few times. My problem was that i wasnt rolling the windows all the way up. They would appear to be all the way up from inside the car, but i was letting off the swith too soon. If the windows are not at the full up position when you open the door, they will not drop. I tested this by rolling the windows down about 1/4", then opening the door.... with the same result. I now make sure the windows are all the way up before i get out and i havent had the problem since. This was my experience, you might be having a different problem but you could try this to see if it works

My Cars
    2006 MINI Cooper S
    This happened twice to me this winter. I attributed it to being -18 below zero out and keeping my MINI in a heated garage. Thaw~freeze~thaw~[pressure wash ]~thaw~freeze~thaw... viscious cycle winter is. All is fine now that spring is *trying* to rear it's head up here.

.:: Cheers, Thompson ::.
    MINI Germany Report tsrennsport.com

My Cars
    F10, E30
    Yup. I'm attributing her problems to it being cold as well. She hasn't had any problems lately. The dealership looked at the window when she was getting her oil changed and said all is well.