Thread: Time to start looking for a Car!!

My Cars
    01 Jetta Wolfsburg edition + 6spd Acura TSX

Time to start looking for a Car!!

ok. i'm well on my way to maintaining my 3.9gpa. so that means that i've lived up to my end of the contract allowing me to get a car at the end of this school year. so the question is: what car? i have a $15,000 limit and the car must be insurance reasonable for a 17year old with no tickets. my criteria would be the following

1) Manual transmission (been driving one for the last 2 years....i'm addicted to the stick)
    2) NOT AN SUV
    3) something with under 60,000 miles
    4) good stock power and handling (my parents are not real big on mods since some guy with a riced out civic wrapped his around a tree last year--killed driver and passenger)
    5) i'd like to stay away from accords, camrys, etc.
    6) i'd like an AWD of RWD, but that's not a necessity. i love the FWD jetta i've been driving.
    7) i'd kinda like to stay in the german family.

with that being said, i've been looking at A4quattros, 97 328is, older 540 6speeds (95). any other suggestions? thanks

My Cars
    inbetween
    Hmm....

I'm kinda in the same situation. If you find a 95-99 M3 for under $23,000 that's an AWESOME deal, post about it

My Cars
    M3 & M Coupe

Re: Time to start looking for a Car!!

Originally posted by wolfsburg02
    ok. i'm well on my way to maintaining my 3.9gpa. so that with that being said, i've been looking at A4quattros, 97 328is, older 540 6speeds (95). any other suggestions? thanks
    good luck trying to find those cars with under 60k miles for 15 grand.: you could probably go for a audi a4, passatt, GTI and some others.
    Only a company that built airplane engines could build a car to make your heart soar. BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine"

Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    -If you use hair gel... M3...
    -if you put gear oil in your hair... ///M Coupe...
    Quote Originally Posted by count_schemula
    one should always strive for improvement...
    Quote Originally Posted by JBgotM
    There is a difference between good driver and a responible driver. Good drivers aren't always responisble and responsible drivers aren't always good. The trick is to try and learn to be both.
    If you gave a european engineer 8300 cc's to play with, he'd come up with a lot more than 500 hp. We can get that much these days from a pencil sharpener..
    (Clarkson driving the Viper)

My Cars
    01 Jetta Wolfsburg edition + 6spd Acura TSX
    i guess the 60,000 miles is not a necessity. if i can find a clean one with say, 80 or so, that'd be ok. like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6008

My Cars
    '97 328is
    heard there were engine issues (I think a sulfur problem with US gasoline) with pre 96 BMW V8's, so watch out.

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    get a 95 m3 with 50k miles for right around 20k
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    -
    i'd get either a 95 M3 or you could get an E36 325-328 with lower miles.

My Cars
    Automobiles
    Originally posted by AlphaLead
    heard there were engine issues (I think a sulfur problem with US gasoline) with pre 96 BMW V8's, so watch out.
    I think those were only on the 7 series...but I could be very wrong.

Back to the question.

I'd say any of these:

E36 96-98 328i/is
    E34 5 series
    B5 Passat
    MKIV Jetta/Golf 1.8t or VR6
    97-99 A4 Quattro (either 1.8t or 2.8)

The A4's market value would be a little bit over your price limit, but with wise bargaining you will be able to get one. Also, the 96 A4's had 12v engines, so stay away from those.
    -Zack

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    naw. the nikasil problem pertained to the 4 liter bmw v8's back in 94 and 95 on the 7 series and the 5 series
    BALLERWERKS