Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: E39 540i DIY: Replacing your center link and tie rod ends

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Great thread, but most of the links to recommended tools, especially the ZDMAK tools are out of date and no longer work.

My Cars
    540iT6, E39 M5, E61 535i
    Thanks for the excellent DIY! Thanks to you, I was able do this job fairly easily.

My $.02:

I kept the tie rod ends on the center link and pulled the whole thing out as one unit after removing the idler/Pittman arms. This made it easy to line up the new ones to be in roughly the same position. It was a bit awkward and I had to turn the wheel a couple of times, but not too painful. This will also make it easier to put the ends on the correct sides of the center link! You don't want to get this wrong.

Also, the standard Harbor Freight ball joint tool worked for all 4 of the ball joints. It was a tight fit on the two on the center link, but it worked.

Finally - it is extremely easy to put the re-assembled unit in backward if you're not careful! The easy trick is to remember that the bolts for the tie rod ends should face down to make it a little easier on the alignment folks.

Good luck!

My Cars
    E39 M-Sport F30 M-Sport
    Quick question for those that have done this.. should I try my luck with a pickle fork for the center link portion or should I just rent a puller? There’s no close auto parts store for me so it will be a bit out of the way.
    E39 WhatsApp Chat Gruppe

My Cars
    00 540_6
    Two hours of swearing at the air hammer driven pickel fork. Read this thread and go from the front with a full size pickel fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current:
    2000 540I6 DD
    2001 F250 4X4 tow beast
    2016 RRS 3.0 supercharged (wifes DD)
    1999 Miata (go kart for the street)
    1970 Mustang (in flux, 393 build in progress)

Past
    1957 bel air 1965 Mustang (first car) 1965 SS impala
    1966 496 malibu 1969 Camaro 1970 Nova
    1997 528IA 1997 540I6 2000 528IA 2001 525IA

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Loved that rusted part!
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Just dived into this job and finished it today, took about 3 hours or so. Wasn't too bad at all. My advice is make sure you buy a quality center link that will have L or R stamped on each side! Also, remove the drivers side first. I used the tool from Harbor Frieght. Took me 3 minutes to release the Pittman arm stud (drivers side). Don't fool with a fork ,buy this tool i mentioned. The passengers side (idler arm) stud was harder. You will have to turn the steering all the way to the left and put the tool over it. There is no other way to gain good access.Also when re-installing. I recommend doing the drivers side (Pittman arm) first. Put a nut on it but dont tighten it down. Then move over the to the passengers side and you will have to turn the steering to about the middle yet slightly more to the right ,then i used a large screwdriver to pop the idler arm stud into the center link. This was the hard part.

I paid $54 for the center link from am-autoparts. Hi quality part
    Last edited by ninetyseven1; 06-24-2019 at 09:24 PM.
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    1997 540i
    ok so center link installedn and car drives very very smooth now, no more wheel shaking but the only issue is my steering wheel is extremely floppy and if i move it too quickly to the left or right while moving the car will pull very hard in that direction. In other words , while moving down the road i can let go of the steering wheel and it drives straight but if i turn the wheel left or right the steering is very erratic and feels like the front wheels are about to do a 360! There is NO tightness in the steering wheel. you can barely touch it and it will spin freely in either direction! This is what may have happened: while under the car I had the new center link bolted on to the idler arm on passenger side , while i was trying to put the new center link in i grabbed the pittman arm by hand and was moving the pitman arm around that way trying to get it connected to the center link. I was trying to avoid having to keep getting up turning the steering wheel. It is necessary to turn the steering wheel to get the center link on though. What needs to be adjusted here? The car is un drivable really.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe I need to take the new center link out again?? I think i need to do the following: Remove center link from pitman arm and idler arm, pull the pitmarm all the way to the left (toward the left from the drivers perspective) then turn actual steering wheel all the way to the left? and then bolt the center link up the pitman arm? then instead of going over the passengers side and pulling centerlink and pitman arm over all the way to the right, i should have first turned the steering wheel by hand all the way to the right and then moved idler arm all the way to the right by hand? and then bolt to the center link? does this sound correct?
    Electric Fan conversion, 840Ci thermostat, Dinan style CAI,de-screened MAF, Dinan transmission chip, 255lph LS1 fuel pump, drilled slotted rotors, 3.15 differential, Bel rx65 radar (hard-wired). Hemi Killer!

My Cars
    1997 540i
    I can basically spin my steering wheel like the front wheels are not on the car, there is NO tightness and its very scary to drive.

My Cars
    2001 540i 6MT, 05 Armada
    Is there a way to re-upload the images? I've got a so-so understanding of the procedure from the text, but images are worth a thousand words...

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by ninetyseven1 View Post
    I can basically spin my steering wheel like the front wheels are not on the car, there is NO tightness and its very scary to drive.

It was an alignment issue, took the car to get aligned and all is well.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    It was an alignment issue, took the car to get aligned and all is well.
    Took you almost 9 months to figure all that out, and you said you were a mechanic?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1997 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Took you almost 9 months to figure all that out, and you said you were a mechanic?
    I figured it out over 9 months ago , but i have been on other forums
    Last edited by ninetyseven1; 03-18-2020 at 01:05 AM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I figured it out over 9 months ago , but i have been on other forums
    I'm calling major BS on this one. We all know that you have a hard time tying your shoes every morning. Replaced your clockspring yet?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Other quick questions for those who have done this. On the E39 540i :
    If you are only replacing the rusty outer tie rods (steps 1 to 8 of this DIY write up) do you recommend removing the tires ? And why would you have to remove the pittman /idler arm ?? Do you still need an alignment after the job ??

It seems a pretty straight remove and replace of the outer tie-rods, if you can just jack up the car.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123