Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E30 M52 swap.....

My Cars
    '86 325...65k original(SOLD) Current- 1997 740iL

E30 M52 swap.....

I have a 1990 325i with a bad engine. I can get an M52 with 60k miles for $500 for it. I just need to know how difficult that is because of the OBD II...And how much it would cost roughly for someone to put it in for me...

mods are for people who dont appreciate a true signature BMW

My Cars
    '93 850 (DD), '88 zinno iX, '68 Mercedes 230
    M52 for 500...are you sure it's an M52?
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My Cars
    '86 325...65k original(SOLD) Current- 1997 740iL
    Oh im positive...thats why i want to buy it...2.8l...saw it with my own eyes

mods are for people who dont appreciate a true signature BMW

My Cars
    '93 850 (DD), '88 zinno iX, '68 Mercedes 230

Thumbs up

nice...good luck then
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

My Cars
    1985 325e 1987 325e 1997 R1100RT
    I don't know if it can be done, but see a huge headache in your future. Two back yard mechanics could swap out an M20 in a weekend, including consuming a case of beer. Everything will bolt up-plug in. You will have a nightmare going with anything else. IMHO. Especially if you have to pay someone to do the "fabrication."

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    You may wanna check out the info here

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=129

My Cars
    01 330i, Ducati SF1098
    you can make it work with obd2 parts but i understand its a big hassle. i have a local shop doing the work for me and here is what ive had to buy so far.
    - my m52 came with a obd1 intake manifold installed already, e36 motor mounts, e34 oil pan, pickup tube.
    but youll need to buy this.
    -treehouse lollipops to clear the exhaust
    -red sticker e36 DME
    -obd1 wiring harness (5spd is preferred)
    -e36 exhaust from the manifolds back
    -e36 radiator and hoses
    thats all i can think of right now. i bought pulleys,cams,chip and hfm already but that is more for performance and isnt important to the swap.

My Cars
    325i, S4
    Quote Originally Posted by adept View Post
    You may wanna check out the info here

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=129

That place has inspired many a foolish dream for me, but it's also very full of good information if you can actually manage to swing a project like this. Also, at $500 for the motor, that sounds like a pretty slick deal to me. Go for it!

My Cars
    I hope you have a truck load of money. If you are paying someone to do this for you, it will cost thousands. The cost of the used engine is the least of your worries. Take the money you will spend on the swap-fabrication and either rebuild your motor, or find a used one. In the process you can coax a few extra horsepower out of the stock M20. I think I am good "wrench" and have rebuilt and swapped countless engines over the year. But if you can't do the work yourself, have a couple of thousand dollars to spare, and afford to have the car disabled for months (tying up your garage-work space) don't go there!

My Cars
    Volvo 245
    It's not that difficult of a swap. Anyone with a bit of aptitude, some tools, and attention to detail should be able to do the swap in a week if all of the correct parts have been sourced. Buy the Project Orca Twincam swap CD for $100 and you are all set. http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...ategory_Code=S
    Friends don't let friends apex early

My Cars
    E30S50 & E30 M3& 08 F350 Harley Davidson edition
    Quote Originally Posted by smonkbmw View Post
    you can make it work with obd2 parts but i understand its a big hassle. i have a local shop doing the work for me and here is what ive had to buy so far.
    - my m52 came with a obd1 intake manifold installed already, e36 motor mounts, e34 oil pan, pickup tube.
    but youll need to buy this.
    -treehouse lollipops to clear the exhaust
    -red sticker e36 DME
    -obd1 wiring harness (5spd is preferred)
    -e36 exhaust from the manifolds back
    -e36 radiator and hoses
    thats all i can think of right now. i bought pulleys,cams,chip and hfm already but that is more for performance and isnt important to the swap.
    #1 you dont need the treehouse crap for the exhuast to clear
    #2 You can use the e30 exhaust
    #3 the e30 325 radiator is more than enough
    #4 Get megasquirt stand alone for the Electronics if you dont want to deal with the OEM ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by 9TimesiX View Post
    It's not that difficult of a swap. Anyone with a bit of aptitude, some tools, and attention to detail should be able to do the swap in a week if all of the correct parts have been sourced. Buy the Project Orca Twincam swap CD for $100 and you are all set. http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...ategory_Code=S
    +1 its not that hard. the hardest part is the electronics. but IMO the project orca CD is a a waste of 100 bucks. Ive read it and honestly you can PM me for all you questions and i can give you a step by step guide to the install for free
    Also DO NOT!!! buy the treehouse wire harness adapter!! I made mine in 20 minutes for about $20.

in conclusion-> I say do it! you'll love the reliable power in the end. and if you want to down the line you can bolt on a supercharger like i did and it is much more fun.

thanks,
    ///MAT

My Cars
    All that money to pay someone else to do the swap so you can have a car with V6 Mustang performance...wow am I impressed!

My Cars
    1 Cruiser, 1 boat
    Quote Originally Posted by drewladams View Post
    All that money to pay someone else to do the swap so you can have a car with V6 Mustang performance...wow am I impressed!
    Wow, don't be a jerk man. It sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. How many twin cam swaps have you done? BTW, it doesn't take more than an afternoon to swap out an m20, not a whole weekend.

To the OP, please feel free to PM me with any questions regarding the swap. It isn't too tough at all, just intimidating to anyone doing the swap for the first time. There are so many routes to choose when doing the swap. I would be more than happy to help put you in the right direction with a list of priorities and potentil budget.

To smonkbmw, I went the same route with some of the things you mention. We are on the same page on things such as the harness adaptor, exhaust, and cooling system. Although, I went with OBD1 ECU and custom chip, not MS. I will go that route when I do my next swap though.

My Cars
    1988 m3 2.3
    ODBI conversion you are looking at around $1500 in parts

Other wise it goes in just like any other s/m/50/52 swap

Also, the OBDI conversion is a ton easier if you do it before you drop the engine in.

My Cars
    1 Cruiser, 1 boat
    Quote Originally Posted by equate975 View Post
    ODBI conversion you are looking at around $1500 in parts

Other wise it goes in just like any other s/m/50/52 swap

Also, the OBDI conversion is a ton easier if you do it before you drop the engine in.
    $1500 is only if you buy all of your parts brand new. If you source things like knock sensors and M50 manifold, etc. used from other places, it can be way less. I think OBD1 extra costs for me were around $6-700 give or take a few dollars, with the ECU being the bulk of the price.

Right on about prepping OBD1 while the motor is out.

My Cars
    1988 m3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpressive View Post
    $1500 is only if you buy all of your parts brand new. If you source things like knock sensors and M50 manifold, etc. used from other places, it can be way less. I think OBD1 extra costs for me were around $6-700 give or take a few dollars, with the ECU being the bulk of the price.

Right on about prepping OBD1 while the motor is out.
    It would be more than $1500 if it was all new. You can easily spend 1k on the parts alone. A lot of stuff though like the fuel rail I felt was better just to buy a new one, same with the FPR and such. Also I guess I was calculating in the cost of a chip to disable EWS which will run you a pretty penny also.

It would probably be most cost effective to buy a complete (maybe even non-running) m50 and just strip the parts you need off of it, then sell the rest of the engine to a junk yard to make a few bucks back. You can get a cruddy one for like $4-500 easy.

My Cars
    1 Cruiser, 1 boat
    Quote Originally Posted by equate975 View Post
    It would be more than $1500 if it was all new. You can easily spend 1k on the parts alone. A lot of stuff though like the fuel rail I felt was better just to buy a new one, same with the FPR and such. Also I guess I was calculating in the cost of a chip to disable EWS which will run you a pretty penny also.

It would probably be most cost effective to buy a complete (maybe even non-running) m50 and just strip the parts you need off of it, then sell the rest of the engine to a junk yard to make a few bucks back. You can get a cruddy one for like $4-500 easy.
    Yeah, I really wanted to get a donor, but I didn't have the room. Next time for sure.

My Cars
    E30S50 & E30 M3& 08 F350 Harley Davidson edition
    if we wanted a FORD Mustake engine then we'd go buy one. Or just buy a whole entire FORD Rustang.

to the OP- just source used parts and think it through. it can be done by YOU for a reasonable price.
    I say think it through so you dont end up spending needless money on things you dont need.
    OBDI change over can be done for about ~$900 but it will save you some heart ache.
    I'm in the process of swapping a Supercharged 2004 330CI engine into an early style car for a friend.
    Last edited by matty21; 01-14-2007 at 06:49 PM.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    haha! Are you kidding? My warmed over 318is has better than V6 mustang performance.

My Cars
    90 E30 M3 S50
    you're an idiot.

My Cars
    You keep missing the point. He wants to pay someone to do this for him. It is simply not worth it. Him-pay someone else-big bucks. Have I ever done it, no. Could I, yes. Would I pay someone else to do it, not worth it.

My Cars
    And no I am not a "jerk" or an "idiot". Just trying to pass along some of my 40 years in the business. Yes, I have a great deal of experience at this sort of thing...Why jump to rash conclusions and resort to name calling. So much for the free flow of ideas... If the guy wants to spend that much money paying someone to do this swap, good for him. knock yourself out. My point about the mustang was lost. You are installing a 190hp engine. Not enough to justify the expense of paying someone else, IMHO. Yes I have one of those also. Nice car.

My Cars
    1 Cruiser, 1 boat
    And no I am not a "jerk" or an "idiot". Just trying to pass along some of my 40 years in the business. Yes, I have a great deal of experience at this sort of thing...Why jump to rash conclusions and resort to name calling. So much for the free flow of ideas... If the guy wants to spend that much money paying someone to do this swap, good for him. knock yourself out. My point about the mustang was lost. You are installing a 190hp engine. Not enough to justify the expense of paying someone else, IMHO. Yes I have one of those also. Nice car.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...41&postcount=1

Looks like you are a noob to these cars to me... Said it your self..

My Cars
    01 330i, Ducati SF1098
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpressive View Post
    Although, I went with OBD1 ECU and custom chip, not MS. I will go that route when I do my next swap though.
    im not running MS either. i dont see a point in running something that extensive if im not running FI. anyways ill post pics soon as my swap is starting this weekend.

My Cars
    1 Cruiser, 1 boat
    Quote Originally Posted by smonkbmw View Post
    im not running MS either. i dont see a point in running something that extensive if im not running FI. anyways ill post pics soon as my swap is starting this weekend.
    Ahh, I should have clarified. My next swap will be FI. Been planning it for a while now.. I have been itching to go FI on a swap after seeing some e30 swap FI examples around here.. Badass.

Can't wait to see the pics.. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast