Thread: ABS Light comes on sometimes

My Cars
    e36 328is

ABS Light comes on sometimes

As the title says, I'm getting ABS light, but not from the startup of the car. It seems to come on after a couple stops. From what I see, it never happens when the brake pedal is pressed. Either it comes on when I lift the brake pedal, or a couple hundred feet after a stop.

Quick diagnostic:
    - When the light is not on, the ABS does work.
    - When the light is on, the wheels can lock up (tested).
    So I believe the pump works correctly. Now then, sensor(s) or relay? I guess start with relay and pray the light doesn't come on anymore?

My Cars
    E36 M3 3.2 EVO
    +1 for sensors. You need to check them all.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318is
    depends on how good you are at finding electric gremlins. i'de take it to your local indi. auto repair and have them troubleshoot it.

one thing i don't screw around with is brakes, regular maint. is fine, but if something is not working right, if i fix it wrong it could mean my life....
    "Before you can think outside the box, you have to know whats in it"

-Matthew

M42 Club Member #126

My Cars
    2003 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetblack95 View Post
    depends on how good you are at finding electric gremlins. i'de take it to your local indi. auto repair and have them troubleshoot it.

one thing i don't screw around with is brakes, regular maint. is fine, but if something is not working right, if i fix it wrong it could mean my life....
    +1 get it scanned and then see if it's something you can do yourself.

Mods: Shark Injector, Sprint Booster, AFE Intake Scoop, AFE Intake Elbow, K&N pannel Filter, Eibach PRO-PLUS, PRO-KIT Springs & ANTI-ROLL-KIT Sway Bars, Bilstien HD Shocks and Struts, Powerflex RTAB, UUC Stanless Steel Break lines, UUC Shock mount Kit, Drilled and Slotted Front & Rear Breaks, *LED Angel Eyes, HID Driving Light, Front and Side Blackout grills, Smoked Side turn signals, LED Side Turn Signals, Painted Front Reflectors, Interior LED Lights, VMR VB3 18" staggered CLS Style Wheels,

My Cars
    e36 328is
    Ok I'll change the relay and if that doesn't fix it, I'll get it fix at the BMW mechanic round here. It brakes fine without ABS, but I want to get that fixed. I already have a license plate light out, so my car can be happy

It's a 94, so OBD I. Can it tell a scanner what that kind of problem is?

My Cars
    2003 M3
    You will need to get a Scan for a BMW Mech or Indep BMW Shop. I had an ABS error of "132 Uspecfied error" and it turned out to be the Pedel switch on the master cylinder. The person who scanned it had no clue and a memeber on this forum gave me the answer.

Depending on your repair skill level, it may be cheaper then having the BMW shop do the repair.

Mods: Shark Injector, Sprint Booster, AFE Intake Scoop, AFE Intake Elbow, K&N pannel Filter, Eibach PRO-PLUS, PRO-KIT Springs & ANTI-ROLL-KIT Sway Bars, Bilstien HD Shocks and Struts, Powerflex RTAB, UUC Stanless Steel Break lines, UUC Shock mount Kit, Drilled and Slotted Front & Rear Breaks, *LED Angel Eyes, HID Driving Light, Front and Side Blackout grills, Smoked Side turn signals, LED Side Turn Signals, Painted Front Reflectors, Interior LED Lights, VMR VB3 18" staggered CLS Style Wheels,