Thread: Bav Auto High Performance ignition coils

My Cars
    1995 325i

Bav Auto High Performance ignition coils

I was thinking of purchasing Bav Auto High Performance ignition coils for my 1995 325i. I was just wondering what everyone thinks of them. The car has a DINAN performance chip and a DINAN cold air intake now. (if that matters!) Thanks!

My Cars
    E28, 97' M3/4
    Save your money. I don't think there better if anything over the stock ones. Is there anything wrong with the current ones?

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the current coils. Can you replace the spark plug boot with out replacing the coil pack? The car has 109,000 miles and I was told I would need to replace the boots after 100,000 miles.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    I've had those in my car for over a year now, can't really say I felt a huge improvement but there was a slight/semi-noticeable improvement. I just changed my coils out as a preventive maintenance @about 115K miles. My car has the coils, iridium plugs, chip, exhaust, cai, BBthrottle body, fan delete, and a few other things I can't remember. They are a less expensive replacement to stock coils though. I think they raised the price on the coils since I got them.

My Cars
    '92 E36 & '05 E46 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas3314 View Post
    I've had those in my car for over a year now, can't really say I felt a huge improvement but there was a slight/semi-noticeable improvement. I just changed my coils out as a preventive maintenance @about 115K miles. My car has the coils, iridium plugs, chip, exhaust, cai, BBthrottle body, fan delete, and a few other things I can't remember. They are a less expensive replacement to stock coils though. I think they raised the price on the coils since I got them.
    So tomas, I'm very curious about your mods and how they've improved your performance. My '92 now has 127K. It has a very slight, intermittent miss that I'm interested in eliminating. I was told a year ago when a shop changed out my plugs that there was a crack in one of the boots. I guess that could cause the audible miss, but there's no performance issue.
    What chip and cai did you use?

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Quote Originally Posted by troywesley View Post
    Can you replace the spark plug boot with out replacing the coil pack?
    Yes you can.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Phox View Post
    Save your money. I don't think there better if anything over the stock ones. Is there anything wrong with the current ones?
    Save your money? They're cheaper than stock coils+boots!

Bavauto = $275
    Bimmerworld = $48x6 = $288
    Bimmerzone = $51x6 = $306
    Pelican Parts = ($40.50+$7)x6 = $285

Hmmm....
    Current mods: Euro clears, Strömung exhaust, Cosmos Racing Intake, sound system, X-brace, DEPO Projector36 Headlights w/ DDE, Prolumen HID 6000K, M3 front bumper, M3 rear diffuser, paint matched sideskirts and rear bumper, TMS chip, UUC tranny mounts w/ enforcers, Bilstein PSS Suspension.

My Cars
    m3 f350
    Yea, great point Blufire. I am ordering these today, hopefully to fix my hesitation issues. I searched around and because these come with the boots they are cheaper than anywhere else. And free shipping!

My Cars
    E39 M5
    I got mine for 247 shipped... they're on sale last time I checked

I haven't installed them yet but I plan to as soon as the weather is nice and I actually drive my E36

My Cars
    m3 f350
    BavAuto's coils were on sale?

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    Boots can be had for your car at around 6 bucks each so replace them. I did and my car has way few miles then yours and frankly mine were fine. My car had a coil failure so replacing a coil is not a waste of time...

My Cars
    m3 f350
    I ordered these BavAuto coils today, hopefully they are the Jam and fix my stutter.

My Cars
    '92 E36 & '05 E46 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
    Boots can be had for your car at around 6 bucks each so replace them. I did and my car has way few miles then yours and frankly mine were fine. My car had a coil failure so replacing a coil is not a waste of time...
    Did you get your boots from Bav Auto? I don't remember seeing them in the catalog.

My Cars
    1995 325i
    Thanks, I think I will try them.

My Cars
    2017 M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddyoh View Post
    So tomas, I'm very curious about your mods and how they've improved your performance. My '92 now has 127K. It has a very slight, intermittent miss that I'm interested in eliminating. I was told a year ago when a shop changed out my plugs that there was a crack in one of the boots. I guess that could cause the audible miss, but there's no performance issue.
    What chip and cai did you use?
    Active Autowerkes chip and VAC motorsports intake. Yeah it should help with overall general performance (coils) and mpg. Justifies the purchase in opinion and knowing I don't need to repalce them for another couple years.

My Cars
    328i
    Why are you replacing the packs and not just the boots?

If you are having idle/hesitation problems then I would replace the boots before doing the packs. A cracked or worn out boot can cause the electricity in the cylinder to be low or acutally jump from the boot to the head without it ever getting to the plug.

There is an easy way to check and see if the packs are bad. Pull each pack and check the resistance on the 2 outer most pins. If it falls between .4 - .8 ohms then the pack is good. If any one of them is outside of that range then I would replace them all. Since they all wear at the same rate, if one is gone the rest are probably not too far behind.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by alsteel View Post
    Why are you replacing the packs and not just the boots?
    The bavauto coils come with boots.
    Current mods: Euro clears, Strömung exhaust, Cosmos Racing Intake, sound system, X-brace, DEPO Projector36 Headlights w/ DDE, Prolumen HID 6000K, M3 front bumper, M3 rear diffuser, paint matched sideskirts and rear bumper, TMS chip, UUC tranny mounts w/ enforcers, Bilstein PSS Suspension.