Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn tow truck company ripped out my rear control arm! GRrr!

My Cars
    Yamaha R6, Avus E36, MBZ C230

Angry Damn tow truck company ripped out my rear control arm! GRrr!

So i'm driving near my house early december and I hear a "pop", I suddenly start feeling my car not accelerate as good so I pull over. I notice smoke coming out from the front of my car. I pop the hood and notice my top radiator hose hanging off the side. I proceed to call AAA and they send a tow truck guy from this one tow truck company called Keystone. The guy begins to lift my car up the flat bed and his cable breaks!! my car starts to roll backwards off the ramp and starts rolling down the street luckily it comes to a stop on its own. I take a look at the damage and my front grill mesh is broken in pieces along with my auxillary fan blades. The guy begins to tell me how this has never happend and that the company insurance will cover it. Another tow truck shows up and they mount my car and take it to my house. I have them put my car in the garage where its been sitting for about 3 weeks, the tow truck company comes and takes a look at it and tell me their going to replace the grill and the fan and I was fine with that (I still havent gone to get the parts replaced since i've been busy) about a week ago when I finally got around to redoing my whole cooling system I take my car out for a drive and notice a loud clacking sound here and there on my rear passenger side, so I decide not to drive it till I get some time to investigate... today while doing some maintanance I take off my rear wheel and this is what I find......

A pic of my car being dropped off that day....

Anyone know if this is going to be an easy weld job? anyone ever done this? what am I looking at as far as costs just incase the tow company wont pay for this? I'm going to talk with them tomorrow and see what they say.

-phill F.- 10/95 Avus E36

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Ouch... I'd let them buy the whole car for damage like that. Unrepairable to me.

I don't see any tool marks where they might have tied the car down or pulled on it by the trailing arm, are there any? Without such marks you are likely not going to be able to prove much.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    I didnt notice any marks but I know they use chains and straps... I forshure know it happend that day because my car did not make that sound before I had it towed and I had been driving it all day.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    You don't need to convince me, its them I'd be worried about. Seriously though.. have a look for tool marks.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Ouch... I'd let them buy the whole car for damage like that. Unrepairable to me.

I don't see any tool marks where they might have tied the car down or pulled on it by the trailing arm, are there any? Without such marks you are likely not going to be able to prove much.
    Dude, a scratch is unrepairable to you.

BTW, rear control arms are designed to bend.. that would've been preferrable to this. They've torn your rear trailing arm out of the chassis.. It will take some hardcore and professional metalwork to get that mounted back up... but "buy the whole car"... good luck. You will have your work cut out for you to get them to pay for that, I really wonder how the hell that happened.

1997 M3 (SOLD) :o 2000 528i Sport (SOLD)

My Cars
    98 M3
    you can weld it back in. Contact Edge Motorwerks.
    Sean

My Cars
    Maybe I should contact AAA and file a claim with them.

Isnt edge motorwerks in northern california? thats a little far for me.

My Cars
    5/94 Euro 325i coupe
    E36s are untowable to me Not because it can't be done but because it's hard to find someone that will do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by ClintonM3 View Post
    the Audi A4 is a tweaked, cosmetically enhanced, cross platform, put-together overnight VW.
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuser528e View Post
    Staggard setups are for cars that you park at show meets. They go well with 5 screens and 3 12"s.

My Cars
    98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyB///M3 View Post
    Maybe I should contact AAA and file a claim with them.

Isnt edge motorwerks in northern california? thats a little far for me.
    try evosport then.
    Sean

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5
    Wow that REALLY sucks. Good luck! This convinced me that I'm NOT crazy that I rented a full trailer to tow my e34 home when it broke down!

My Cars
    04 SilberGrau M3
    That is pretty bad, good luck with that. Hope they atleast pay for the repair
    Sell me your E46 M3! PM me if it's 6 speed in Jet Black, Alpine or SilverGrey

My Cars
    '90 Ford Tempo
    If you don't find witness marks left by the hooks or the straps on the trailing arm, then I'm confident that the tow company did not cause the damage to the trailing arm. It coincidentally has fatigued the unibody at the time of your other misfortunes.

you need to look closer at the seam where the separation occured. Look for corrosion and abrasion of the two separated seams.. it does not look like an abrupt tear from what I can see.

It looks like The arm has been progressively working the sheet metal to fatigue ( like the breaking paper clip example).

On the subject of front end damage.
    You need to find someone intimately familiar with the front crash structure of the car to look at the fascia as I'll wager there is more damage at the front than what you have noticed....The tow company insurance foots this bill so if you can make 'em pay, pay for using dangerous poorly maintained equipment, then they will be more careful with other jobs, and will avoid e36 maybe even BMWs to avoid the pain of incompetence.

Shame they were not more able.

m

My Cars
    98 M3
    this usually happens to cars with really bad rtabs or spherical rtabs. The threaded pockets aren't seam welded in, rather just spot weld. Most track cars have each pocket fully welded to the unibody.

Its not a huge deal, i've seen it before and seen it repaired.
    Sean

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Definitely looks like he tied it down to the RTA. In fact, it looks like the chain went across the M to me.

I had my car towed when the water pump exploded and the guy had a hard-on for trying to tie the car down on both the rear control arms and RTA. He kept giving me the "I know what I'm doing" line, even though I told him about 5 times not to tie down to the suspension arms. I told him how much a new RTA/upright costs from BMW and he finally listened to me and tied the car down with the chassis holes which I had already exposed by taking out my jack pads.

When getting your car towed, supervise where they tie the car down. The easiest place is the suspension arms, but obviously this causes some "problems."

My Cars
    EuroSpec ///M3 286Hp
    Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    E36s are untowable to me Not because it can't be done but because it's hard to find someone that will do it right.
    Ive never been towed before, but isnt the "towing tool" on the trunk toolbox ment for that ? shouldnt the e36 be towed or pulled on the flatbed using that thing ?