Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need help fast, car won't start, EWS2 bypass question?

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer213 View Post
    So let me get specific. the key sends the signal to the ews, the ews turns on the starter, then the ews sends a signal to the ecu, and the ecu turns on the fuel injection. So there is no relay either between the ecu and the fuel injection, or from the ews to the ecu that can be by-passed? From what I think you're saying, is that the ecu itself is pretty much the relay for that??

The reason I don't understand why it can't be by-passed is because in the schematics it shows that their are relays between them, where from my understanding it can be done.

Here's the thing I see though, one way or the other, i'm gonna have to take it to the dealer because even if somehow I can by-pass it, i'm gonna have to plug and un-plug the fuel injection every time I start the car, and that's not happening. So I guess at this point i just want to get educated. Maybe I can save money on the tow truck by driving it to the dealer and then putting it back to normal?? lol
    You can wire a simple toggle switch between the jumpers (bypass wires). I say more power to you if you can figure out how to do it.

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    So let me get specific. the key sends the signal to the ews, the ews turns on the starter, then the ews sends a signal to the ecu, and the ecu turns on the fuel injection. So there is no relay either between the ecu and the fuel injection, or from the ews to the ecu that can be by-passed? From what I think you're saying, is that the ecu itself is pretty much the relay for that??
    Thats kinda right. The Key sends a signal to the EWS saying "Im a valid key". The EWS will "close the circuit" and allow battery power to the starter. like I said, that is probably what you bypassed already. As far as I know there is no external relay that powers the DME. It is internal of the DME. There is probably an external relay that does provide power to the DME, but the internal relay of the DME must be closed in order for the DME to power itself up. The EWS sends a coded signal to the DME, when the DME accepts this signal, the DME will close the relay (the internal relay) and power itself up. Like I said, good luck trying to find that relay.

The reason I don't understand why it can't be by-passed is because in the schematics it shows that their are relays between them, where from my understanding it can be done.
    Its possible the relays are internal to the DME. I dont know, I would have to look it up. Even if you are able to provide power to the DME, it still wont power up because the coded signal from the EWS is gone. Remember you said you disconnected the EWS? You basically reset the EWS. That coded signal tells the DME to power up. YOU CANNOT DUBLICATE OR FAKE this signal.

Here's the thing I see though, one way or the other, i'm gonna have to take it to the dealer because even if somehow I can by-pass it, i'm gonna have to plug and un-plug the fuel injection every time I start the car, and that's not happening. So I guess at this point i just want to get educated. Maybe I can save money on the tow truck by driving it to the dealer and then putting it back to normal?? lol
    NO, the car WILL NOT START. Just because you might get "fuel injection" what about spark? What about other engine sensors that need power from the DME? One way or another you WILL have to tow it to the dealer. there is pretty much no way you can get it running from your garage. The DME and EWS need to be realigned. Not "reprogrammed". Only a dealer can do this.

Just return the wiring to how it was originally and tow it to the dealer. Tell them exactly what you did, and ask them if they can realign the DME and EWS. Hopefully the car will start and they will only charge you 1 hour.

I've heard of an EWS "delete" kit or something. But I dont know if it works with OBD II cars. I dont even know if it works at all.

Hope this helped, gotta get back to work now...

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
    You going to be there tonight? I can show my keyless push button start.

You're running Tec3 right? or another stand alone?

If so, you eliminated the OEM DME. You removed the EWS/DME relationship. You can start your car anyway you want, as long as you remove that relationship.

EWS was invented to prevent auto theft, for example you cant just plug in a non EWS DME into the harness and fire up the car.

But ya I'll be there tonight, see you there.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    Harleys and a Tesla
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdrivesm3 View Post
    You're running Tec3 right? or another stand alone?

If so, you eliminated the OEM DME. You removed the EWS/DME relationship. You can start your car anyway you want, as long as you remove that relationship.

EWS was invented to prevent auto theft, for example you cant just plug in a non EWS DME into the harness and fire up the car.

But ya I'll be there tonight, see you there.
    That's true, I totally forgot about that. I've been running it though since just a few months after I bought it.

See you tonight.

My Cars
    1992 bmw 316i
    let me see if i have understood this, you can not disconnect your ews module? i am about to switch over to a new dme&ews system from another car.

if it is true that your ews module resets when you disconnect it from loss of power, why can you disconnect your battery? is it only when the car is running and you disconnect it it resets?

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    First, this thread is 4 years old.

Second, this is THE worst thread I have ever seen. So much misinformation on the EWS it's not even funny.

EWS modules are hard-coded. You can't change the code in the EWS module. You also need the matching key- can't change the codes in the key.

The DME gets aligned with a specific EWS system. Which system it is aligned with can be changed with dealer software.

If you disconnect the battery, this does not reset. I've had people mail me a DME with matching EWS and key, and have started my car with these components installed.

So if you get the EWS, DME, and key transponder all from the same car, then your car will start.

You'll need to either transfer key transponders so your key has the right chip in it, or re-key your ignition so your new key will turn it, though.

My Cars
    Cosmos Coupe
    This may help clear the air a little.....

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/images/BMW_EWS.pdf

My Cars
    1992 bmw 316i
    kevinwilly: thanks for clarifying that.
    wrxeatr: i have read that twice but thanks anyway.

it seems like there is an urban legend of the possibility of bypassing ews by wires, but eventually everybody realizes it just bull.

i do feel sorry for the people that try this and @#$% their car.

the reason i dig up this thread is that it seems like many people believe you can reset your ews by power surges or low voltage/0 voltage, and i needed some facts.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 03-03-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    There ARE ways to bypass the EWS.... but it's not as simple as just clipping a wire.

But yeah- i suppose you could fry the module if you had a blown fuse or something... but under normal circumstances having no power will not hurt anything. I had my car parked for 4 months last winter with the battery out. Fired right up when I picked it up.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328is
    so how do i go about testing the ews inmy 98 328is, my car came with the push button start and two flip switches, and i get no power at all when i flip the position one switch, and then just some dash lights like check engine, abs and some other ones when i flip the position 2 switch, climate control works but no radio or windows, harzards and headlights work, no stop lights i think, all fuses are good

My Cars
    2x 97 M3/4, 05 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by cocainebaby View Post
    so how do i go about testing the ews inmy 98 328is, my car came with the push button start and two flip switches, and i get no power at all when i flip the position one switch, and then just some dash lights like check engine, abs and some other ones when i flip the position 2 switch, climate control works but no radio or windows, harzards and headlights work, no stop lights i think, all fuses are good

This is now a 10 year old thread. I'd recommend starting a new one if you need help. But also don't post it in this section because this is the e36 m3 forum and that's not the car you are asking about. Also, a 98 328is never came with a pushbutton start that I'm aware of, so someone must have installed it. There's absolutely no way for me to help you without looking at it in person.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12