Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic Pro w/ Bluetooth Cell Phone Kit

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M

Traffic Pro w/ Bluetooth Cell Phone Kit

I also added a few other stuff...V1 hardwired, Ipod kit, Leather Z armrest and glove box fix. These are the basic parts that I used.

Motorola IHF1000
    61 13 1 378 116 X400 Connector http://www.mz3.net/articles/109.html
    61 13 0 007 452 Pins for the connector
    Cell phone harness from Becker or you can just get the pins if you already have an aux harness.

It’s a great quality phone kit with a lot of features. A few people didn't even know they were on speaker phone. I haven't tried it with the top down but I think it'll still work fine. Since the kit works with the radio, you can always raise the volume.
    Using BMW's harness allows the setup to be fully reversible.

I installed the brain of the unit in a little slot above the passenger side speaker. It’s held in place by industrial strength Velcro.

I ran the wires behind the radio and by the shifter. I wrapped the wires with cloth tape to keep them in place and eliminate rattling.

The x400 connector was found under foam by the handbrake. I labeled the wires...you'll find a constant 12v, switched 12v, ground and telephone mute.

I tapped into phone kit's harness for power for my ipod kit.

I installed the unit here. (Wrapped in cloth tape) The Ipod car kit works great. It'll charge your ipod while playing and for 20 min after you shut off you car so it won't drain your battery. There is no background noise that you hear with some kits. You can raise or reduce the signal going into the radio. (It amplifies the sound but not by that much)

The phone kit comes with a speaker but also has wires so you can put it into your phone capable radio. I solder the wires to the pins supplied by Becker.

Removed the screw here to allow some space to run the wire through for the control unit. It's being held by double sided tape.

I mounted the mic here by the visor.

Mounted the V1 here and ran the wire along with the wire for the mic around the pillar down to the glove box area.

I put these little sticky "bumpers" that I got from home depot to hold my ipod in place. I cut a hole in the armrest and ran the ipod wire through it.

Last edited by Z-Thrizzle; 09-30-2008 at 04:42 PM.
    -Phil

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Cool install. How does the iPod kit interface with the radio?

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    Cool install. How does the iPod kit interface with the radio?
    Its hooked up to the aux of the radio that I believe is also used if you have a cd changer. The kit just sends out the audio signal, no text or anything. They do sell another kit for the BMW that allows you to use the cd changer controls of the radio to control the Ipod.
    They didn't have that model when I got the kit and I didn't want to miss out on my friends discount who was leaving Best Buy, so I got the universal one.
    -Phil

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Nice write-up. I might try the bluetooth phone kit with my traffic pro. Any more insights, details on the install, experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I'd be interested to hear how well the non-universal unit works. With all the recent reports of the Dice units being flaky, I'd much rather have an iPod interface that isn't going to frustrate me daily.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by robrez View Post
    Nice write-up. I might try the bluetooth phone kit with my traffic pro. Any more insights, details on the install, experiences are appreciated. Thanks.
    I like how you can change the language and voice on the car kit. So now have have the same voice coming from the car kit and the traffic pro...English lady

The install is really not that bad but then again I did have help from someone who did the installed in their coupe. The nice thing about having a coupe is that there is already a place to put the mic.

I got the phone kit from another member but you can find it for a good price on ebay. I was recommended to get the 1000 version...it has a lot of features and think noise reduction.
    -Phil

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinci View Post
    I'd be interested to hear how well the non-universal unit works. With all the recent reports of the Dice units being flaky, I'd much rather have an iPod interface that isn't going to frustrate me daily.
    From my understanding the kit for the BMW was pretty basic and would allow you to change or fast foward songs using you radio. Not sure if it does, but it'll be really cool if it would treat your playlist like a cd changer and you could go through them.
    -Phil

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    61 13 1 378 116 X400 Connector
    61 13 0 007 452 Pins for the connector
    Is this the connector that would plug right up to the one already in the car?

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    M coupe, Titan, Focus SE
    The nice thing about having a coupe is that there is already a place to put the mic.
    Would anyone happen to know where this spot is within the coupe interior?
    Correrai ancor più veloce per le vie del cielo...

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by felonious monk View Post
    Is this the connector that would plug right up to the one already in the car?
    Yup, so once you solder the pin wires to the phone kit wires, it becomes plug n play
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivola View Post
    Would anyone happen to know where this spot is within the coupe interior?
    There's a little plastic grill cover next to the map light area.
    -Phil

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Yup, so once you solder the pin wires to the phone kit wires, it becomes plug n play
    SWEET! I've been looking for that. Doesn't show on realoem.com. Thanks!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Thats really trick, I am definitely going to bookmark this thread and harrass you when I install the bluetooth phone kit in my car!
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MMpire View Post
    Thats really trick, I am definitely going to bookmark this thread and harrass you when I install the bluetooth phone kit in my car!
    Haha no problem because I definitely harassed the guy who did the install on his coupe.
    -Phil

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z-4 2.5i
    Could you have wired the Valentine to the map light switch? Or did you go ahead and run it the long way since you had to run the mic cable anyway?

I need to run a hard wire for my Valentine and would like to just go to the map light if possible.

Thanks,

Bill

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigtime View Post
    Could you have wired the Valentine to the map light switch? Or did you go ahead and run it the long way since you had to run the mic cable anyway?

I need to run a hard wire for my Valentine and would like to just go to the map light if possible.

Thanks,

Bill
    I was able to access the wire for the actual light but had a hard time getting to the wires going to the light switch itself. It would be really easy if you're able to take the whole plastic top off and have access to everything.

I ended up running the wire down to the glove box area and tapping into the alarm wire harness for power. I believe the 2nd pin is 12v switched. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=650057
    -Phil

My Cars
    2K Z3, 997 911S
    looks like a very nice setup, but for me i don't mind holding my cell phone. After years of practise i can shift/talk/steer at the same time

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by MBENZF1 View Post
    looks like a very nice setup, but for me i don't mind holding my cell phone. After years of practise i can shift/talk/steer at the same time
    I've gotten pretty good too...I can even hold the phone between my shoulder and ear and drive at the same time. However, you never know when the time will come and you'll need both hands for a quick reaction.

Kinda embarrassed to admit but I got one of those tickets for driving without a hands free device.
    -Phil

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    A little off topic but I remember a study that was done testing peoples concentration/reaction while driving while using a hands-free and handheld phone. The studied showed that using either device reduced your concentration. Neither device worked better than the other.
    -Phil

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    There's a little plastic grill cover next to the map light area.
    Phil this is not exactly true. The grill in my car that you mentioned is a European BMW accessory available for the MC for a phone kit they never offered. Will have to look up the p/n but it's in Stygar's phone kit install thread on another forum. I don't have any pictures of my install on this PC but will dig up some later. It involvez cutting the headliner but all the incisions are covered by the mic holder / sunroof switch housing.

I've had the Motorola IHF-1000 (with my Razr) and Navone Engineering iPod kit installed in my car for over a year now and it works flawslessly. The phone kit lacks a charging port (not a big deal) and doesn't use the car's built-in mobile phone signal booster (Coupe-only IIRC). Still, it works as well in practice as my previous two Motorola phones (v60 and v710). For those two previous phones, I used a different Moto kit which utilized the booster and had a docking station to charge the handset.

The IFH-1000 is vastly superior to any other kit I've seen. As Phil mentioned, it does have noise cancelling technology but, in addition, has caller ID, voice dialing, its own phone book along with many other things I can't remember. When I did my install, I removed the centre console, glove box, drivers side lower dash and passenger side kick panel. Laying out wires was easier this way and I used the x400 connector already in place in the car to make it 100% reversible.

As a side note, Phil, I'm no longer on a project that requires travel which means I'm available on weekends if you want to complete the other projects we discussed. Any of you Roadster/Coupe owners who want to see how these devices work are welcome to tag along.
    '01 M-Coupe

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpina22 View Post
    Phil this is not exactly true. The grill in my car that you mentioned is a European BMW accessory available for the MC for a phone kit they never offered. Will have to look up the p/n but it's in Stygar's phone kit install thread on another forum. I don't have any pictures of my install on this PC but will dig up some later. It involvez cutting the headliner but all the incisions are covered by the mic holder / sunroof switch housing.

I've had the Motorola IHF-1000 (with my Razr) and Navone Engineering iPod kit installed in my car for over a year now and it works flawslessly. The phone kit lacks a charging port (not a big deal) and doesn't use the car's built-in mobile phone signal booster (Coupe-only IIRC). Still, it works as well in practice as my previous two Motorola phones (v60 and v710). For those two previous phones, I used a different Moto kit which utilized the booster and had a docking station to charge the handset.

The IFH-1000 is vastly superior to any other kit I've seen. As Phil mentioned, it does have noise cancelling technology but, in addition, has caller ID, voice dialing, its own phone book along with many other things I can't remember. When I did my install, I removed the centre console, glove box, drivers side lower dash and passenger side kick panel. Laying out wires was easier this way and I used the x400 connector already in place in the car to make it 100% reversible.

As a side note, Phil, I'm no longer on a project that requires travel which means I'm available on weekends if you want to complete the other projects we discussed. Any of you Roadster/Coupe owners who want to see how these devices work are welcome to tag along.
    Thanks for clearing that up. The Euro Bimmers always get better stuff than we do
    I'm installing an M50 manifold this Sat. Let me now if you can do Sunday.
    -Phil

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    No call is important enough to risk your life or that of others. Voicemail is there for a reason. No matter how good you are, you still can't react to unexpected situations as quickly with both hands free and your undivided attention.

My Cars
    2K Z3, 997 911S
    I've gotten pretty good too...I can even hold the phone between my shoulder and ear and drive at the same time. However, you never know when the time will come and you'll need both hands for a quick reaction.

Kinda embarrassed to admit but I got one of those tickets for driving without a hands free device.
    Well thats New York for you, I would be pissed if i got a ticket like that.

My Cars
    Dog Mover
    Nice write up Phil.

Glad you are back home A!
    Things you might like to buy:
    Lots of Z3 stuff!

My Cars
    '01 M Coupe - Rover
    Couple questions on this install. When you say "cell phone harness from becker" what is his harness for?

The brain that you show mounted above the passenger speaker, is this the brain for the phone unit, or the ipod unit?

Do all HU have the connection for phone so you can use the car speakers? I'm looking for an '01 m coupe.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    The cell phone harness is an optional item to enable this install. Minmial cost. Facilitates the "plug 'n play" part the process. It's how you get audio (callers voice) from the car speakers. The same harness also allows you to add an aux input such as your iPod.
    http://www.beckerautosound.com/parts...rt_number.html
    p/n: BAS - 1319 - 116

The device velcro-mounted above the passenger side kick panel speaker is the "brain" for the IHF-1000.

The only other update since I did my install is to replace the iPod interface with a Peripheral Electronics unit. Subsequently installed in a few other cars since I did mine (Phil and Jen included). That's a separate topic in itself. PM me if you want me to walk you through the details of the BT and iPod. BTW, mine is also a '01 MC. We can talk by phone if you like.

While earlier in this thread I mentioned that the Moto kit is the best, to be honest, Parrot makes what is truly the best kit on the market. They recently made an iPod-ready HU, the Parrot RKi8400 which, for those w/o a TP, may want to consider:
    http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/for-ipod-and-iphone
    Last edited by Alpina22; 12-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
    '01 M-Coupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast