Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: BMW E46 key fob reprogramming

My Cars
    BMW 3.20i, E46 2002

DIY: BMW E46 key fob reprogramming

BMW

X5, E46 & E39 Diamond Shaped Key
    To do this procedure you need to have one working key and one key that needs to be programmed.
    1. with the both keys, get in the car and close all windows and doors.
    2. Put working key into the ignition and turn to position 1 (the accessories should turn on)
    3. turn the key back to position 0 and take key out of the ignition.
    4. ********><!--D(["mb","Using the \nworking key, hold down the unlock button, press the Roundel (lock button) 3 \ntimes, and release the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock.
    \n5.***** \nWith the \nnew key, hold down the unlock button and press the Roundel (lock button) 3 times \nand let go of the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock and you're \ndone!!
    \nAlternate procedure if above doesn't work or if you do not have a working \nremote:

1. turn key to position 1 five times very quickly
    2. remove \nkey
    3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock \nbutton.
    4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 \nseconds
    5 turn on ignition to finalize
    \n*
    \nOlder 3 Button Key
    \nRemote Key Re-Initialise - If a key \nfails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in \nsequence at the same time)

1. Get in and “close all doors”
    2. Turn \nignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. \nNext action must take place within 30 seconds
    3. First key - hold down \nbutton #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button \n#2. Confirmed by door lock operation.
    4. If you have more than 1 key then \nyou need to repeat for the other keys within 30 seconds of first or they will be \nrendered inactive. ",1]);//--></SCRIPT>Using the working key, hold down the unlock button, press the Roundel (lock button) 3 times, and release the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock.
    5. With the new key, hold down the unlock button and press the Roundel (lock button) 3 times and let go of the unlock button. Doors should lock and unlock and you're done!!
    Alternate procedure if above doesn't work or if you do not have a working remote:

1. turn key to position 1 five times very quickly
    2. remove key
    3. Hold unlock button then press lock button 3 times, release unlock button.
    4. If you have another key do the same button pressing within 30 seconds
    5 turn on ignition to finalize

Older 3 Button Key
    Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

1. Get in and “close all doors”
    2. Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds
    3. First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.
    4. If you have more than 1 key then you need to repeat for the other keys within 30 seconds of first or they will be rendered inactive.********><!--D(["mb","
    5. After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to \nfinalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should \nnow have new &quot;randomly selected&quot; security &quot;code words&quot; - asigned by the car's \nsystem.
    Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence \neach time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car \nthat they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this \nagain.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the \nbattery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range \nof the car.
    \n*
    \n*
    </div>\n<blockquote style\u003d\"padding-right:0px;padding-left:5px;margin-left:5px;border-left:#000000 2px solid;margin-right:0px\">\n ----- Original Message -----
    \n From: \n Mrlinas@gmail.com
    \n To: Stuart Waue
    \n Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2006 7:30 \n PM
    \n Subject: Item no.330066423536 - \n Notification of an Instant Payment Received from linelissrs (Mrlinas@gmail.com)
    \n

\n \n\n <table cellspacing\u003d\"0\" cellpadding\u003d\"0\" width\u003d\"600\" align\u003d\"center\" border\u003d\"0\">",1]);//--></SCRIPT>
    5. After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

Both keys should now have new "randomly selected" security "code words" - asigned by the car's system.
    Those codes will be continuously incremented within the new sequence each time you hit a button. It is when they get out of sequence with the car that they loose the capability to be recognised and you then have to do this again.

That occurs when you take longer than 1 minute changing the battery, or if you hit buttons more often the 1000 times when it is out of range of the car.</SPAN>
    Sory if I am kiling someones buisness, but After I have reprogramed 2 keys the car would not start it is just ticking like ignition is blocked electronicaly, even though both keys work properly -
    If anyone knows what to do, then Please save the world!!!
    the car is 52 plate (E46 2002year) BMW 3.20i 2.2se engine. thanks!
    Last edited by WoLF; 04-11-2012 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325xi
    Awesome. Second procedure totally worked.

Ya just saved me some cash.

My Cars
    BMW 323ci
    I need Help,

I have a 323CI 2000 and I cant program the key I bought off ebay. I have made someone to cut the key already for me but I cant get it programmed.

I have done the

sit in the car, close all doors,
    put the key into ignation to postion 2 then take the key out.
    Hold the unlock button, then press the lock button three times
    nothing happens the doors dont lock.

Could someone reply fast I need to go to work and I dont have a car.

My Cars
    BMW 323ci
    can anyone help me on how to program my key

My Cars
    e46 328i, '03 2.5 Nissan Altima
    Quote Originally Posted by reen3 View Post
    can anyone help me on how to program my key
    sorry about that buddy! you can't program your key if you don't have the chip in your new key. the reason you have to put the key in the ignition and then take it out to program the lock/unlock feature and only can do in a certain amount of time is the car has to read the chip in the key so that nobody else could just come up to your car and program their key to work for it.
    look inside your old key. take the chip out and figure out a way to integrate it in your new one.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    To clarify: You can program your eBay key to lock/unlock the doors, but not to start the engine.

My Cars
    bmw e46 318i
    can you please inform me why this won't work, as i also have a problem with my key and can get a new one cut by a local locksmith. is there any way to get the new one programmed

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    @markjvr: replied in your other thread.

My Cars
    93 325I and 05 X3
    groovy!!!...just tried the procedure for reprogramming without a working key and it worked for me ..sweet...THANKS

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Just out of curiosity, how do you obtain another key that is not working? I have a key that currently works, but seems to slowly be dying. I've thought about using the other DIY thread on replacing the battery, but if it's cheaper to get another key that just needs to be programmed, I am all for it.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by Linelisrs View Post
    Sory if I am kiling someones buisness, but After I have reprogramed 2 keys the car would not start it is just ticking like ignition is blocked electronicaly, even though both keys work properly -
    If anyone knows what to do, then Please save the world!!!
    the car is 52 plate (E46 2002year) BMW 3.20i 2.2se engine. thanks!
    this procedure only works for resyncing the keys with the general module. The key cannot be synced with the EWS as far as I'm aware, even by the dealer. The only thing that can be done is to have new keys ordered from BMW.

My Cars
    2001 330ci crashed 95 m

FOB or RFID BMW KEYS

Hi Guys. The BMW diamond keys work one of two ways They send out RF(Radio Frequency) Signals to lock and unlock your car the steps above are to program your car to accept the new code to unlock and lock your car. Cool But big deal.

The second and important part of your key is the FOB or RFID( Radio Frequency Identification ) chip. It is very small. This part you cant program your car to accept you need to reprogram the chip itself. The Rfid chip is hidden in the key itself. If you live in the usa its illegal to have a completed device on you because you can steal peoples credit card numbers with it. however you can buy the parts for it at radio shack of buy a complete READ/WRITE RFID online. Pain in the ass but this is my current project and no the rfid chip in your key is locked to reprogram so you have to get a new one still not very easy. you can hack the rfid chip in the key but that will take allot of expensive equipment. GOOD LUCK

My Cars
    01 325it
    I just bought brand new key from dealer and they tried to program it and it did not work for some reason. Is any other component that broken? New key starts car fine. lock button inside works as well but new remote key does not lock nor unlock my car. Car is 2001 325it.

My door lock does not work from outside(something is broken in side, it turns but it does not lock or unlock).

Dealer wants $110 for diagnostic I'd rather not take it in.

TIA
    08 tundra TRD S/C
    00 Disco II lifted
    01 325it

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by oneup
    I just bought brand new key from dealer and they tried to program it and it did not work for some reason. Is any other component that broken? New key starts car fine. lock button inside works as well but new remote key does not lock nor unlock my car. Car is 2001 325it.

My door lock does not work from outside(something is broken in side, it turns but it does not lock or unlock).

Dealer wants $110 for diagnostic I'd rather not take it in.

TIA
    Attempt to re-initialize your key. Doubt its that's simple if the dealer couldn't figure it out. You never know though.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    01 325it
    I tried procedure multiple time with no success. I spoke w/ Scott thinking my GM5 might be bad but he does not think it's the problem.

What else I can try?

Everything works except remote controll
    08 tundra TRD S/C
    00 Disco II lifted
    01 325it

My Cars
    2002 X5 3.0

Perfect, thank you!

This worked perfectly first time on my 2002 X5, thank you so much! Dealer said $665 for a new key... hmmm yes, $AUD665...

Thank you for posting.

Rob

My Cars
    94' 325I, 01 X5
    This worked perfect the second time i did it. Alittle side note: Key must be still in the ignition while pushing the button sequence. Thanks for the post.

My Cars
    1997 740i
    I am having an issue and wondering if the resync is something I should try. I am putting the key in the iginition and trying to start and getting nothing. I am trying a bunch of times when all of a sudden it starts. Sometimes two or three key turns, sometimes 10+ The lock and unlock feature works fine.

Yes it appears to have worked.
    Last edited by 1997; 02-21-2012 at 08:47 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i
    Hi - just joined, this is my first post. Recently bought a new-to-me 325i (my first BMW) and loving it. I've done a ton of web reading and have learned a lot thanks to everyone on this board and others. One question though: My key works fine but it is programmed to unlock only the driver side door, then I have to press it again to unlock the other three doors. I have searched the web in vain for info on how to program the key to unlock all doors at once. I assume it is possible but the manual does not say how to do it. Everything I read on the web just talks about programming the key in general (putting it in ignition, holding down unlock, hitting lock 3 times, etc.). But I find nothing about my particular question. If I try that, one of 3 things will happen - (1) I will screw up the current settings and it won't work at all, (2) it would not change anything and it would work as it does now, or (3) it would do what I want and all four locks would be activated at once. So, only Option 3 is good, and what are my chances I will get Door Number 3? Does anyone have any info on this before I risk it? Thanks...

My Cars
    2006 x5
    im able to program 1 key but when i go to program the other one, the first one stops working. how could i make both of them work?. thank you

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325 2 door

more programming instructions and tip

Hey there, if you are finding out that the original key is no longer working after you program a new key, it is because you need to program all the keys at the same time (not just the new key). Also, to add to all the instructions here are a few more key fob programming instructions ( credit is due to programcarremotes.com - this link is where I found them can someone with more authority here post the url properly to give credit? I am too new. (I have broken it up to post it) programcarremotes .com/bmw/bmw-3-series/1998-bmw-3-series-remote-programming/)

Pasted here To program the key fob for the early model BMW 3 series including the 318 you have to
    start with all doors, trunk and hood closed.

There are several different methods to try for the BMW 3Series so you may have to try more
    than one. TIP – if one method fails the first time, try it a second time before moving on
    to a new method as they can be tricky to get the steps right

METHOD ONE
    Step one – Open the Trunk

Step two – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step three – insert the key into the ignition and turn it ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’ five times ending in the ‘OFF’ position.

Your car should indicate that it is ready for programming by emitting a loud ‘chirp’ noise.

Step four – open and close the drivers door (but stay in the seat)

Step five – press any button on the key fob.

The light should flash indicating that programming has been succesful

Step six – repeat steps three and four again for other remotes your wish to program.

Step seven – when you have finished programming key fobs, leave the door open, get out and close the trunk and then close the drivers door.

Your car should indicate that it has completed programming mode by emitting another loud ‘chirp’ noise.

METHOD TWO

Step one – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step two – insert the key into the ignition and turn it ‘ON’ and ‘OFF’ five times ending in the ‘OFF’ position.

Step three – remove the key from the ignition and hold down the UNLOCK button for 15 seconds while pressing the LOCK button three times rapidly.

Step four – release both buttons

Your car should indicate that the key fob has been programmed by cycling the door locks.

METHOD THREE

this method requires at least one working key fob. If it doesn’t work the first time switch the order of the keys.

Step one – get in the drivers side of the vehicle and close the door

Step two – insert the key into the ignition and turn it quickly from ‘ON’ to ‘OFF’. All the rest of the steps MUST occur in 30 seconds or less.

Step three – remove key #1 and hold it up near the roof on the drivers side by your shoulder (this is where the reciever is located)

Step four – hold down the UNLOCK button for 15 seconds while pressing the LOCK button three times rapidly.

Step five – release the unlock button

Your car should indicate that the key fob has been programmed by cycling the door locks.

Step six – repeat step three, four, five fast for key #2.

My Cars
    2001 e46 325Ci
    worked for me, fantastic!
    emilebos
    E46 325ci
    Melbourne, Australia
    ----------
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up and get an extra 500mb FREE via my referral link.. http://db.tt/VZheLTOp

Method One worked for me on a 2000 Touring

My Cars
    318i convertible 03/1996
    Just did mine! Saved me a few ££££ thanks op

My Cars
    2001 318i

No luck

I have repeatedly tried these steps but nothing works. I replaced the battery on my key and it was working fine, all of a sudden it stopped and it doesn't allow me to reprogram it, any suggestions???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast