Thread: 325ix vs 325xi

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4

325ix vs 325xi

any differences??

have a 89 325ix and drove behind an e46 325xi and pondered why they changed the letter line up... for the hell of it or is there really something different between the awd setup?

My Cars
    '06 X5 4.4i; K1200S
    I am talking out of my ass here, but my understanding is the E46 325xi is based on BMW's X-drive system, which can convert most of the power to either set of wheels, where as the E30 325ix had a locked (I think 50/50) power distribution. Am I wrong?

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    I think it's more of freshening up of the nameplates. They did the same thing with the "iL" in the 7-series which is now "Li". Probably some pro-Mercedes people in this forum can give another view on that. Mercedes did it first.

My Cars
    318Ti, Fiat 124 Spider, Saab 900 Turbo
    I do know that the newer AWD system, is supposed to be better and more transparent to the user. If it is actually better than the old in getting the car through all conditions, I do not know.

I always wanted a 325iX.

My Cars
    89 325ix, 85 eta
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts930 View Post
    I am talking out of my ass here, but my understanding is the E46 325xi is based on BMW's X-drive system, which can convert most of the power to either set of wheels, where as the E30 325ix had a locked (I think 50/50) power distribution. Am I wrong?
    not sure about the new ones but no the older ones don't have a locked power distribution and the "normal" power ratio isn't 50/50 but 37/63.

the e30 ix system is pretty transparent as it is.
    Hold on let me get my laptop and read this on the toilet.
    --DrDub

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    E30ix was a fully mechanical AWD system

E46xi was a partially mechnically (mechanical locked center diff) and partially electronic AWD system (electronic management of power to different sides of the car). The power split between front and rear was 38% front / 62% rear. The car used the brakes to modulate power from side to side because the car was equipped with open differentials at front and rear. Check out howstuffworks.com for open differential information.

The E90xi uses a fully adjustable mechanical (via electric motor) to transfer power from front to rear which is able to transfer 100% of it's power to the wheels with grip front or rear. The E90xi also is equipped with open differentials from and rear and the brakes are used to slow wheels that are spinning to transfer power to the other side.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Dan is offline My real name is Charles
    My Cars
    E39 540i/6, Galant VR4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    E30ix was a fully mechanical AWD system

E46xi was a partially mechnically (mechanical locked center diff) and partially electronic AWD system (electronic management of power to different sides of the car). The power split between front and rear was 38% front / 62% rear. The car used the brakes to modulate power from side to side because the car was equipped with open differentials at front and rear. Check out howstuffworks.com for open differential information.

The E90xi uses a fully adjustable mechanical (via electric motor) to transfer power from front to rear which is able to transfer 100% of it's power to the wheels with grip front or rear. The E90xi also is equipped with open differentials from and rear and the brakes are used to slow wheels that are spinning to transfer power to the other side.
    thanks! just what i was looking for.

My Cars
    2 e30s, e34, e36, e39,

agaerg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    any differences??

have a 89 325ix and drove behind an e46 325xi and pondered why they changed the letter line up... for the hell of it or is there really something different between the awd setup?
    This is a great "lob" for a lay-up. The e30 325iX has true viscous-coupling differentials that split torque based on need... meaning that if an axle is slipping, it will automatically (and mechanically) transfer power). The e46 Xi version relies on traction control for power transfer. The slipping wheel is braked via traction control, and the open diff transfers power to the stuck wheel.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    And the award for dead-thread revival goes to ....... !!
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.