Thread: Has anyone done this engine mod?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan

Has anyone done this engine mod?

I'm thinking about going NA to bump up some ponies after seeing the many potential threats to our beauties at the LA auto show. What do you guys think about this:
    Super Sport Head. Ferrara valves, titanium keepers and retainers hot springs, 3 angle valve job. Ported and polished decked and cleaned. Ready to rock! 2895.00 + shipping and core. +labor
    good for close to 300HP
    OR
    go the easy way with the blower and have close to 360hp...but of course with the unknown long-term reliability and engine life issues? Any thoughts?
    All I've got so far is the AA gen 3 exhaust. Yeah, the intake and shark injector will follow too. This NA kit from RMS is very inviting. If anyone's had this done before, can you share your thoughts...and potential performance figures (0-60, 1/4mi, etc.)?
    Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Forget the Ti retainers and keepers unless you plan on replacing them at about 20K miles.
    They are harder but break in time as they become brittle.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    2001 IR M3, 2004 Yamaha R6
    somehow i just don't see getting close to 300hp off of just head work, considering 3.5" HFM, chip, 24# injectors and schrick cams get you to about 297.(if you car was obd1 of course)

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper
    I thought our cars already came with almost a 3 angle job as well?? Remember to do port-matching as well.

I would definitely get blown; but, I'm biased...^__*. For the price -- betting blown can get expensive quickly. No reliability issues here with over 12K on AA's kit. I only run lo-boost usually and have maybe run hi-boost a total of 3 times....if you don't get greedy and crazy with the boost levels, you should be fine.

If you decide on a s/charged route -- Dinan, RMS, ERT. ESS, AA etc should be considered. Don't listen to people who've never had a supercharger or turbo on their cars. I believe mechtech and AA are the only ones who really make turbo's for the E36. People will tell you RMS sucks, ERT sucks, ESS sucks, etc....talk to people that own them. Some people have had great luck with the above companies, some have not. If you are looking for 100% reliability, it's hard.

Plus, if your leak and compression results are good, there's no need to rebuild your top and bottom end.

Just be careful of emissions in Cali as well, whatever route you decide to take. I would mosey on over to the f/i forum and ask some of the people their thoughts.

For instance, I put down 322 rwhp at 6.5 lbs of boost, haven't dynoed at 14 lbs of boost yet -- since I need my chip remapped by AA; but, should be a little over 400 rwhp I would assume. I know Sean and Phil are around 420 rwhp (s52 and s54 RMS s/ch'ed).... I'm not sure what Jim is around with his Mechtech turbo, probably 420+ rwhp, etc.

So, if power is what you crave...it can be had.

Good luck with your decision.

My Cars
    IS350
    An all motor setup is very expensive for the small gains. By just doing the head work and not upgrading cams, injectors etc I don't see where a lot of power can be gained. I would look into going FI if I were you. Probably a supercharged application is what your after. I would look into one of the many S/C kits available. I think someone out there is currently making a roots type blower for our car and should be available in the near future. I'm anxious to see how that works out.
    Last edited by Caymandiver75; 01-06-2003 at 09:35 AM.
    08 IS-F Ultrasonic Blue 12.44@116.42mph
    06 IS350 (Sold) 12.84@109.20mph

My Cars
    04 E55, 04 Touareg, 97 M3, 00 996 cab, 86 944T
    For the price of the $3k head you might as well but a 3gHZ computer, stick it in your trunk (unplugged of course) and pretend you now have a piggyback engine management system. The head will only benefit the motor after you spend another $5-7k on an entire exhaust (headers, cat-delete) and intake (HFM, manifold) and cams. Even then the heads will probably out-flow the rest of the system, resulting in poor port velocities and unnecessary torque loss.

Eugene
    97 M3/2 5spd - Hellrot - for sale!
    Dinan Stage V/CAI/big TB/3.5"HFM/OBD I intake
    Dinan strutbrace/ X-brace
    Schrick cams
    euro 6spd/3.64 rear diff, 320i mounts
    AA gen III exhaust/track pipe/HIOP headers/02 simulators
    RS SSK, UUC clutchstop, clutchpedal bushings
    993TT front & 996 rear brakes, Hawk HPS/ SS lines/ ATE Super Blue
    Kinesis K20's 18x8.5,9.5, OZ Superleggera 18x9
    Eibach sways, H&R coilovers
    URI UD pulleys
    RedLine diff/tranny fluid
    PowerFlex RTAB, TCKline rear control arms, PowerFlex front control arm bushings
    98 M-Roadster boot, ECIS shield
    fan clutch delete, 80 C thermostat and fan switch
    Euro dual-pickup oil pan
    finned RE rear diff cover
    AC Schnitzer euro steering wheel

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    thanks for the input fellas, so it seems FI is the concensus. Now what about reliability and engine life issues for FI?