Thread: Input on Non OEM parts

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325is

Input on Non OEM parts

Has anyone had any misfortunes out of replacing their timing belt, water pump, etc, etc, etc with non OEM parts? ... I'm new to BMW's and know there are some shortcuts, and then there aren't.

And on the other hand, has anyone had great outcomes, or reliability come with non OEM parts and whered you get them?

I prolly need to do my timing belt and water pump and things and I know BMAparts has the timing belt + tensioner for like $35.00

so the question would be

What non OEM parts are safe and reliable to use?

What parts on the car/engine should ONLY be replaced with OEM parts?

My Cars
    Some e30's & an e34
    It really depends on what you're talking about. Most parts that we use are Non bmw parts, but rather parts that have been accepted by bmw as replacements. For example, there are 3 or 4 choices when choosing a water pump as replacement, yet all of those are accepted as "original equipment manufacturer" approved by bmw. It really boils down to where you purchase your parts from based on the knowledge available in the staff. If I want a water pump, i'm taking a risk to show up at kragen and order one, but if I can call patrick from bma parts, i have a HUGE advantage over kragen of getting the right one, for my year and engine.

This is the truth. It is NOT worth it to try to save a few bucks getting cheap parts. You purchased a bmw, and as such you WILL need to pay more money for parts.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by MrGone View Post
    It is amazing how in these situations something that is typically insignificant shows fundamental differences in principles/value recognition.

My Cars
    87 325is
    Thread HiJack in progress...

Burnsey,

I see that you have an 87 325is. I'd be very grateful if you could tell me the Knnnn you see on the face of your speedometer and what production date your car is. You can plug the last 7 of your VIN into http://www.realoem.com to get the prod date, or tell me and I'll do it.

The goal of this exercise is to eliminate the franken-cluster that someone put into my 87 352is. They used parts from two or more clusters to make one that almost works. To find a used cluster that is compatible I need the K number from an 87 325i/is built before 9/87

Thanks in advance.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1988 m3 2.3
    http://www.autohausaz.com/html/auto_parts_shopping.html

Scroll down and it shows the OEM manufacturers for many euro parts.

My Cars
    e30, X3, Z3... K1100rs
    NEVER go with non-OEM sheetmetal parts. You will be extremely disappointed. Period.

Ask me how I know.......