Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How tall is too tall for a Z3???

My Cars
    335i with N54
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikelly View Post
    Gang, I've got someone interested in my M Roadster and he's 6'2". His question was is he too tall to comfortably and safely fit in this car?? What say you???

Mike
    He's too tall. I am 511 and 200#s and I feel anybody taller than me will find the roady too cramped. IMO
    E21, E30, E36, S52, E39, E70/E90.....

My Cars
    240sx, JCW MINI, Disco
    6'4 and I've got plenty of space in the coupe.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedaddy View Post
    thedaddy ties Obama to Ozzie Osbourne...........nails triple word score.

My Cars
    BMW e90
    I think it depends on how wide he needs to open his legs to be comfortable. Every guy is different.

Contact me about the meet for Women

My Cars
    2001 z3 3.0 ,2003325it
    to make a short story long,my part time job is selling camping gear.One aspect is fitting backpacks .Torso size can differ alot(2-4inchs!) from people with the same overall height.

My Cars
    '11 Mel Red X5M
    i'm 6-2 and 275# no issues with fit. Head room is great. Looking at doing the seat tilt.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    huffy
    im 6'2" 190 and i fit fine, head rubs the top a bit, but not enough that it bugged me.

My Cars
    97 BMW M3 Coupe - Silver
    The guy test drove the car yesterday and his head did not rub on the ceiling and he had plenty of room in the car. It actually fit him well...

Thanks for the feedback gang...

Mike
    Current Loves:
    97 M3 DD with M50/aFe/Shark/AAW mods
    1992 Spec Miata Racecar
    1976 Datsun 280Z/ 383 stroker V8 track car
    2006 Dodge Cummins megacab Toy Hauler

Former loves
    2001 Porsche 996TT 600HP/Bilstein PSS9 suspension
    1997 328is Sedan

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    I know this is an old one, but I'm 5'11" with stubby legs (inseam 28") and tall torso and my head hits the liner in the roof.

I have no problem with headroom when the roof is down though...

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by healeydays View Post
    ... 5'11" ... and my head hits the liner in the roof...
    I am 6'1" and there is space between my head and roof, but the roof has no liner. For tall people, I think getting into the car can be hard, especially if they are not flexible. I have to scrape my head hard against the top's frame to get in.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 06-16-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I assume everyone is talking about moving the seat all the way back to enter/exit, regardless of driving position. I am 5'6", 29" inseam, and I do that every time, mainly to save the door from kicks and the seat bolster from rubbing. Of course, I worry that I'll wear out the seat motor/etc. sooner, but I'll deal with that if/when I have to.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I'm 6'2", the car had the tilt mod when I got it 5 years ago. I recently did the foam removal mod mentioned in the thread below. It adds about half an inch of travel that can be used for more leg room or to increase the incline. It doesn't sound like much, but it really made the car more comfortable and I wish I had done it years ago.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...mod-is-awesome

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Has anyone done the foam removal on a Coupe??????

I got to the part where I had the carpet semi-loose last night but it was still very firmly held in place by the partition plastic (maybe the carpet continues all the way into the back?). There was no way I could access the foam piece to cut it off so we gave up and put everything back together.

There also seemed to be a black rubberized coating on the underside of the carpet that I'd have to have a clear view to cut thru to access the foam block.

Seems like this mod is quite a bit different for the M Coupe?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I think this mod is more popular on the coupe than the roadster. The process sounds exactly the same. You need to take out the screws from the plastic partition. Once it's loose, you can work the carpet out from behind. You do need to remove the rubber coating and the styrofoam together, but just the rubber part that is covering the foam.

I didn't use any tools. it was difficult at the start, but once I got my hand between the styrofoam and the carpet it came out in mostly one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by CLOWN5HOE View Post
    Has anyone done the foam removal on a Coupe??????

I got to the part where I had the carpet semi-loose last night but it was still very firmly held in place by the partition plastic (maybe the carpet continues all the way into the back?). There was no way I could access the foam piece to cut it off so we gave up and put everything back together.

There also seemed to be a black rubberized coating on the underside of the carpet that I'd have to have a clear view to cut thru to access the foam block.

Seems like this mod is quite a bit different for the M Coupe?

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    We took the 4 plastic covers off of the partition screws and removed the screws. The carpet would not budge out from underneath the partition in order to gain access to the foam. In fact, it was extremely tight in the upper corner near the window (I did find a old post asking about that but no one had replied).

How do you get the floor carpet out from underneath the upper partition plastic behind driver's seat? That's where we gave up.

My Cars
    2001 M ROADSTER
    IMG_3460 (003).jpgShame on me!!! I'm 6-five and years ago I took the seat undercarriage out of my 98 M Roady and made a flat frame to bolt the seat down low. Great Mod!!! A couple years ago when I bought the 01 M Roady, I drove it home/shop and did the same. Ya see the difference between the two seats. Well reading this thread I saw tilt the seat!!! So being a prudent hack of a wrench I bought a a couple coupling nuts and bolts to try it and see .................... thinking I could just take off the two front nuts, pry the seat up and WA LA!!!!! Done. Tried it Sunday ...... Ain't happening without losenenig the back nut and bolt??? Bolt you ask, what bolt??? Why the inboard rear bolt welded to the seat frame going thru the bode to underneath the car where the nut holds the seat down....................... it works and no other way to get to the attachment point without brain damage. (the 98 I used OE mount and this time no way, drill baby drill).

Needless to say, I removed the front nuts and loosened the rear but no go. I need to pull the seat and use my frame I built to spacer the front of the seat to raise the it. That way the frame mounts flush to the 3 OE mount points and my one inboard rear mount point. Needless to say on this Monday evening, Ain't happening as I need to pull the seat. remove the 4 bolts holding the seat to the frame, and make the mod.

The coupling nuts I bought are apox 1 inch high, HOW HIGH SHOULD I RAISE IT?

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I think you might be loosening the wrong screws. I removed 2 screws on the panel immediately behind the door opening. It creates enough space to work the carpet out from the side to get your hand in. Followed the instructions at the end of this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post22305839

Quote Originally Posted by CLOWN5HOE View Post
    We took the 4 plastic covers off of the partition screws and removed the screws. The carpet would not budge out from underneath the partition in order to gain access to the foam. In fact, it was extremely tight in the upper corner near the window (I did find a old post asking about that but no one had replied).

How do you get the floor carpet out from underneath the upper partition plastic behind driver's seat? That's where we gave up.

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    I think you might be loosening the wrong screws. I removed 2 screws on the panel immediately behind the door opening. It creates enough space to work the carpet out from the side to get your hand in. Followed the instructions at the end of this thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...9#post22305839
    Towards the end of step 2 is where we just were not able to budge the carpet out from the rear partition in order to access the foam piece. Put some muscle into it and even tried taking off the 4 screws in partition near top of carpet that needed to pull down but it wasn't having it. Anyone have any pics?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12