Thread: Keyless entry problem BMW compact.

My Cars
    BMW Compact

Keyless entry problem BMW compact.

Hi,
    First post.

I live in the UK and have a 2003 BMW 318 compact. Recently had problems with remote keyless entry. First one key lost the code, then the other a few weeks later. Both were re-initialised at the dealer. Now a few weeks later again, one works only intermittently, the other not at all. That includes re-initialising - one will, sometimes, the other not at all. I tried it myself and the dealer did too. Both seem charged - the bad one sometimes will unlock the boot/trunk. Nothing location specific in this - happens anywhere. The range is very short when the good key works.

I've searched the forums on this, but though there are similar questions, there aren't often answers!

1) Could it be fuses? I presume not because the key does work intermittently. Looked at them in the glovebox, but even with the chart could not make head or tail. The chart doesn't seem to correspond obviously to the actual layout - eg it gives me numbers for the central locking fuses, but there are no numbers on the fuses themselves the layout doesn't look like the chart.
    2) The bonnet/hood sensor? Where is the damn thing? Looked and could not find it. Would there not be some other diagnosis of this, like a dashboard light (nothing is lit)
    3) Both keys go bad, within weeks of each other?
    4) Can I have turned off the system somehow? I suppose not, as it does work sometimes.
    5) The fuel door is locked when I used the key manually.
    6) Can it be a mechanical issue with the keys, eg dirt or bust "springs" under the buttons? If so, any fix?
    7) Ok... what will a replacement cost? No short cuts or refurbishment I suppose?

Thanks in advance fellows
    Last edited by al89; 12-16-2006 at 09:29 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    You've got either bad keys, or a lot of interference where you're trying to use your remotes.

My Cars
    1998 M3 5MT Vert
    Same thing happened with the remote on my 323. It corrected itself when I had the alternator belts replaced and the battery charged. I don't know how they are related so if yours is the same think electrical instead of mechanical. Do you notice any other strange things going on? One day, my speedometer stopped working. Another day the battery and oil lights came on and stayed on. Oil level was fine. Then, after the alternator belt was replaced, those issues went away too.

My Cars
    BMW Compact
    No other electrical problems

The hood sensor? Where is the damn thing?