Thread: Looking for help on how to get started with Tracking my car

My Cars
    06 M Roadster, 06 Mini Cooper S

Looking for help on how to get started with Tracking my car

Hello all you Track Junkies.

Though I am not new to owning BMWs or sports cars in general I have never been to the track. I would like to get started but don't know where a good place to start is and looking for advice. It seems the Z4 M has helped awaken in me a great desire to drive it in a more spirited manner than I can on the road legally.

I am not looking to get into racing but I am looking forward to maybe making driving on the track into a new weekend hobby.

I live in Dallas TX so of course I would be looking for a track in this area. I know I should start with baby steps and I really just want to learn how to drive better more than anything.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Find a driving club in your area (try calling the local track or checking their schedule for more info). Contact the club and tell them what you told us... they will tell you what rules and regulations are required for their club. More than likely they will charge you a yearly fee and the first time out they will give you an instructor to show you how to do it all.

Word of advice... being that it's your first time out, don't go out there pretending to be Mario Andretti. Go out there with an open mind and listen to what the instructor has to say. Try getting more than one instructor to get more than one point of view.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    97 328is, 2016 F150
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Find a driving club in your area (try calling the local track or checking their schedule for more info). Contact the club and tell them what you told us... they will tell you what rules and regulations are required for their club. More than likely they will charge you a yearly fee and the first time out they will give you an instructor to show you how to do it all.

Word of advice... being that it's your first time out, don't go out there pretending to be Mario Andretti. Go out there with an open mind and listen to what the instructor has to say. Try getting more than one instructor to get more than one point of view.
    +1

seat time, seat time, seat time.

the more time and money you put toward being behind the wheel and on the track is best thing you can do.
    -Jason

--I shoot a Nikon D300. I track a 1997 BMW E36. I wrench with Matco.
    I Boost a 2015 F150 Ecoboost --

--I don’t Fail; I succeed at finding what doesn’t work--

--Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you--

--If you can leave rubber from the apex to the braking zone, you have enough power--

--1997 BMW 328is--2016 F150 CCLB Ecoboost
    --2004 F250 CCSB FX4 Diesel (sold)--2006 Acura TL (Sold)--2010 Acura MDX (Sold)--2019 STI (Sold)

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    There isn't a lot of organizations out there that will allow convertibles.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars

My Cars
    540iT, GT3
    DFW has a very active BMW CCA chapter. It's called the Lone Star Chapter. Check out their web-site at www.lscbmwcca.org.

There are some fun tracks in Texas, the closest being Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. There's also TWS (Texas World Speedway) in College Station and MSR Houston. You can also drive up to Hallett in Oklahoma.

The above said, you're going to have a hard time getting into DE (Driver Education) events with a convertible. Most (if not all) DE organizers won't allow you on track without a roll bar that's at least x-inches above your helmeted head as well as arm restraints. I don't know what the rules are with regards to convertibles fitted with hard tops though...

The cheap and easy way to get started is by attending auto-cross events. The Lone Star Chapter hosts them pretty much every month throughout the year and although some track snobs will argue that it's a waste of time, it's just a fun and easy way to get into the sport and you will also meet the organizers of the DE events in the DFW area. The guy who runs the auto-cross series actually has an account on this forum. His s/n is "M3 Adjuster", but you'd probably have better luck just emailing him directly or posting on the LSC forum (accessed via their web-site).

Hope this info helps. I'm sure you will have lots of fun! The DFW guys are a great bunch.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster, 06 Mini Cooper S
    Thanks everyone for the advice. If I can't get my Z4 M tracked then I will have to see if I can use my 06 Mini Cooper S. I am more interested in the driver education part than the "driving fast" part. I want to learn better technique and do agree that seat time is more valuable than modding my car (though I still want to mod my car).

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven06Z4M View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. If I can't get my Z4 M tracked then I will have to see if I can use my 06 Mini Cooper S. I am more interested in the driver education part than the "driving fast" part. I want to learn better technique and do agree that seat time is more valuable than modding my car (though I still want to mod my car).
    The MCS is a better car to take to the track to start with. Almost all the track junkies that I know, the ones that started off with a lower HP car ended up being the faster driver quicker. Must be something about the ability to make use of less HP and keep momentum high longer that makes for a better driver.

When you can make the MCS fast on the track you'd be ready to really tear it up in a car with 100 more ponies.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.