Thread: Creaking Steering wheel?

My Cars
    02 M Coupe

Creaking Steering wheel?

I'm getting a slight creaking/squeaking noise from my steering wheel when I turn it about 5 degrees either side of center. Only started happeneing when the temperature got pretty cold here (~25*F.) Any one have any suggestions what it might be and how to fix it? Its something in the interior of the car, and I would guess its a bushing somewhere.

My Cars
    911, Cherokee
    Its the airbag equiptment rubbing, I had the same problem when it was cold(pretty sure it's due to everything contracting). I took everything apart, and then greased it using a light lubricant, and it went away. Chances are that it will eventually come back, but not for awhile.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    pretty common problem. something about the slip ring that makes some noise when it's cold.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.9lz View Post
    Its the airbag equiptment rubbing, I had the same problem when it was cold(pretty sure it's due to everything contracting). I took everything apart, and then greased it using a light lubricant, and it went away. Chances are that it will eventually come back, but not for awhile.
    Yep, it's called the slip ring.

It's wise to disconnect the battery before removing the steering wheel (read: airbag), but according to BMW, the airbag cannot deploy if there's no key in the ignition.

If you do disconnect the battery, be certain you know what your radio code is beforehand.

My Cars
    02 M Coupe
    Any links to instuctions for lubing this slip ring?