Thread: Stumbles on Start Up

My Cars
    E36 ///M3/4

Stumbles on Start Up

Lately my car has been stumbling on start ups. I let it warm up for about 30 seconds and then I am off, but sometimes it will stall on me.

I have not changed the oil since I got it, and plan on doing so this weekend. The previous owner had all service done at a highly rated local shop, and they were using Castrol GTX 20w50. I was going to stay with this, but I am afraid that it may be part of the problem.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    My car does it too. I've always just considered it a part of the character of the car. It only stubles the first time you try to accelerate when cold. After that its perfect. Actualy the car is always perfect, its just a little more perfect after the first cough of the day.

My Cars
    E36 ///M3/4
    Hmm... These cars sure do have a lot of character. Not that I am complaining.

My Cars
    2011 Tahoe, 2011 335is
    Are you sure it's not a bad idle control valve or vacuum leak?

My Cars
    Something quiet
    Quote Originally Posted by RMStephenson View Post
    Lately my car has been stumbling on start ups. I let it warm up for about 30 seconds and then I am off, but sometimes it will stall on me.

I have not changed the oil since I got it, and plan on doing so this weekend. The previous owner had all service done at a highly rated local shop, and they were using Castrol GTX 20w50. I was going to stay with this, but I am afraid that it may be part of the problem.

Any thoughts?
    20W50 is a rather high weight depending on your temps. 10W30 would be much better and 5W30 even better if you ever see freezing temps in GA. That however does not have anything to do with your idle.

There have been numerous threads on here about a rough idle at initial startup. It has been decided that this is normal as long it lasts for less than 30 seconds or so. My car does it too. Just something more to love I guess.

My Cars
    97 M3 , 93 CBR900rr

more warm up time

just let the car warm up a little more, good for the car and good for you