Thread: LED Tails cause dash lights to illuminate

My Cars
    '99 328i, 99 Bravada

LED Tails cause dash lights to illuminate

Seems like it's hit and miss when doing searches... some folks seem to have problems and others don't. I thought that the dealer could program my 98 528i not to illuminate the dash lights after reading some threads on the subject. Apparently that's not the case... they don't want a bulb to really burn out and then be held liable should I get in an accident. Is there any way to turn the dash lights out on my own? I thought the resistence was supposed to be the same... ugh.

Oh... these aren't the factory default lights... several hundred on ebay. If it's a "you get what you pay for and you're out of luck" thing then I guess I'll just try to get rid of them. Help... !! TIA.

My Cars
    528i, Maxima
    Brakes or turn signals? Brakes can be fixed in a couple of ways, put a load resistor with a heatsink or try to change the sensor (not sure how to do this but we can figure it out)

I have worked with similar issues on other makes/models but cant be too hard to figure out the bimmer's

My Cars
    '99 328i, 99 Bravada
    Brake lights. There is a resistor of some sort already on the lights, just appears not to be doing the job it's supposed to. Any help or insight you can provide would be great!!!

My Cars
    528i, Maxima
    usual brake light is about 12V, 5W therefore i=5/12=0.4167Amps .: R=12/0.4167 = 28.8 Ohms

this is roughly what the resulting reststance should be (i will confirm, by actually looking at the bulb wattage rating). LEDs would use much higher resitance, now u have to place another resistor parallel to the light to bring the resuslting resistance down to about 30 Ohms. Can u read the resistor(color-code) value? or put an Ohm meter across it? if so I can tell u what value Resistor to get....

all info is in good faith, dont hold me liable, if the resistor gets too hot!!

My Cars
    98 528I
    I Tried Also To Put Led Taillights For The Brake Lights Didnt Work, I Just Put The Old Lights Back On,

My Cars
    87 325is
    They canbe made to work and not set off the warning light. As colombobeat says it is just a matter of adding a parallel resistor of the appropriate value to match the normal resistance of the bulb. You could do that by meausring the current draw with a bulb and then with the LED light. From that you could compute the effecive resistance of each and then the value of a parallel resistor and the required power rating. Simple electrical stuff really.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL