Thread: 335i Coupe - Are there any problems?

My Cars
    CLK350

335i Coupe - Are there any problems?

Hi Guys, I'm in the market for the BMW 335i coupe with auto transmission. I just want to know if anyone has had any problems with the car mechically. Also I would like to know what colours look good for the car. I was thinking Montego blue or space gray.

Any help will be appreciated.

AWK

My Cars
    2007 335i, 99 M3, 02 330i
    I've had the 335i coupe for a little over a month, about 1200 miles on it. It's equipped with auto trans; premium, sport, and cold weather pkgs; comfort access; and paddle shifters. It's black sapphire with black interior. I've owned several BMWs over many years. I've had very few problems with my previous BMWs, and they've been minor at best. I don't expect this car to be any different. I've had no problems to date with it. The fit and finish and quality of the car is excellent. Both of the colors you're thinking about look great on the car, I've seen them both. Montego blue is the color it is most advertised in. Also, I believe the steptronic with the shift paddles is the way to go, this is based off of my experience with my 04 SMG M3. I like not fighting the clutch pedal and it performs excellently on the track and in auto-cross. I also have a 99 E36 M3 with 5sp manual. I've got a lot of experience in driving the autocross and the track and the steptronic allows you to concentrate more on the course and less on the shifting to keep the car in it's power band.
    Good luck with your purchase

My Cars
    Veyron, RadioFly Tricycle
    I would buy montego. It looks sexier and more edgy than the space grey, which is the color of about half of all coupes sold by the way.

And always get the coupe with step and paddles. It is 10-times better than the manual. And yes, I have driven both.

My Cars
    335i coupe
    I ordered black on black 335i coupe with dark burl walnut trim, auto, paddles, sport, etc... I like the Jet Black. Yes, I like to wash cars.
    I think the Black, Blue or Grey are ways to go. I also think the auto rocks. Paddles are fun, not sure how much I'll use them, but for $100 who cares. Good luck with your car! Mines 3 weeks away!

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
    I ordered black on black 335i coupe with dark burl walnut trim, auto, paddles, sport, etc... I like the Jet Black. Yes, I like to wash cars.
    I think the Black, Blue or Grey are ways to go. I also think the auto rocks. Paddles are fun, not sure how much I'll use them, but for $100 who cares. Good luck with your car! Mines 3 weeks away!
    I saw that exact color combo in person and it is berry berry nice

My Cars
    There is one problem with the 335i:

It is too fast and you will go to jail.

My Cars
    F80 M3 ZCP, X1 M Sport
    If your going to do ANY performance mods engine wise, do not get the auto. These cars are going to be putting out 400+ hp with just ecu and exhaust upgrades. At least with the manual you can upgrade the clutch and not just ruin tranny's. If you're going to keep it stock or close to it, get whatever you prefer. I just can't see driving that car with an auto.
    CURRENT WHIPS
    2016 f80 M3 ZCP Mineral Gray/Black Full Leather
    2015 e84 X1 2.8i xDrive M Sport LeMans Blue/Black, Dinan Stage I

PREVIOUS WHIPS
    2013 e92 M3 ZCP Alpine White/Black, Dinan Stage I

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335i coupe, 1999 Lexus RX300
    I have a Space Gray with gray leather and gray poplar interior, with steptronic/premium/sport package. I got it in early October and have about 2200 miles on it--probably won't put too many on it for a while now since we just had a huge ice storm here. It's very possibly the most entertaining car to drive that I've ever driven and mechanically it runs great--it is, however, going into the shop in two days to fix an annoying little creak in the driver's seat. That's the only problem I've had with it.

And the Space Gray/Dakota gray/gray poplar combination is gorgeous.

Brad

My Cars
    335i coupe, E350, 06 Suzuki GSXR 750, Accord EX
    I've had my space gray 335 coupe for just a little over 2 months now and racked up 2,700 miles. The only problems I had was the standard AC bracket recall and a faulty oil cooler that leaked oil. They fixed both problems within 3 days and I haven't had any problems with the car since. I will note that my car had the software update done while it was being serviced. So far it seems that BMW made the car run a bit more rich to prevent engine knocking, which my service advisor confirmed. I've seen one dyno chart of a post software updated car and it lost approximately 5-10hp across the various rpm range. This could be variance due to different vehicles and I forgot if it was dyno'd on the same machine. But my butt dyno tells me it does not feel as torquey as it did pre-software update. I will stress, bottom line, the car is still fast either way

Regarding the steptronic, typically I would always say that slushboxes suck, but after reading how great the new transmission is in various magazines... I'll reserve my judgement. Also, found this on the e90 forum
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=xede
    His baseline run with a steptronic is 271 at the wheels which is inline or just a bit lower than other manual 335s. After the xede only, his car put out 317 which is also relatively inline. The difference in drivetrain loss between the manual and steptronic seems to only be in the 2-3% range, that is not bad at all. However, it is unknown at the time how the power increase will affect the automatic transmission over an extended period of time.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by mose121 View Post
    If your going to do ANY performance mods engine wise, do not get the auto. These cars are going to be putting out 400+ hp with just ecu and exhaust upgrades. At least with the manual you can upgrade the clutch and not just ruin tranny's. If you're going to keep it stock or close to it, get whatever you prefer. I just can't see driving that car with an auto.
    Then you should get prescription eyeglasses.

The BMW 335d diesel has insane torque (580 N-m), more than a tuned petrol N54 engine and has the auto transmission.

So, actually, with the manual you have to upgrade, with the auto you most likely don't unless you are doing a ridiculous tune up.

Besides, the auto with paddles is much better and quicker than manual.

My Cars
    03 Alpine 330I ZSP
    only prob that my cousin has on his, is the little seat belt things that bring the seat belt to you. The drivers side one just broke of the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Standing there, all by itself, in the barren desert, was the lone shift knob. Ready with shield, and adorned with it's tribal tan kilt, to defend the honor of BMW against all enemies foreign or domestic.

My Cars
    F80 M3 ZCP, X1 M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRT View Post
    Then you should get prescription eyeglasses.

The BMW 335d diesel has insane torque (580 N-m), more than a tuned petrol N54 engine and has the auto transmission.

So, actually, with the manual you have to upgrade, with the auto you most likely don't unless you are doing a ridiculous tune up.

Besides, the auto with paddles is much better and quicker than manual.
    so the 335d uses the exact same tranny (with no mods whatsoever) as the 335 petrol's?
    CURRENT WHIPS
    2016 f80 M3 ZCP Mineral Gray/Black Full Leather
    2015 e84 X1 2.8i xDrive M Sport LeMans Blue/Black, Dinan Stage I

PREVIOUS WHIPS
    2013 e92 M3 ZCP Alpine White/Black, Dinan Stage I

My Cars
    CLK350
    Thanks guys for your help. I decided to get the 335i coupe with auto in sparkling graphite with black upholstery with brushed aluminium interior trim. I just have to wait till next year March for pick up as this year allocation have been sold.

My Cars
    07 335i, 95 Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AWK View Post
    Thanks guys for your help. I decided to get the 335i coupe with auto in sparkling graphite with black upholstery with brushed aluminium interior trim. I just have to wait till next year March for pick up as this year allocation have been sold.
    I got the sedan version, but with the same ext color, interior, trim, and transmission about 3 weeks ago. The color combo is awesome, you'll love it!

My Cars
    07 328 coupe, 10 Jag XF
    so the 335d uses the exact same tranny (with no mods whatsoever) as the 335 petrol's?
    Its the same 6-speed AT used in the Corvette.

My Cars
    1989 325i 2003 540i
    I don't suspect people that bought a performance sedan in auto will be doing very much modifying...

My Cars
    95 M3/2/A - swap coming
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie99 View Post
    Its the same 6-speed AT used in the Corvette.
    Hate to bump an extremely old thread but I'm curious to see if anyone has any proof regarding the statement quoted above. I'm interested in buying a 335i with an autotragic.
    2002 325i Silver Metallic Sedan/Manual - Modding Every Day

- Street Stars Motorsports -
    - Bimmerworld Dealer
    - UUC Dealer

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Worstenemy453 View Post
    Hate to bump an extremely old thread but I'm curious to see if anyone has any proof regarding the statement quoted above. I'm interested in buying a 335i with an autotragic.
    Why not create a new thread? What specifically are you asking about the 335's AT? It's a ZF. It has 6 gears and R. Some people are rolling 500whp on the auto tranny.

My Cars
    95 M3/2/A - swap coming
    Quote Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
    Why not create a new thread? What specifically are you asking about the 335's AT? It's a ZF. It has 6 gears and R. Some people are rolling 500whp on the auto tranny.
    Why start a new thread when this thread is touching on exactly what im interested in ? Instead of just adding bandwidth to the site im making an old thread relavent again.

Will the 335 hold up to power long term ? Mainly exhaust/tune ? Is it the same exact trans as the corvette ?

Im looking at a 2007 btw.
    Last edited by Worstenemy453; 12-22-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

- Bimmerworld Dealer
    - UUC Dealer

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    With a 335 the problems you should worry about are not transmission related. Why are you so intent on the Corvette piece? So what if it is?

My Cars
    95 M3/2/A - swap coming
    Because if its a corvette piece then generally assuming the price of a full built transmission or upgraded internals should be a little cheaper if you can buy them for a corvette and not a BMW.

I know about some of the 335 problems but if I can't stick 400-450 through one of the automatics then I might choose a different car.

- Bimmerworld Dealer
    - UUC Dealer

My Cars
    2015 M3
    Then why not buy a Corvette?

My Cars
    95 M3/2/A - swap coming
    If the transmission is the same as a corvette then the transmission will be easier and cheaper to upgrade. Jesus Christ. Is it the same or different. I want a 335i. Not a freaking corvette.
    Last edited by mryakan; 12-24-2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: inappropriate language

- Bimmerworld Dealer
    - UUC Dealer

Ill tell you why not to buy a vette. Its a total piece of crap.