Thread: New ///M3 Owner: Repair Questions

New ///M3 Owner: Repair Questions

(1) The engine oil light goes on at idle, but when gas is applied, the light dies down. I am thinking it could be motor oil pressure is low or a sensor. Any issues that might cause this besides? I am having a compression test and oil pressure test done this weekend.

(2) while taking a turn and braking at about 80mph (racing a riced 626), the car wanted to fish-tail out from under me. I have another E36, and this has never happened. Could this be a suspension problem or brake problem. Could it be an ABS prob or maybe just warped rotors?

Thanks other than the above ... a Happy ///M Owner

Please pardon the pic being so big, I tried to make it smaller.
    Last edited by Lopaka; 06-22-2001 at 01:25 AM.

My Cars
    2006 E46 M3 w/ Competition Package; 2005 Lotus Eli
    Well, at what point in the turn we're you braking? Certainly not *in* the turn, right?
    • 2006 E46 M3 ZCP
    • 2005 Lotus Elise

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    Check for low oil.......only time something like that usually happens.

As for the braking and turning. Sounds like you are the cause. Braking in a turn causes all weight to shift to the front of the car. Since the rear is light, if you break hard enough you can cause a the tail to loose it or worse, a spin.

Good luck.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3/2
    We have a engine oil light on our car????????????????
    The last time I refill engine oil (b/c of lifter tapping) on my car
    and a friend of mine... I NEVER saw the engine light on...
    My friend's car had pretty much zero oil... (the oil stick was
    dry!)... again.. no light.

Retired Original
    BIMMERFORUMS
    Administrator
    My Cars
    BMW & Lexus
    This oil light doesn't tell the owner if the oil "level" is low but if there is adequate oil "pressure".

I don't know if you change your own oil and filter or not but I do. When I crank the engine after changing the oil the oil "presure" light comes on for a couple of seconds until the oil filter is saturated and the engine oil begins to circulate.

Bob ///M3

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    It has to be very low......as in at the bottom of the pan.

I have seen it on my 91 Camry, I used Syntec and it burned off 2.5 quarts in 5000 miles, never burned oil before that.

Also had a friend with an RX7 that had it blink due to very low oil.

Oil pressure drops when there is a small amount of oil at the oil pump pickup. I saw the oil light when the car was idling at light. I of course stopped the car and dumped more oil in the Camry.....never used that brand again.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    it can also come on if you don't apply enough gas when easing off the clutch.

Ok here's the deal. No it is not the driver. I am a very good driver. I just confirmed today that the guy who owned the car before me @#$% the springs by cutting them. The car was bottoming out and causing the car to be unstable. I have the H&R's on order.

Secondly, yes you have a oil pressure light and it should come on until oil pressure is at the appropriate level. I just changed the oil in the car, so that is not the problem as the oil level was correct to a tenth. I have an appointment on Monday to check the oil pressure, and have a funny feeling it may be the oil pump. Hopefully not the bearings.

Thanks for the criticism about my driving. =) I think if it were anyone else, the car would have spun out. the car was pushing outward on gentle curves going about 60-80 mph, and fishtailing in a straight line slight turning or changing lanes going probably over 100mph (had to look at the road and correct wasn't looking at the speedo). So the car is stowed away until monday.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 01-27-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    I can only say one thing....

Bummer dude....!!!!!