Thread: ModBargains Credit Card Fraud......

My Cars
    E46 TiAg M3

ModBargains Credit Card Fraud......

As the title states, there seems to be a rash of CC fraud taking place through the ModBargains website. I recently purchased a set of wheels from the website. Everything was fine until the day after my account posted the transaction. That next morning I woke up and noticed that my account had accrued over $1500 of fraudulant charges. I was able to get some information from the bank. Two attempted purchases that were decline were for Dell.com and HP.com. The purchase that did go through was at "DIE SCHWEIZERISCHE POST BERN". I did some research and it seems to be some Swiss company. Another charge was for "Manor AG" which seems to also be a Swiss or German company that is similar to Amazon.com by the looks of their website.

At this time i'm not placing any blame on ModBargains but it is disheartening that I as well as many others at e46Fanatics have also been victim of CC fraud through ModBargains website. Needless to say, it has left a bad taste in my mouth and may not be making any future purchases at ModBargains until some sort of resolution or explanation has been announced.

My Cars
    97 M3, 02 4runner
    wow.. that sucks. hope everything works out for you. i guess ill stay away from modbargins for now or until they find the guy. they have an awesome website too. so sad..

1997 Alpine White BMW M3
    2002 Stellar Blue Pearl Toyota 4runner Sport Edition 4wd

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Wow. Crappy.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    97 M3
    yea if anything you can maybe place the order through the phone? not sure if this will prevent it though.

My Cars
    S2k/AE86
    Hi Guys,

The above mentioned post does not sound similar to any of the other affected people which were all through fraudulent purchases made by an Italian company ‘trenetalia’; however here is the information on the status of the case. We have filed a case #I0611281523349822 with the FBI's internet crime division (http://ic3.gov/). Since the first post and just the mention of one customer having this happen to them, I have devoted my time and effort with our servers and hosting company to investigate.
    After speaking with our own local law enforcement they have pushed the case towards the FBI to help us. As of now I am told by both our credit card processing and our hosting servers that things are secure. We are letting the authorities investigate this further. Were going to let the experts do what they do best on this (Speculation of employee theft, key logging are all possibilities that they will investigate).

Your credit card company and your banks debit card will protect your transaction (Cancel and reimburse any fraudulent transactions). If you should have a need for further information or have been affected and would like to contribute to the investigation you can email me at ron@modbargains.com
    If you have any information to help us please forward it to me so that we can forward it along to the FBI, sending the information DIRECTLY to us is the most effective way to handle this and solve the case the fastest.

We are doing everything we can to proactively protect you. If you
    would like further information, you may wish to contact the issuer of
    your credit card to determine what steps they are taking. We regret any
    inconvenience this may cause you.

We Specialize In: BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust | BMW Wheels | BMW Accessories
    Ron Hay
    | Ron@ModBargains.com | (714) 582-3330
    Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am-6:00pm (PST) Sat 8:00am-5:00PM

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I found out last week that my brother suffered from credit card fraud. He did purchase an item from them, but we didn't expect it to be through ModBargains. I recently purchased some products from you guys, but nothing suspicious came up in my account. Is there anything current buyers (current transactions) need to know to keep them protected? Perhaps any actions we should take to provide protection against this. Has it been secure within the last week?

Kevin C.
    kevincao01@gmail.com

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    It may be a completely freaky coincidence, but I recently purchased from ModBargains also and soon after had over $5000 worth of attempted charges for everything from Google adwords accounts to airplane tickets. I had an inkling it was tied with my purchase at Modbargains, because I rarely use that credit card.

Anyways, fast forward a couple days and my credit company called me and told me about it. They sent me a new card and told me that I wouldn't be responsible for the fraudulent charges incurred. It was a Wells Fargo CC FYI.

If anyone at ModBargains needs any information from me to help with further investigations feel free to email me. Hope everyone else is safe too.

My Cars
    I drive a loaner
    I work with an eCommerce website that is the online revenue channel for our company, and I can tell you, this sucks for the customers and for the vendor too.

I try to only purchase online using a generated card number. Some credit card companies will generate a temporary number for you to use for online transactions. It expires and isn't useable again. it is a minor inconvenience to log on to your credit card's site before you make an online purchase to obtain the number, but that inconvenience is way less than trying to unravel fraudulent charges and the worry that you'll have about what else is compromised.

ModBargains; best wishes in your online anti-fraud endeavor, and I can't wait to afford your CSL wheels. Man they look good on BMWs.

My Cars
    1995 325i Sedan
    Super! Just ordered from them.

My Cars
    2014 535dX
    When you get no where with the Feds, PM me, 2 weeks I can deliver all info you ever wanted to know about anyone that accessed your site illegally...

Its no suprise to me that a site hosted through a reseller of SBC Internet Services has loop holes

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

cc fraud modbargains

ummm you really need to read the e46fanatics posts on this... most have been deleted or locked out but two are left. I apparently don't have permissions to post links so can someone do it for me? Just go to e46fanatics and search for posts by user "matt931"

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

cc fraud modbargains

An IC3 gets almost no responses... it is basically an answering service for the FBI that screens what cases the FBI can solve or not. Either way its a secret service issue.

And a complaint needs to be filed with the local police as well.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    and would anyone who has been a victim of credit card fraud AFTER ordering from modbargains please email me?

matt03r1@yahoo.com

A list of usernames is being gathered for legal action reasons. Thank you.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    Ron has already listed the FBI case number here, it is #I0611281523349822. If any of you have information, please send it to ron@modbargains.com and he will forward it to the FBI or you can call the FBI directly at 310-477-6565

We have taken all steps to ensure the security of your data and absolutely believe that our system is safe and secure.

We have also notified all of our customers that purchased from us in the past 2.5 months to alert them to check their credit card statements. We are in no way trying to "cover something up" as matt931 seems to think.

Any fraudulent charges against you can be recovered by reporting this to your credit card company.

Let it also be noted that the information sent to matt931 will not reach us or be filed in the FBI case that is already open. He has REFUSED to send us any of the information he has gathered about this case, despite our willingness to help.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i

lies...

Ahhh!!!! I'm back from two weeks in sunny st thomas. Thought this thread would have died by now. Good to see I was wrong. A couple things from me.

1. As far as I am concerned the people at modbargains are criminals. I spoke with an attorney a couple weeks ago about civil action regarding all of this. After reading all of the post print outs my attorney noted that either mike or ron (cant remember which) had posted that they had replaced all of their personal computers... my attorney says they did that to destroy evidence.

2. I personally contacted the FBI's main field office in LA they said they have absolutely NO RECORD of EVER speaking with anyone from modbargains. So that was a lie... The person I spoke with also said the online reporting would go nowhere. Check for yourself their numbre is (310) 477-6565.

3. Modbargains said they also contacted local police to file a report... So I contacted the fullerton police department. I was not at all suprised to find out that the fullerton police had no record of speaking with anyone from modbargains or anyone from modbargains filing a police report. Check for yourself their number is (714) 738-6800.

4. Ron and Mike want you to only report the fraud to them so it stops there. They lied about reporting this crime, probably because it happened internally with an employee, and now they are trying to cover it up.

5. I have a voicemail in to Jan Norman with the orange county register who wrote an article on mike brown winning the gse award explaining to her my situation and seeing if they were interested in covering it. You can reach them at (714) 796-7951.

6. Mike said that they had an outside company scan their ip for unauthorized access or attempts and none were found. That means either it was an employee stealing out credit card numbers or again mike is a liar.

All of this goes to show I have nothing to hide as Mike seems to imply. I'm not giving them my information to put into the "fbi" casefile because I know that it will never get there.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by matt931 View Post
    1. As far as I am concerned the people at modbargains are criminals. I spoke with an attorney a couple weeks ago about civil action regarding all of this. After reading all of the post print outs my attorney noted that either mike or ron (cant remember which) had posted that they had replaced all of their personal computers... my attorney says they did that to destroy evidence.
    I have my old computer here with me, with original files still on it. : Destroying evidence?? There is no evidence to be destroyed, since we are innocent in this matter. Ron used a desktop at his house and got a new laptop for the office. He still has his old computer also.

2. I personally contacted the FBI's main field office in LA they said they have absolutely NO RECORD of EVER speaking with anyone from modbargains. So that was a lie... The person I spoke with also said the online reporting would go nowhere. Check for yourself their numbre is (310) 477-6565.
    We called them five or six times to report the case, report new evidence, find out what their status was, etc. The FBI is pretty big, Matt. What happened is you called somebody that was not familiar with what was going on and they wanted to get you off the phone so they said they had no record of it. Ron made the calls in to the FBI and he's not here at this very moment so I can't ask him the exact details on it but I will.

3. Modbargains said they also contacted local police to file a report... So I contacted the fullerton police department. I was not at all suprised to find out that the fullerton police had no record of speaking with anyone from modbargains or anyone from modbargains filing a police report. Check for yourself their number is (714) 738-6800.
    We contacted Fullerton PD and spoke with them for about 20 minutes. They explained to us that from their point of view ModBargains has done everything necessary to put a stop to this, it seemed to them like a fluke situation. Because some of the fraudulent transactions were in Italy, most of them in fact, the Fullerton PD told us to contact the FBI since it was international and they have no power to investigate over there. So we called the FBI. That's why there isn't an official report with the Fullerton PD.

4. Ron and Mike want you to only report the fraud to them so it stops there. They lied about reporting this crime, probably because it happened internally with an employee, and now they are trying to cover it up.
    Your claims are so off-basis it is shocking. I don't even know how to respond to something like this.

5. I have a voicemail in to Jan Norman with the orange county register who wrote an article on mike brown winning the gse award (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1346308.php) explaining to her my situation and seeing if they were interested in covering it. You can reach them at (714) 796-7951.
    I'll make sure to give my friend Jan a call and explain this issue to her so that she knows the facts, not some version claiming that modbargains is evil.

6. Mike said that they had an outside company scan their ip for unauthorized access or attempts and none were found. That means either it was an employee stealing out credit card numbers or again mike is a liar.
    Now you are making personal attacks, that is not necessary. You seem to think we are some huge company with a lot of employees that we can't keep track of. You are so wrong about that. We've been able to grow into a high performing company while barely hiring any employees.

All of this goes to show I have nothing to hide as Mike seems to imply. I'm not giving them my information to put into the "fbi" casefile because I know that it will never get there.
    Your entire basis for this thread was to file a civil lawsuit, to get money for yourself. You even told me under the table that if I gave you a settlement you would go away and be quiet. Stop trying to extort us. Your comment about being happy that this thread has not died shows your true heart.

My Cars
    99 E36 BMW M3 S/C'ed, 02 Trailblazer, 05 Sentra
    I have had nothing but good dealing with Modbargains.

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    Weird, my modbargains transaction a couple weeks ago went fine...

My Cars
    Jetta
    Whoa. Sorry to hear about this. Sounds like ModBargains in on top of things. I have had nothing but positive dealings with them. I highly doubt they are complicit in some cc theft scheme. I don't know what Matt931's issue is, but he seems to be coming out of left field.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    E36 325is, E30 318i
    I happen to be personal friends with someone that supplies a product line to ModBargains. They have had nothing but good things to say about them, and I have only seen/read good things about them on the forums.

Your CC company covers fraudulent charges. Not sure why you would go after ModBargains...

My Cars
    08 Audi RS4, 01 M3
    Bringing this back from the dead - I've place two orders with Mod Bargains in my life. The first one was for a set of Stoptech brake rotors in 2007 for my e46 M3 and the second one was in October 2019 for a set of winter wheels for my 2008 RS4. Both times my credit card number was used fraudulently shortly thereafter. Most recently, it was several transactions totaling over $1000.00. This is a credit card I rarely ever use, so it most likely isn't from any other transaction. I guess some things never change...
    Last edited by kmurph; 01-16-2020 at 12:36 PM.

My Cars
    99 m3
    Same here. I had credit card fraud immediately after purchasing from here. The only other transactions I was making were fairly regular (gas, cafeteria at work)