Thread: How to tell if car has been in an accident....

My Cars
    '98 M3

How to tell if car has been in an accident....

I was at the dealer a couple of months ago checking out the new M to see if I would convince myself to shell out the money for the car. So I asked to see how much they would give me for my E36 M as trade in. So a guy came out with some tool (look like a density meter) and started checking the car. I was wondering if any of you have seen this tool before? Also, is it available for purchase some where? Any info will be greatly appreciated. TIA

My Cars
    ESS supercharged e92 M3
    Was he using the tool to check the paint density? If so i've had that done too. I had a defect in my roof and bmw re-painted it under warranty. I had my rear corner panel painted and the guy knew it right away with the tool. He also showed me how bmw applys more paint on the hood (for more protection) and near the tires/fenders and less paint on the rear of the car. ITs pretty cool. I think the tool is damn expensive i had to have an appointment like 3 weeks ahead of time and the guy traveled all over the east coast. I guess he was this "special paint testor guy" ahah :p

My Cars
    see sig
    Actually, he was probably a whole saler who goes around to dealers, and buys/sells cars to/for them. Those testers are pretty expensive.
    A talented individual with the right experience cannot be fooled if he is given the time to look at a car in the right conditions, no paint thickness guage needed. If you are looking to buy a used car, take it to a local ( TOP QUALITY) body shop, have them put the car on a lift under the correct lighting, and they should be able to tell you if a car has been painted, and how severely the car was damaged.
    If you dont have a relationship with a high end repair facility, (lucky you!), call around, many will do these inspections free of charge!!

Steve Jenkins
    www.thelastdetail.com
    Steve