Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convertible hardtop + rollover protection

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205

Convertible hardtop + rollover protection

Just picked up a hardtop for my vert and i was wondering about the rollover protection system works when theres a hardtop installed on the car.

do the bars still pop up in an accident? if so, will they break the glass window?

just wondering - the top is so light, there's no way it can have the strength to provide any sort of rollover protection or any structural rigidity to the car.

My Cars
    A6 4.2, some Honda
    i belive that they pop up, much like the SL's roll over bar, and yes they will go right through the hard top, but if you roll you dont have to worry about that anyway

side note, did you guys know on the 3rd gen eclipses the front seats were the roll bars? a salesman told me that and sense then i have always been uneasy riding in one (aside from them looking kinda gay)
    HHC 2/135

My Cars
    318iC, 98M3 sedan
    i'm assuming that the roll bars will break the rear window.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan86242 View Post
    i belive that they pop up, much like the SL's roll over bar, and yes they will go right through the hard top, but if you roll you dont have to worry about that anyway
    they have deployed once on my car in a 15 mph fender bender.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post
    im aware of how the roll bars function with a soft top, i was more wondering if they function differently with the hardtop on, or if the hardtop is shaped to clear the bars if they deploy in a non-rollover accident.

i guess no one knows.

My Cars
    Imola E36 M3 E30 Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by palomino View Post
    they have deployed once on my car in a 15 mph fender bender. im aware of how the roll bars function with a soft top, i was more wondering if they function differently with the hardtop on, or if the hardtop is shaped to clear the bars if they deploy in a non-rollover accident.

i guess no one knows.
    Well you could measure a hardtop and see if it does clear them. However from what I've seen, the hardtop's dimensions are very close to that of the rag top.

Most likely the roll-over bars will puncture the rear windows. They pop up with alot of force.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    You need to get a retrofit kit for a hardtop.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@ModBargains View Post
    You need to get a retrofit kit for a hardtop.
    i did install the kit. do the electrical components change anything with the rollover protection system? i was under the impression that it just provide secure latching points in the rear along with connections for the rear lights and rear window defroster.

My Cars
    06 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfish View Post

My Cars
    318iC, 98M3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero325i View Post
    that's not my car

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    mine depolyed once but it was warm enough outside to just stretch the plastic, not rip it. the plastic morphed back into shape a few hours later.

My Cars
    2001 530i
    Just don't get any air in it and you should be fine

I assume it would just break out the rear window.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by sendittoryan View Post
    Just don't get any air in it and you should be fine

I assume it would just break out the rear window.
    im starting to think maybe the glass was designed to pop out without damaging the rest of the top.

hopefully i wont have to find out by experience.

My Cars
    Nothing.
    What an amazing feature. I was telling some people about this the other day, and they were like, "no wai!"

My Cars
    M2CS
    I saw someone charge a dip in their E36 cabrio one day resulting in lots of sparks and air, thus the bars shot right up also. Crazy person just kept charging down the street, probably stole the car.
    M2CS 6-spd

My Cars
    Bus,Metro,Walk
    Just picked up a hardtop for my vert and i was wondering about the rollover protection system works when theres a hardtop installed on the car.

do the bars still pop up in an accident? if so, will they break the glass window?

just wondering - the top is so light, there's no way it can have the strength to provide any sort of rollover protection or any structural rigidity to the car.
    they still deploy with the hardtop on since,it happenned to my vert a year ago when i got tapped in the back-luckily it didn't shatter the glass-i would assume it would though(i really just got lucky)anyway,i installed removable paddings when the top is installed-like the pads they use on jeep rollbars-so just in case it happens again(slight bumper tap) at least it would still protect the glass....
    but,to be on the safe side: pad the top of the rollbars when the hardtop is on since the glass is a $500 plus item from BMW....congrats on the hardtop
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    i did install the kit. do the electrical components change anything with the rollover protection system? i was under the impression that it just provide secure latching points in the rear along with connections for the rear lights and rear window defroster.
    not the kit to make the hardtop latch onto the top, but the kit for the rollover bars when having a hardtop on.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4boy View Post
    they still deploy with the hardtop on since,it happenned to my vert a year ago when i got tapped in the back-luckily it didn't shatter the glass-i would assume it would though(i really just got lucky)anyway,i installed removable paddings when the top is installed-like the pads they use on jeep rollbars-so just in case it happens again(slight bumper tap) at least it would still protect the glass....
    but,to be on the safe side: pad the top of the rollbars when the hardtop is on since the glass is a $500 plus item from BMW....congrats on the hardtop
    Thank you for you response and adivce about the padding.

It was exactly what I was looking for. I will definitely look into finding a subtle way to pad the bars.

I am loving the hardtop so far, even though it rattles a little bit. Im so excited that my car doesnt leak when i wash it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don@ModBargains View Post
    not the kit to make the hardtop latch onto the top, but the kit for the rollover bars when having a hardtop on.
    i wasnt aware of one. i will look into it though. do you know what it does?

My Cars
    1996 328i cabriolet
    "Don@ModBargains" please tell us more about that kit is it a stealership kit? and what does it do? i just got a hardtop also and would not want to see the bars go thru the window?

1996 Boston Green 328i cabriolet
    Sport package|Shark|UCC sway bars|Bilstein sports|H&R|M3 RTAB w/Ireland spacers|M3 CAB|UUC shortshift|UUC TME|Alpine CD w/XM|Alpine Alarm|Brembo|M3 spoiler|Racing Dynamics CAI|Racing Dynamics Front Strut brace|Ported & polished head|Angel eyes|M3 STB|Tinted|Clear turn signals|Windscreen|Hardtop|BSW sub & speakers|Projector foglights|M3 clutch|JB aluminum flywheel|M-tech front end|M3 cams & M50 intake|Aluminum Radiator|Silicone hoses|Braided brake & clutch lines|UUC shifter|Dr Vanos

My Cars
    M3, 328i, 951
    they will either break it or puch the whole top up
    FS: 95 M3 HFM used, stock air-box, stock chip, factory head-unit, factory 6 disc changer and other misc parts. PM for more info!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 318Mpower View Post
    Thanks "DJ Genius" , not everyone is a hater. I might actually do a jdm b16 swap(keep laughing when I'm putting down more HP/TQ than you) with triple ESC( electric supercharger newbs) megasqurit independent fuel management, GReddy boost controller and BOV. This setup is good for atleast 300WHP. My friends civic had the same setup.

My Cars
    WOw Thats awesome
    I cant believe they had such a sweet protection
    I always wondered how it worked
    E36 FTW

My Cars
    1996 328i cabriolet
    I just called the dealership and they have not heard of a retro fit kit to stop the bars from going thru the window

1996 Boston Green 328i cabriolet
    Sport package|Shark|UCC sway bars|Bilstein sports|H&R|M3 RTAB w/Ireland spacers|M3 CAB|UUC shortshift|UUC TME|Alpine CD w/XM|Alpine Alarm|Brembo|M3 spoiler|Racing Dynamics CAI|Racing Dynamics Front Strut brace|Ported & polished head|Angel eyes|M3 STB|Tinted|Clear turn signals|Windscreen|Hardtop|BSW sub & speakers|Projector foglights|M3 clutch|JB aluminum flywheel|M-tech front end|M3 cams & M50 intake|Aluminum Radiator|Silicone hoses|Braided brake & clutch lines|UUC shifter|Dr Vanos

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    any updates on this supposed rollover protection w/ hardtop retro kit?

My Cars
    96 328is
    I have the manual for my '96 328is and it has a note in the section about the vert roll bars that says:
    "When the hardtop is mounted be sure to install the flexible covers provided along with the hardtop to prevent the rear window from being damaged in the event of system activation"
    I also have the factory options catalog and it says nothing about a conversion kit or anything.

My Cars
    E36, F10, W205
    Quote Originally Posted by cap2501 View Post
    I have the manual for my '96 328is and it has a note in the section about the vert roll bars that says:
    "When the hardtop is mounted be sure to install the flexible covers provided along with the hardtop to prevent the rear window from being damaged in the event of system activation"
    I also have the factory options catalog and it says nothing about a conversion kit or anything.
    HA, i didnt even think to RTFM on this!

I wonder what these flexible covers are...

My Cars
    1991 F-250
    i bet it would puncture the windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast