Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there automatic in the 2003 M3's?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200

Is there automatic in the 2003 M3's?

i was wondeirng if they have a automatic transmission for the 03 M3's..i dont want the smg or the stick shift...please let me know and post pictures of the automatic if u can.
    1999 Estoril Blue BMW M3 Convertible.
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    00 S2000, 03 RSX
    i believed there is.

correct me if im wrong

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    any more posters?
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    Carlsson RS wanna-be
    There is no real auto for the E46 M3. The reason is that the SMG II has the auto mod which you don't even have to use the paddles. Don't know if swaping transmission is possible. I've seen peeps in Germany swap out the S54 and put in the V8 from the M5

My Cars
    sixty foh impala holla
    Just get SMG2, it has an auto mode. It works the same as normal auto with the exception of being slightly more jerky in the shifts. But all in all its the best of both worlds.

My Cars
    Automobiles
    The SMG II has 5 automatic modes, and 6 clutch-less manual modes.
    -Zack

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP
    edited for content

We will NOT tolerate bashing or flaming of other members on this board. Please REVIEW the RULES before posting further.

-Ron
    Last edited by themadhatter; 12-28-2002 at 04:39 AM.

My Cars
    '02 M3 SMG, '00 M Roadster, 95 M3 LTW
    Not clutchless, just clutch pedal-less.

That is why the Auto modes are not truely a substitute for an automatic transmission.

Bottom line, if you want an auto, then you really are not a customer for an M car. The E36 M3 auto was an aberation in the M line. No other M car has had an automatic transmission. Including the current M5.
    Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
    '00 Dakar M Roadster
    '02 Topaz M3 SMG

A place with no laws, just "guide-lines", NJ USA
    My Cars
    '03 M3 and '02 WRX Wagon
    Don't take this as a bash.

But with all due respect if your looking for an automatic transmission I honestly believe you would prefer a 540i or (I'm going to get flamed for this ) the Mercedes C32 AMG.

The C32 is a very good car for what it is, a very fast, autobahn Grand Touring car.

I would not expect a true automatic (with torque converter) on an M car anytime soon. BMW is already going to offer a version of the SMG in other models and there has even been some mention (by BMW executives) of replacing the automatic with SMG type transmissions and CVT (constant variable transmission), though this would be far off since neither is perfected yet.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    oh thanx guys....i was driving my aunt's 98 M3 and really liked it since it was a auto.....i think ill get the SMG II
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    drive the 5 spd in an e36 m3 and ull like it even more, 6 spd in e46=god
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    im still under 18, dont know how to drive a stick...man i wish the E46 had auto transmission
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

A place with no laws, just "guide-lines", NJ USA
    My Cars
    '03 M3 and '02 WRX Wagon
    Originally posted by Bailey
    im still under 18, dont know how to drive a stick...man i wish the E46 had auto transmission
    Driving stick is very easy. Trust me it will take a few hours. I learned to drive stick long ago on a Mustang 5.0 during a snow storm. It was scary (and fun), but easy to learn.

With the M3 clutch and shifter it should be a breeze.

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP
    not knowing how to drive a stick is a lame excuse. It takes a couple hours max to get the basics down and a day or two to be profiecient at it. An auto is like margerine when you want the butter of the ///M experience.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    lol..i just dont like the fact how the car sorta moves back when you are shifting gears.
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    Spaceship
    Originally posted by Bailey
    lol..i just dont like the fact how the car sorta moves back when you are shifting gears.

Seriously though, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If the driver knows what he/she is doing, a manual car can be as smooth as any automatic.
    -Jarrett

'04 Scoobaru STi
    Cobb Stage 2 Accessport, HKS 3'' Catless DP, Helix 3'' Catback, Progress Coilovers, Cobb 25mm R. Sway, Cobb Formula Street/Track Pads, Whiteline Diff. Bushings, Rota Torque 17x8 w/ Hankook RS-2, Omori 60mm Boost Gauge, Ricer Wing.

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP
    I'm willing to go out on a limb and call BS on this guy. I read through a bunch of his other posts and the longest one is about two sentences. I say he's thirteen and trying to waste my time. His conversation isn't that of the average intelligence of me and my high school buddies even the stupid ones.

*I'm not trying to flame this user I just have reason to believe he's not what he says he is. Read his other posts you'll see what I'm saying*
    Last edited by Ty Vil; 12-30-2002 at 12:00 AM.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    Seriously though, you have no idea what you're talking about.

If the driver knows what he/she is doing, a manual car can be as smooth as any automatic.
    I totally agree. You control the shift and you make it as smooth as you want.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and call BS on this guy. I read through a bunch of his other posts and the longest one is about two sentences. I say he's thirteen and trying to waste my time. His conversation isn't that of the average intelligence of me and my high school buddies even the stupid ones.
    I don't think that's fair to accuse someone you don't even know like that. He made a factual statement, so don't rip on him.

I think that if you want an auto on the M3 just get SMG, you need no stick experience to drive it.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    "Ty Vil" just stfu ok?...dont assume im a 13 year old.if im trying to waste your fuckin time, just dont read my shit alright?...act like a fag.
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Bailey is right... if you don't like it, don't read it. Bailey, try not to retaliate... that only adds fuel to the fire.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP
    Once again he proves his level of maturity.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Convertible. 200
    ty vil...dont reply alright?..i dont think anyone is listening 2 u since i was asking a question..
    2005 Subaru WRX.
    BOTH DAILY DRIVERS

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP
    NO, they don't make an automatic E46 M3. Learn to drive a stick, trust me it's worth the two hours it takes if it takes you that long and it will become second nature and a good skill to have in life you never know when you're going to need it. Glad I could share my opinion.

My Cars
    '01 M Roadster
    Originally posted by Ty Vil
    NO, they don't make an automatic E46 M3. Learn to drive a stick, trust me it's worth the two hours it takes if it takes you that long and it will become second nature and a good skill to have in life you never know when you're going to need it. Glad I could share my opinion.
    In theory, if you did not know stick, you could still drive an E46 M3. The SMG has an automatic mode that functions in almost the exact same way as an auto.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast