Thread: black smoke with hard acceleration.

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe

Unhappy

I was driving behind my dad today while he was driving our '95 M3 90,000 miles and when he got on the gas i noticed a moderate amount of black smoke come fro the tailpipe. We just bought the car and have no idea of the previous service history, but it runs great. Any ideas of what to check? Thanks.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    black smoke = unburnt fuel.

check the spark plugs, they may need replacing, that solves most unburnt fuel problems.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

Correct,, black means rich... white means lean, gray or blue means oil. smoke and parts on road mean blown motor... smoke in cocpit means fire,, GET OUT
    any questions???
    Tommy aka TampaTurboM3
    95 AA turbo M3
    11.679 @ 118.79 1/4 mile 11/20/2004
    Daily Driven, Stock Looking

My Cars
    M3R6
    Correction.....white smoke means your coolant is going into your combustion chamber.

Alan
    1995 BMW ///M3 - current
    2001 Yamaha R6 CLE #74 - Wrecked due to CAGERS!
    1993 Honda CBR F2 600 - Project bike - SOLD!
    2004 - Honda CBR 1000rr - current

A puffing of black smoke (running rich) at WOT is not a big deal, but if you see more than the norm, your M3 probably has some decent carbon build up (especially at 90K miles). The cure for that is to run some fuel injection cleaner through (Techron is good stuff) and basically ring it out for a while.

<font size=2>US E36 ///M3 FAQ</font><font size=1> v.20 (Recommended for Newbies)</font>
    <font size=1 color=red>eurospeed</font>