Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! my car's electrical system is acting up

My Cars
    '04 Volvo S60R '99 Ford Ranger '06 Chevy Express

PLEASE HELP!!! my car's electrical system is acting up

over the past few months i have finally gotten my car running (after motor swap over a year ago) then hitting something so i needed a new front bumper and such. well just nearly 2 months ago i got the car back on the road and it was running great. then all of a sudden one of my hid bulbs burnt out (just from wear) and i kept my vehicle parked in front my parents house which seemed like forever.

2+ weeks ago i drove the car for the 1st time in a while and it took a little bit to start up, but it did and ran with no problem. i drove it a few days later again with the same slow cranking, but no problems driving. a week or so passed and it gave me a bit more trouble cranking but ran regardless. about 10 mins after i parked it to go get a haircut but i was at the wrong place so i got back in my car.... NOTHING! jumped it off and went to the right place. it sat for about 30 mins while i go my haircut and i obviously needed to jump it again. i then went to a store a block or so away and left the car running while inside swapping out my cell phone which took easily over 30 mins. i felt that this along with a little drive home would help charge the battery some. NEGATIVE!!! i did notice that the ABS light had been lit up and it had happened in one of the previous trips (but not occured before)

well today i went to get a new battery and installed it... NOTHING!!! just as bad as the old battery which leads me to believe my battery was good. the car runs fine after being jumped off but will never crank on its on. i also disconnected my whole stereo system, but this did no good either. i noticed a funny sound when rolling up my windows tonight as well and then all of a sudden the ABS light came back on and stayed.

cliff notes :

car sat for long time without being driven. thought battery went bad from long sitting as well as the onset of the 1st bit of cold temps. noticed ABS light coming on when driving (doesn't stay on all the time or appear everytime.) changed battery still SAME problem occuring. car will only start if jumped off. HELP ME PLEASE!!!
    bf.c common-sense club of america member #3

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Have you checked your starter relay or your grounds? If you have a multimeter then check your battery voltage and then go to the terminal under the hood, where you shold jump the car from, and check the voltage there to see if there is a significant volt drop, there should be some but not much, on the order of .1 to .5 volts.

Hope it works!!!! If not then post again and I'll see what I can think of!

My Cars
    97 M3
    sounds like an alternator problem. you might have to get the alternator replaced.

My Cars
    MTree
    Updates?