My Cars
    2001 X5

Chronic Problem With X5 Power Windows

I bought one of the first 3.0 X5s on the market is September 2000. Since then it has been a love/hate relationship. I have had many maintenance problems and I must admit that BMW repaired most at no cost. It helped that my next door neighbor was the Sales Manager. All of my power windows have failed. Twice the windows shattered. Other times it simply dropped into the door never to return. This weekend while on a trip to memorialize my late mother-in-law my right rear window failed for the third time. I wrote BMW and they said there was nothing they could do because my car was out of warrantee. If you are a BMW newbie and you have a problem with one of your power window, I suggest you get rid of that limon as soon as possible. It is too late for me so I guess I have to pay the price.

My Cars
    328xi
    Never had a problem on my 01. I would guess you're just unlucky or something you do to the car stresses them too much.
    328xi Coupe, Montego Blue on Black with Aluminum trim, Step, Sport, Premium, CA, PDC, Cold Weather (Damn Pennsylvania winters)

My Cars
    2001 X5

Thanks for your reply.

I thank you for your reply to my post, but seven failures of my power windows is beyond the possibilities of user abuse. I have owned cars with power window since 1981 and not once has any of those windows malfunctioned. I have always treated my X5 with loving care and it is a wonderful vehicle to drive, but this is a Chronic problem with this car and I cannot believe that others haven't experience similar problems.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    It's the window regulators failing. Like most that I've posted here in the X5 forums regarding X5 problems, it was always the window regulators for me and I've experienced those instances of missing windows. Otherwise, my car was flawless. Fortunately for me, all 4 window regulators had been replaced under warranty for me and they never failed again until I traded it in for an LR3.

But this is a chronic problem in German vehicles and not exclusive to the X5 and BMWs. I've seen window regulators failing in a couple of W126 Mercedes and a W140 Mercedes that my family had. And these are S-classes. Also happened in my E28, E36,.........

My Cars
    2001 X5

Not Alone Then

I have to believe that BMW recognizes this as a component design problem and should step up and pay the cost of repair whether under warrantee or not. So far my attempts to get them to do so have failed.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmclaughlin View Post
    I have to believe that BMW recognizes this as a component design problem and should step up and pay the cost of repair whether under warrantee or not. So far my attempts to get them to do so have failed.
    This is the result of modern car manufacturers using more and more plastic to replace those that need to be metal.

If you think this is a big deal, check out what we Z3 owners have to go through on a Z3 specific problem.........cracking subframe! If you want to know what I mean, visit the Z3 section and do a search on subframe failures.

My Cars
    2001 1990 Mighty Max,...
    The window regulators are covered by a 2 year warranty. So if you had them replaced at the dealership and it has been less than 2 years then it should be coverd by the spare parts warranty.
    BMW LEVEL 1 AUTOMOTIVE TECH AT WEDGE KYES
    2001 525I.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Venable View Post
    The window regulators are covered by a 2 year warranty. So if you had them replaced at the dealership and it has been less than 2 years then it should be coverd by the spare parts warranty.
    Mine was covered under a 4-year warranty. All my window regulators had been replaced under warranty within the first 4 years I've owned the vehicle.

My Cars
    2001 1990 Mighty Max,...
    OK, what does that have to do with my statement?
    BMW LEVEL 1 AUTOMOTIVE TECH AT WEDGE KYES
    2001 525I.

My Cars
    2001 X5

BMW Steps Up

BMW USA contacted me earlier this week to discuss my situation and yesterday agreed to replace my window regulator at no charge even though it is out of warrentee. I'm scheduled to have the work done next Tuesday. I'll give you an update after that.

My Cars
    x5
    I had 3 of my 4 window regulators go bad, 1st under warranty next 2 were $200/each.
    I do like the driving capability of the car but..............bad sun visor ($250 for replacement, decided forget it), AC out twice (1st free, next $250), cup holder in back broke.
    Now let's get to the fun part.....I do have 149,000 mainly Interstate miles
    on a 01 with 3.0 Sport pkg. 3 axles ($700 each), bad wheel bearing ($600),
    water pump, steering fluid pump, motor mounts flat, and now the latest is a $2000 transfer case....... I do not hot rod this car, just normal driving with occasional towing.
    Anyone else with similar tales?? There's more but I'm tired of typing!

My Cars
    see sig
    I've replaced both rear regulators so far. we don't use the windows much and use the HVAC instead.
    Alan

2006 325i
    2015 M3

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by tomgtv View Post
    I had 3 of my 4 window regulators go bad, 1st under warranty next 2 were $200/each.
    I do like the driving capability of the car but..............bad sun visor ($250 for replacement, decided forget it),...
    So um just curious.. how did your sun visor go bad?

My Cars
    2008 535xi Sport Wagon
    Windows regulators can be found for as little as $80 from parts resellers and is a simply 45 minute DYI project.

My Cars
    E36, E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
    Windows regulators can be found for as little as $80 from parts resellers and is a simply 45 minute DYI project.
    that's how stealerships make $$$.

My Cars
    x5 01
    I know exactly how you feel. Parents bought a 2001 3.0. Since then there has been 3 windows that wouldn't go up. Door handles that won't open in the cold, very weak windshields, a broken crankcase valve, coolant leaks, AC failures, engine belt break-age. ect, i don't even remember.

Even with all this, I love this x5 although my parents have vowed never to buy a bimmer ever again.......

Oh 138,000 miles.

the real sad part about this whole story is..... I asked the service adviser if all BMWs have maintenance problems like this, to disprove to my parents that all BMWs are like this x5. And his reply was something along the lines of "BMWs are high performance vehicles and they require a lot of maintenance. If you cannot afford them, you should go buy a Honda."

average about 1.5k each time i go to the dealership, about every 4-6 months
    Last edited by bmwfanmem; 01-19-2007 at 11:07 AM.

My Cars
    window regulators are prone to fail. if the repair was made within the last two years, it should be fixed free under the 2 year parts warranty!!!
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    BMW X5, Dodge Dakota, Jeep Liberty, Jeep Commanche
    I have had to replace all four regulators twice. My x5 was purchased in October 2000 shortly after they hit the market.