Thread: X band radar in your neck of the woods. . .

My Cars
    1970 Cadillac DeVille

X band radar in your neck of the woods. . .

Anyone out there ever been tagged with an X-band gun?

I never have (here in TX), and was wondering whether you may have in recent memory. Estimates range that X band guns account for less than 10% of the radar gun population, and they continue to dwindle. Most areas do not use them at all anymore. I'm thinking about disabling X band altogether, and am trying to determine whether it is worth the risk.

As an aside, you should all check out www.speedzones.com. They have just completed their detector shootout, which I'm sure will get the V1 zealots all stirred up (I have a Passport 8500).
    In the slow lane

I've not seen police-based x-band radar on the state/interstate highways here in MA, but some local police around here still use it. Most of the x-band I get is from alarms, automatic doors, and (for some odd reason) those programmable street signs (the ones consisting of an array of lightbulbs that they use to indicate construction, etc.)

The other nasty thing around here is that some local police departments have started using lidar around town. Not much warning with those!

Fortunately, they're still not doing much with instant-on from what I've seen.

My V1 has been good to me. It once "saw" a trooper a mile or so down the road, on the other side of a crest, around a bend, hiding behind an overpass. It generally picks up a signal long before I can even see the trooper. Even if it's no longer the most sensitive, I still like the bogey counter, the direction indicator (which isn't perfect, but better than nothing), and it's good enough for me.

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    Suposedly the V1 will be the V2 shortly (rumors on the web). Considering I have had my V1 since 94 or 95 and have not needed to update or fix it (replaced the power cord with a phone wire..gotta love it) and it's still in the top 3....I'm impressed.

If the V2 it as big a jump as the V1 was (and still is)........that will be next detector. Then again, with laser, a jammer seems to be the way to go.

My Cars
    Sold 528iT, Mazda6
    Suposedly the V1 will be the V2 shortly (rumors on the web). Considering I have had my V1 since 94 or 95 and have not needed to update or fix it (replaced the power cord with a phone wire..gotta love it) and it's still in the top 3....I'm impressed.

If the V2 it as big a jump as the V1 was (and still is)........that will be next detector. Then again, with laser, a jammer seems to be the way to go.