Thread: Turbo Track Week End

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Red face Turbo Track Week End

So how was the first installment of turbo car at the race track...

Something like that...

It ran like a rocket! I was impressed with how dam swift it was. I ran it fairly hard but was shifting around 5500-6000 and still pretty much ran down anything in front of me...vette's, Porsche's etc etc...The best part of the whole week end was having a guy in a Porsceh twin turbo having to wave me by becasue he could not out run me, corners OR on the straights He was rather irritated by his wave around gesture

The bad......
    1. RV generator dies 70 miles from home, my father FINALY got it running Sunday morning...
    2. Trailer wheel comes off and goes into the woods never to be seen again...I had to drive the M3 to Barber...We left he trailer inMeridian 85 miles from home...At a buddies car dealership...Thank god for sixth gear!!!
    3. had a strange ass head gasket problem onthe first session car was DOA rest of the week end while I worked onit between instructing. (more in another thread about hte strange ass head gasket problem)
    4. Drove it home car is fine now

Overall I was very happy how it performed. I expected a few teething pains onthe first outing. I am happy with it! Its a dam rocket. Sooooo smooth!!! it just builds speed like adam train! No big hit of power you just start going ass fast!

Things I am going to change/work on...Build a new motor 9:0.1 compresion might try a .82 housing, the .60 is a friking killer street combo thought!!!Revalve the front shocks they need more rebound dampening. and a few other small things...

Head gasket probelm in another thread it was a dam weird one!!!

No video the car didn't last and the RV generator was DOA so the camerra battery would not charge.... oh well....next time...
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Sounds like a very successful first outing. Yeah, sure is a blast getting begruding point bys from turbo P-cars. Awaiting separate thread about your headgasket issue. Crossing my fingers that it's nothing serious.

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    A few BMW's...

P car

Yup he was definatly not happy...

What oil temp do you run on track Neil? My water was fine until the head gasket thing. oil stayed around 200-260 the entire time. I have a huge oil cooler too...not getting much air flow though...
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    2011 1M
    Quote Originally Posted by GGray View Post
    Yup he was definatly not happy...

What oil temp do you run on track Neil? My water was fine until the head gasket thing. oil stayed around 200-260 the entire time. I have a huge oil cooler too...not getting much air flow though...
    Usually runs 245-260 (with an oil cooler).

Neil
    MDORPHN - 2011 Alpine White 1 Series M Coupe w/stuff

My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Smile Oil

Sounds like I'm in the right temp zone. I am going to put a fan on my cooler to help it out. Might put another oil cooler for the turbo feed line...figure it can't hurt! Just have to figure out where to put it!!!!

It was a ton of fun though!!!!
    Gary Gray

My Cars
    02 M3, 95 Supra
    What radiator do you run? You guys should try a large PWR or Fluidyne. When I switched to that, my oil temps went way down (prior to that I was having to slow down by lap 3-4 at big track at WIllow SPrings b/c oil temp was up to 240+F), and after the install I was seeing 200F tops..NO oil cooler. Was runing 1-2 bottles of h20 wetter and distilled H20 only. And I ran with stock clutch fan--without it, I see 15-20F warmer at same track, similar climate. I didn't like that.
    Even with current setup, which is around 25% coolant, I only see 205F tops on street (usually 165-195F) for both water and oil.
    Also, what type of fuel were you using? with all that torque and continued WOT runs, you may want to consider being at least over 96 octane if you're tuned for 93 or lower, especially if temps are going up. The problem with stock h20 temp gauge is it doesn't move off the middle until like after 215-220F, if I remember correctly.
    1995 Supra turbo, 6sp, 830whp info
    Sold:
    2003 M-B S600 V12 TT Renntech, 527whp info
    2002 BMW M3, 6sp, 325whp info
    1997 BMW M3, 260whp, info
    1995 BMW M3 turbo, 550whp, info
    1997 BMW M3
    1996 BMW M3, stock
    1986 Porsche 951, 338whp
    1986 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1983 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    1975 Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT

My Cars
    Z4 M coupe
    Glad nothing went catastrophically wrong

how did the splitter work for you? Also, how can you tell you need more damping up front, what do you look for?
    1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 106++ (calculators put this at 0-60 in "4.21" seconds.)

My Cars
    A few BMW's...

Thumbs up weekend

Well the trailer was a catostrophic failure..but it made some dam cool sparks

Splitter worked great!!! Have to angle it down slightly and it should be fine. already have a buddy wanting one ..

Race seats were DAM NICE! even comfy ont he drive to and from the track I was completely amazed. and my head no longer BANGS the dam sunroof!

I could tell the dampening was not right on the section between tunr 5 and 6. The car would rebound too fast meaning I need to slow the rebound down some. I may end up with some double adjustable shocks that way I can adjust them not send them back every time to get revalved for 150 bucks each!

Other than that it cornered like it was on a rail! Tire wear looked nice and even. probably use the pyrometer next time out to check temps across the tread. Works better than the Butt O meter

It did understeer some. So I need to add a degree of camber to the front when I get camber plates. Probably cure the understeer.
    Gary Gray