Thread: E38 front end vibration

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk

E38 front end vibration

Greetings,
    I have a question for you experts out there. My car ('00 740 Sport with about 75k miles on it) seems to have an interrmittant vibration in the front wheels.

I notice when accelerating through about 50-60mph. It feels like front wheels out of balance or a better description would be like the vibration you get in the steering when you have warped brake rotors and you applied the brakes. But... there is no braking involved in this vibration, although, like I say, the way warped rotors make the steering wheel vibrate when applying the brakes is the exact same sensation I am getting.

I took the car and had the front wheels rebalanced and that seemed to help, but now the vibration is back. Oh, and just to make it more complicated, it doesn't happen all the time.

Any ideas? suspension wear? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    JF

My Cars
    01 740iL w/Sport Package, 01 Lightning, 01 HD F150

My Cars
    09 335i X-Drive Sport
    I have the exact same vibration and I too have not found the culprit!

I was thinking maybe control arms or the rod links to the control arms.
    Everyday is a good day when you can hit 100mph+ on the way to work!
    Sport: ON DSC: OFF

2001 M5 Sold, 2001 740i Sport Sold, 2001 330i Sold, 1995 M3 Sold, 1991 325IX Sold, 1991 318IS Sold,
    1980 633Csi Sold. 2005 CTS-V Sold.

My Cars
    2017 BMW X5M
    You most definitely have tie rod (thrust arm) and/or control arm issues in the front. There is also a center-link that can cause issues. These parts tend to go out around 75-100k miles due to the weight of our cars.

Take the car into a good bmw shop and have them inspect the front suspension for bushing quality. I am certain you will find some of yours are bad or are on their way out.
    2017 BMW X5M
    2017 Tesla Model S 100D
    2012 Ducati 848 Evo
    1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by greene08 View Post
    You most definitely have tie rod (thrust arm) and/or control arm issues in the front. There is also a center-link that can cause issues. These parts tend to go out around 75-100k miles due to the weight of our cars.

Take the car into a good bmw shop and have them inspect the front suspension for bushing quality. I am certain you will find some of yours are bad or are on their way out.
    Afer searching several archives, I am convinced you are right. Now, next question. Are there any upgraded and/or afterfmarket parts available for this issue or shall I just replace the stock units with more of the same? I am a big fan of upgrading when something goes bad when possible. So, as before,... all suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

JF

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Go go Bavauto dot com and navigate to their On Line Magazine (Fast Times)...

In one of their recent articles, in fact I believe it to be their most recent issue, there is an article about front end suspension/steering components with newer rubber bushings. I am not sure if they are available for our sevens, but it's worth a look.

jake

2001 740i Titansilber & grey...daily beater.

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Check the Fall 2006 issue. First page.

Good luck with the dreaded 'front end shimmy'..............

jake

My Cars
    97 740iL
    Joe F - let us know how you resolve it once it's fixed - and cost too if possible. Have a similar issue.

My Cars
    2008 750Li
    1998 740 il Had the same problem between 53-56 pretty bad vibration. Had balance and alignment to no avail. Replaced tires with a set of Michelin Symmetrys, that resolved the probledm. Consensus is that the belts were seperating on the right front tire at that speed due to a centrifical force calculation that was beyond my mathamatical skill. But of course the Dealer reccomended a complete suspension replacement, as the last replacement had 27,000 miles on it. Go Figure. Good Luck with your problem

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr66stang View Post
    Joe F - let us know how you resolve it once it's fixed - and cost too if possible. Have a similar issue.
    I'll be happy to share my solution, if I find one.

In researching this, I have found that bavauto sells parts with polyurethane bushings and I am wondering if any of you have bought any and what is your real world experience with them? My concern ts that they might be so much stiffer that they truly compromise the ride. I don't want that, but I would like to have the crisper turn in they offer. I know, compromise, compromise, compromise. It's just that I would like to get a feel as to just how much compromise might be involved. They seem like a good solution that would solve the problem and allow a slight upgrade in both handling and longevity. But they are considerably more expensive than the rubber bushing sets.

I also came across the 8,10 and 20 piece packages from FCP Groton. They all seem like a great bargain compared buying the individual parts from a shop. All the research I did on them seemed positive.
    How would I know what I need? The 8 part set or the 10 part? And then I find myself asking, "If the fronts wear out between 70-100k miles, how long do the rears last? Should I just get the 20 piece set and do both ends of the car at the same time?

I certainly would appreciate some feedback from those of you that have seen this movie and can tell me what ending you chose for your vibrating 7er, and even more important, Why?

Thanks guys, all comments appreciated.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    I have a similar problem but its intermittent which makes it kinda odd. On cold days and early mornings, its present during the first 5-10 minutes of driving. If I get up to speed (past 60mph) then it goes away and I won't see it again all day. On warm days, don't notice it at all. I'm thinking thrust arm bushings too, but the issue doesn't happen all the time to make me want to change them out asap. Do you guys think its the same issue as everyone is having?
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    2008 Z4 3.0si Bright Red
    Could be the type of tires you are using. Maybe, perhaps.... Check your tire pressures as well.

Usually this phenomenon doesn't just go away as the day warms. JMOHO.

jake

My Cars
    2008 M5
    ah! tire pressures! yes, thanks for the tip. I just got done washing the car and noticed that the front two tires are a bit low...! thanks crewdog!
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk
    shameless bump to see if any of you are using those blue urethane bushings in the front suspension.....

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr66stang View Post
    Ok, it took a while but here is how I solved the problem. After lots of research I decided to throw some parts at the front suspension.

I replaced the following parts with new ones
    L & R control arms
    L & R Traction Struts
    L & R Sway Bar links
    Center tie rod assembly
    L & R tie rod ends (acutally look the same but have different part numbers)
    Idler arm for steering.

Since almost all these parts had rubber bushings on one end and ball joints on the other, or bushings on both ends, I decided that rather than guess which might be bad now and which might last a while longer, I just replaced everything except the struts. Cost for everything was under $700 including all installation and a complete alignment.

I am happy to report that the problem is gone and the car drives like new.

My Cars
    '98 740 il
    Shortly after I bought my '98 740il a couple of years ago, I took it back to the dealer and they said it was probably warped rotors but that I would have to have them look at it. A couple of months ago, I replaced the control arms (the one that the dealer sells you a separate bushing for it) and the problem totally disappeared. I saved a lot of money by buying the Moog brand from O'Reilly Auto Parts and the bushing came with it and was already installed.

My Cars
    hmm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
    Ok, it took a while but here is how I solved the problem. After lots of research I decided to throw some parts at the front suspension.

I replaced the following parts with new ones
    L & R control arms
    L & R Traction Struts
    L & R Sway Bar links
    Center tie rod assembly
    L & R tie rod ends (acutally look the same but have different part numbers)
    Idler arm for steering.

Since almost all these parts had rubber bushings on one end and ball joints on the other, or bushings on both ends, I decided that rather than guess which might be bad now and which might last a while longer, I just replaced everything except the struts. Cost for everything was under $700 including all installation and a complete alignment.

I am happy to report that the problem is gone and the car drives like new.
    May I ask where you took your car? I live in the Portland area, and am going to have the same "procedure" done on my car in the future. 700 installed sounds like an awesome price. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    '12 335i MSport E92 Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by h2co32 View Post
    May I ask where you took your car? I live in the Portland area, and am going to have the same "procedure" done on my car in the future. 700 installed sounds like an awesome price. Thanks in advance.

I ordered this kit for parts...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...0402QQtcZphoto

These guys did the work. It took less than two hours.

http://www.tirefactory.com/Stores/store082.html

Call and make appt with Bud, the owner.

I have no affiliation with either business. Let me know if you have addidtioal questions.

Good luck.

My Cars
    '98 740 il
    I replaced mycontrol arms on my 1998 750il with aftermarket parts and they did not last as well as the factory originals.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    87' E30 - 97' E38
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom16v View Post
    I replaced mycontrol arms on my 1998 750il with aftermarket parts and they did not last as well as the factory originals.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    how long did they last? i just went with a cheaper option on my control arms due to budget issues and im curious what i can expect.