Thread: WTF? My VIN # doesn't match the cars paint schemes. . .

My Cars
    Z3

WTF? My VIN # doesn't match the cars paint schemes. . .

I'm in the process of purchasing a car. VIN number WBACN33421LK46248

I went to order a top for my future 2001 Z3 car and the parts guy tells me the VIN number indicates the car is Beige interior and Red exterior.

This car is actually Red interior and black exterior.

is the parts guy mistaken or is something very fishy going on?

Here is a link to the car's web page with pictures and corresponding VIN number.

http://www.bmwofpeoria.com/used_vehi...4ed72fb&bhcp=1

We are very close to closing a deal and I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to call up the dealership and cause a fuss only to find out I don't know what I'm talking about. Some feedback would be helpfull, especially if someone here is in a position to double check the VIN number.

Cheers,
    Kevin

My Cars
    Z3
    Hmmmm Dealership called me back and said they made a mistake when the vin code was posted. They said the last two digits were mixed up. They should have been 84 not 48. The proper code is supposedly

WBACN33421LK46284.

Now I'm of course a bit suspicious. Is there an easy/cheep way to check the new VIN number they provided?

My Cars
    01 LSB 367M
    Call another dealer and have them pull the info? Just a guess.

2001 S54 LSB/NAPA. 1 of 7.

My Cars
    00 M roadster, 98 SVT Contour, 04 Sienna, 08 C300
    carfax?
    dion
    '00 M roadster, modded
    '98 SVT Contour, lots of mods
    '04 Sienna XLE LTD AWD
    '08 MB C300 Sport, P1, 18's
    Tamiya TA05, Evolution IV MS, CR-01
    Kyosho MP777 SP2
    Losi BK2 and MRC
    Traxxas Slash, hopped-up.
    newest toy is the Tamiya TRF801XT

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Call them and tell them to email you a pic of the VIN?

I wouldnt worry about it. No way they repainted the car and changed out the interior.

My Cars
    Z3
    I tried CarFax. It doesn't say what a specific Vin number came with in terms or options and color schemes. What it does say is all the possible options and color/paint schemes which are numerous.

I agree not likely they repainted the whole car and changed the interior. What did go through my head was, (Take one written off Z3 VIN plate and dash and slap it on one stolen car and vowla)

I expect that the most likely scenerio is a mistake made in the typing of the VIN but I think it would be foolish of me to not follow up a bit more before handing over a whack of cash.

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Have them email you a picture. The plate on the driver door jamb is big enough to photograph clearly.

My Cars
    2001 1990 Mighty Max,...
    Ask for a DCS report. This will give you all the options that the car came with, the warranty info, the service history, and tell you if it has any recalls that have yet to be done.
    BMW LEVEL 1 AUTOMOTIVE TECH AT WEDGE KYES
    2001 525I.

My Cars
    '05 GTO
    VIN is in several places, dash and door are two. It seems pretty unlikely that a dealer would be selling a car with a redone interior, full repaint and/or swapped VIN tags. Have the parts guy look up the corrected VIN and if the colors check out, I wouldn't worry.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    Kevin,
    Get the dealer/seller to take a pic. of the big identification plate inside the engine compartment. It's on the firewall.
    The exterior and interior color code is there in numeric values: mine are 405/3, the 405 is Imola Red and the 3 is black.
    We'll be able to figure out exactly what's going on if we can see one of your ID plates.
    Get the dealer to email you one then post it here. We enjoy solving a good mystery.
    -John C.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '74 2002
    Any dealer worth their salt would try to remedy this situation and put your mind at ease - albeit with a picture of the VIN plate and/or a CARFAX report. If your dealer tries to write this off as 'nothing to worry about' and doesn't take you seriously then I would cut your loss and find one elsewhere from a reputable dealer. Just my .02 worth.

Cheers,
    Bill

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,

My Cars
    Z3
    The Vin Decode link seems really cool but didn't work for me. Said my IP was blocked. Might have something to do with me being behind a firewall at work.