Thread: Anyone has instruction on how to install front armrest?

My Cars
    97 M3/4

Question Anyone has instruction on how to install front armrest?

Just ordered a front center armrest from dealer a while ago and should be getting it today. In case I get a lame instruction, does anybody have a detailed instruction on armrest installation/tips that might be helpful?

I still think the car should've come with one.

Thanks,
    E

Easy DIY. Instructions ARE lame, though. Pop out the hazard light button to get to the console screw (instructions fail to mention this little tid bit. After that - very easy. Great mod.

how much did the stealer charge you>?

Originally posted by rockstar
    how much did the stealer charge you>?
    I think I paid like $185 at VOB in MD.

My Cars
    BMW E46 M3 SMGII
    I did mine long time ago....with out instruction....but I had one before I just replaced it....so I think it's really easy to put it in...since i know how to remove it out.....however, I gave my old one to my friend and help him installed....it likes TechnoViolent said....pop out the hazard light button ....etc... should be fine...you can do it... :
    GuN......Hell yeah...called me "GuN"

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/nyegun/">My BMW Website</a>
    http://www.geocities.com/nyegun/
    <a href="http://communities.msn.com/GuNBMWHomepage">My Other Website</a>
    http://communities.msn.com/GuNBMWHomepage
    BMW E46 M3 '02 SMGII

My Cars
    97 M3/4

Question help!!!!!

Thanks, Techno and Gun, here goes:

The armrest kit I got comes with no instruction whatsoever!!!

I went ahead anyway and managed to take out my center console. I can kinda guess where the 3 long screws (for the armrest bracket) should go (tell me if I'm wrong tho'):
    #1 goes right to the side of the parking brake handle.
    #2 goes to the far right side of the brake handle, covered with plastic tab, which I had to pop out first. This pointed somewhat sideways.
    #3 goes where the rear ashtray is.

The screws also comes with plastic spacers, metal spacers, and some "o" rings. I have no idea how they will fit in without the instructions.

There are also a thick carpet and insulation under screw #1 & 2 - Looks like I need to cut a piece off to be able to install the armrest bracket- should I?

Once I get the bracket in, the rest looks like snap-on pieces and should be easy.....

Appreciate the help, guys,
    -E

Re: help!!!!!

Originally posted by vroo//M
    The screws also comes with plastic spacers, metal spacers, and some "o" rings. I have no idea how they will fit in without the instructions.
    metal spacers go into the large, deep slots of the big plastic "structure" that holds the armrest.
    There are also a thick carpet and insulation under screw #1 & 2 - Looks like I need to cut a piece off to be able to install the armrest bracket- should I?
    yes, you have to trim the carpet.

i just install an armrest in an E36...damn...i should have saved the directions!

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    I'm in the presence of "The BenLiaw" of the big bmw links!!

Where do the plastic spacers go? How much do you have to trim the carpet?-just enough to get to the 2nd screw in?

PS: nice V1 install there, any idea when they will come up with V2 yet? wanted V1 for a while, but was told to wait due to V2 rumor.

Originally posted by vroo//M
    Where do the plastic spacers go? How much do you have to trim the carpet?-just enough to get to the 2nd screw in?
    there should be (from memory)

- 3 spacers
    - 1 bolt with built in washer
    - 2 bolts without washers
    - 2 washers
    - 2 rubber "o-ring" type grommets
    - 2 "funnel-shaped" plastic pieces

you have to trim the carpet away, to expose the 3rd bolt hole, which is not used in the non-armrest console. don't worry, the new console covers it nicely.

the 1 bolt with built in washer, goes in the more rearward hole, with a spacer. don't tighten it all the way...just so the head is still loose (you'll see what i mean soon).

the "big plastic support", which support the armrest, must first "hook" into the bolt you just put in. look at the slot...it's designed to drop on, and slide forward. from there, you can install the other spacers and bolts (with the 2 washers on top). don't tighten all the way, yet.

when you have all 1 bolt (most rearward) latched on, and the 2 other bolts threaded in, push the entire "plastic support" forward, all the way. you'll appreciate this tip, otherwise, you'll be taking it apart again. once pushed all the way forward, tighten down all 3 bolts.

snap on front cover of the big plastic support and main console.

install armrest this way:

- put rubber "o-rings" on the sides of the plastic support...there are two little spots for them, just UNDER the large hole.
    - put in armrest
    - slide in "funnel" pieces from either side

lastly, snap on rear cover, secure with screw you took out from original console.

actual install should be around 1 hour. mine took a little longer because i customized it (will take pictures at some point)

PS: nice V1 install there, any idea when they will come up with V2 yet? wanted V1 for a while, but was told to wait due to V2 rumor.
    haven't heard about the V2.

considering i feel nekkid driving with the V1, i personally don't think it's worth the wait (or the risk!)

My Cars
    97 M3/4

Thumbs up

Thanks, Ben

I'll give this instruction a shot later today when I get off work.
    What kind of customization can you do to your armrest?
    Did you try fitting the E46 armrest in place of E36's? E46's looks more refined and comes with extra compartment underneath too.

-E-

as you can see, my ti no longer has an ashtray/cig lighter, because of the gauges. not a huge deal, since i don't smoke.

my V1 is hardwired, so i don't need the cig lighter for that, either.

however, it would be nice to have the cig lighter to plug in my cell phone charger. so, i installed the cig lighter in the new armrest console.

you can only see it when you lift the armrest now.

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    Finally got them to fax me the install instruction and guess what, it is titled "Zubehor - Einbauanleitung - Armauflage vorn BMW 3er-Reihe E36"

LOL the whole thing is in german, but at least it's got the graphics so I can guess what to do with it. and the instructions is incomplete to boot.

Thanks everyone for their help.
    -E-

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vroo//M
    Finally got them to fax me the install instruction and guess what, it is titled "Zubehor - Einbauanleitung - Armauflage vorn BMW 3er-Reihe E36"

LOL the whole thing is in german, but at least it's got the graphics so I can guess what to do with it. and the instructions is incomplete to boot.

Thanks everyone for their help.
    -E-
    Hi there. Any chance you could fax me the German instructions? I just got my armrest and a little confused on how to install the damn thing! Thanks.

Fax: 530.660.1884